Author Topic: Edwin Tyler JAMES  (Read 4383 times)

Offline DAVID WALTERS

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edwin Tyler JAMES
« on: Sunday 21 November 10 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Moderator Comment: title edited to remove excess capital letters.
See Topic: >>----- Guidelines for Postings / Netiquette -----<< , Reply #2 for explanation.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,123033.0.html

EDWIN TYLER JAMES HISTORY (REPOSTED)
BORN: 1891 CAERAU, MAESTEG, BRIDGEND?
DIED: 5th December 1958, CAERAU, MAESTEG, BRIDGEND.

I have been on RootsChat.com all week, trying to find my grandfather. EDWIN TYLER JAMES.
He married my grandmother MARGARET (MAGGIE) EVANS, on the 29th November 1911. At BRIDGEND, and both spent the rest of their lives living in CAERAU (maybe cymmer at times). Both lived with my mother BRENDA WALTERS (JAMES) till their deaths.
EDWIN TYLER JAMES on the 5th December 1958.
MARGARET (MAGGIE) JAMES on the 17 Jul 1965.

Their children are:
JOHN 1912-1914
EDWINA 1913-1973.
Then came the war years when he was in the army 7/4/1915 to 29/1/1919 and I believe he was wounded. Medal index found for an EDWIN TYLER JAMES, still not sure it is the same man. Then came:
VICTOR 1918-1995
MARY 1920-1973
BRYNLEY 1925-1983
ERIC 1928-1971
BRENDA JAMES (MY MOTHER), 1930-2003
EDDIE 1933-?

I have been having trouble finding ANY records of EDWIN TYLER JAMES.
I have their marriage certificate and his death certificate. On the wedding certificate he is 21, and living at 24, Victoria Street, Caerau and a coal miner. BUT no father’s name given, here is the catch, within the family there was a hushed talk of him being adopted, or born out of wedlock (maybe the child of a older sister), AND talk of a name change. Even my mother could not answer this question, all the family have now passed away. So I have no one to talk too that knew him.
A birth certificate was never found, when my father registered his death. I have no knowledge of his father or mother, if he had any sisters or brothers, and it was expected that he was born in the Caerau area. How would he meet my grandmother if not? I can share any information from both certificates that I hold.

Information found: he was not living at 24, Victoria Street; Caerau (so says the 1911 census, but a Jones family). My grandmother’s address was then 12, Alexandra Road, Caerau (there I found her on the 1911 census aged 17), but she was 21 later the same year.
I did find an EDWIN JAMES TYLER born in Llanelly (Llanelli) Jan-Feb-Mar 1891 11a/981.
I will leave these facts first. And with a possible link to a family later.

DEAR FRIENDS, CAN ANYONE FIND ANY TRAIL FOR EDWIN TYLER JAMES.
Wales.
Walters, James, Evans, Tebbutt, Bartle.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: EDWIN TYLER JAMES
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 November 10 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,
I checked for Edwin James born c 1890 on the 1901 Census and most were with their Parents.

There is one that is a little interesting though.

1901 Census
Industrial School
Merthyr Tydil, Glamorganshire, Wales
RG13/5027/119/56

Edwin TYLER, 12, Inmate, born Glam, Ferndale

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline DAVID WALTERS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: EDWIN TYLER JAMES
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 November 10 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Very interesting! That is a new line. But yet again Edwin James, and not Edwin T James. Thanks for your help.
Wales.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edwin Tyler JAMES
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 November 10 11:05 GMT (UK) »
David

Have you sent for Edwin James Tyler's birth cert as I suggested some time ago.  There will be a mother's name and maybe an address that might help - although I acknowledge that it might not!  I would certainly think it worth the fee.
MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline DAVID WALTERS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 November 10 13:03 GMT (UK) »
No I have not yet. I am still awaiting for for a different family member first, bit costly over time if not the right name. But I will keep it in mind.
Wales.

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 November 10 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello David :)

Re the James family at Gilfach Goch, Llantrisant, Glamorgan in 1891 (that you mentioned on another thread), it is interesting to note that in 1881 there was a Tyler family at Pen Pound Row, Llantrisant
RG11   5298 / 27 Page 48

They had grown-up sons and an adopted son named Evan O Thomas age 6 born Pontypridd. I'm not saying that Evan is significant but perhaps your Edwin has a connection to this Tyler family....

Offline DAVID WALTERS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 November 10 04:46 GMT (UK) »
A very interesting line to follow. But Evan here is born in 1875. My grandfather gave his age as 21 on the 29th November 1911 on his wedding day, so I am looking at someone born around 1890. If I have the right connection with the family at Gilfach Goch, it would be the older sister’s connection to the Tyler family that would be very interesting. Did you see the names of the older sister’s of the James family? I could put them back on if anyone is interested.
I
 keep asking the question why would a family already with five of more children adopt a child? Unless the child was born by a near relative, maybe a daughter’s child born out of wedlock? I am sorry to think this about my grandfather, but either way it was not his fault. Then there is the question what name did he go by for 21 years before he signed himself as EDWIN TYLER JAMES on his wedding day?

As a side line question, I do not know how to use RG11   5298 / 27 Page 48 reference in a search. (I found your search by the address). I am on Ancestry, I seen something like these boxes on the Mormon history site, but I believe that is for film codes. Where do I go to find things by these codes? Remember I have a mind of a 61 year old man.
Many thanks for your help.
Wales.

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 November 10 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

I provided the RG reference for completeness, but you can search using the number too (although I haven't done so). This link may help:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,385301.0.html

Wasn't suggesting that Evan O Thomas was your Edwin, but just that one of the Llantrisant Tyler family could be Edwin's father!

Another thought: you could purchase 1890 Edwin James Tyler's birth certificate on condition that Mother's surname (or maiden name) is James.
Llanelly 11a 981

Tyler wasn't a common name in Llanelli so perhaps Edwin's mother was from outside the area. (There aren't any Tylers in Llanelly 1881-1901 although there are some in Carmarthen district)

Best wishes
Morgan

Offline DAVID WALTERS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 November 10 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you every one for helping me. I drove down to South Wales yesterday for a week, and last night spent 5 hours visiting three of my older cousins homes to share my research and to check through everyone’s photos. Great evening! On sharing  our research on Titus being EDWIN brother, two said yes, there was a Uncle Titus living in Caerau. One was able also to share that there was money sent from someone (believed to be from the states), that supported EDWIN TYLER JAMES for a while (more likely the father) then the money stopped.
They also believe that Gwen one of EDWIN’s half sister run a sweet shop on Caerau Road, with her husband. This must have been in the 1950-1970 for my cousins to know this, Maybe Murphy’s shop. Anyone able to check for shops on Caerau Road pleas?
But the family is right and these are his half brother. But not yet the father or mother of Edwin?
Wales.