Author Topic: Just beginning search of Scott family, Rev'ds Co Down  (Read 10344 times)

Offline *Di*

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Just beginning search of Scott family, Rev'ds Co Down
« on: Tuesday 23 November 10 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello, great to find this site.... I am a complete beginner with much to learn.. my husbands Grandfather who we had no knowledge of really was Rev'd JHH Scott, who was the rector in Ardkeen untiil his passing in 1930.. his eldest son AW Scott was Rev'd at Arvagh until his passing in 1977  We have little information, though thanks to a kind person from local village site in Ardkeen sending me a Church History book I now have some dates and photographs of JHH Scott, the Church and rectory etc.. I wonder how hard/easy it is to obtain birth/death/marriage certificates of Irish ancestors?.... Look forward to learning as much as possible, for future generations of Scott's..    :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Just beginning search of Scott family, Rev'ds Co Down
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 November 10 23:31 GMT (UK) »
There's an Arvagh in Co. Cavan- is this the one you mention?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arvagh

Church at Ardkeen, Co. Down mentioned here-
http://www.historyfromheadstones.com/index.php?displaygraveyardinfo&graveyard_name=Ardkeen

If you haven't done any Irish research yet have a look at Introduction to Irish Records to get an idea of what might be available and how to find materials-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,442233.0.html

You haven't given us any dates so it's difficult to give exact information.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 09:43 GMT (UK) »
J.H. Scott is listed in the Church of Ireland section of the Ecclesiastical listing in Thom's 1914

J. H. Scott, B.A, parish of Ardkeen (Diocese of Down), posttown Ardkeen.

He doesn't seem to be included in the 1894 listings. At that time the minister at Ardkeen in Down is a Hugh Stowell.

I cant see any sign of J.H. Scott in Ardkeen on the 1911 census, but Rev. Stowell is shown in the parish in 1901 - see : link

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline *Di*

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for reply Shane... yes, I know that JHH Scott became Rector of Arkdeen in 1911 to 1930... before that at Ballynure and Ballyeaston...  I have actually had a development overnight in that someone may have information about other grandchildren in the area, so I am keeping fingers crossed that comes to fruition... if not I will still be researching and trying to find birth/marriage and death certificates etc...  Thanks again for replies..   :)

Di   x

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 10:29 GMT (UK) »
have you found the family on the 1911 census ?

The return contains details that would be very useful for your search - e.g. county of birth, age, number of years married etc

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline *Di*

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Ive just looked again following your earlier reply in the 1911 return, but JHHScott isnt on there?... I am new to all this as I said, but I wonder if I have to have help at one of our  main libraries to search census records for Ireland, that's what I am waiting to do at the moment.  I did wonder if he took up the post at Ardkeen maybe just after the 1911 census was completed?  Is there a census available for 1921?..  Your reply is much appreciated...  :)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 10:47 GMT (UK) »
There was no census taken in Ireland in 1921 due to the war of Independence - and from 1922 the processes became separate North & South. Next census in Southern Ireland was 1926 (not planned to be made public until 2026). Not sure when the next Northern Ireland census was... but I dont believe there was one in 1931..

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 11:11 GMT (UK) »
I have not been able to find any promising matches for Rev. Scott on the 1911 census ... do you know his first name ?

I'll have a check of the Ecclesiastical listing in Thom's 1904 this evening to see if there's any sign of him at that stage.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 11:26 GMT (UK) »
could this be him in 1911 - Joseph Henry Scott, Main St, Ballyclare ?

Shane
My Surname Interests