Author Topic: Completed - Help with reading a will please - 1842 Royal Naval Hospital in Malta  (Read 2576 times)

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hi All,  I am hoping you can help me with, or point me in the right direction.The will is for Thomas Puplett. B1809 in London to Thomas Puplett (Lighterman) and Barbara Dunkes. The only other record I have for Thomas is a copy of his will from the National Archives that states that he was a Quartermaster on Her Majesty’s Steamer Ship the Phoenix. It was written at the Royal Naval Hospital in Malta and proved in London in November 1842. I am unable to fully decipher all of the will, only that his mother Barbara (Richardson, as she had remarried) was the executrix. I have been delighted at the quick response and excellent help offered by my last Thomas will and look forward to any response.
Regards, Jo :)
Also, where would I lokk for help on both the Phoenix and Thomas's military history? Although I can find references to the Phoenix, I am unable to pinpoint what it was doing in 1841/42, what troops were on board and why? So any ideas that you may have on where to look or who to contact would be great.
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Help with reading a will please - 1842 Royal Naval Hospital in Malta
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 04:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Jo :)

I am working on the will for you...meantime, I had a quick look on the National Archives (UK) website to see if there's anything indexed for this Thomas; I didn't find anything, but I did find a record for your other Thomas POPLETT:

Item reference WO 121/131/17
THOMAS POPLETT alias THOMAS POPLITTS
Born ST BARTHOLOMEW'S, London and Middlesex
Served in 25th Dragoons (Light)
Discharged aged 24 after 7 years 6 months of service
Covering dates give year of enlistment to year of discharge.

If you go to http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/ and type the Item Reference number in the box near the top of the page (captioned "Go to reference") you will be able to bring up the item summary.  When you're in the summary, click on "Ordering and Viewing Options" to see how you can get a copy of the document/s.

I wonder if an enquiry on the armed forces board, about the Thomas who served on the Phoenix, might get you some results?

Cheers
Prue

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 04:59 GMT (UK) »
Here you go Jo  :D

Thomas
Puplett
otherwise
Pupplett

Royal Naval Hospital at Malta
In the Name of God Amen
I Thos Pupllett Quarter Master of Her Majesty's Ship (Steamer) Phoenix now a Patient in
Malta Naval Hospital being of sound and disposing mind and memory do hereby make this
my last will and testament that is to say I give and bequeath unto my friend Oliver Ash Sailmaker
of Her Majesty's steam ship Phoenix all my clothes bedding and such money belonging to me as may
remain in the hands of the Hospital Agent at Malta and to my Mother Barbara Pupplett living at
No 25 Charles Street St Johns Horsley Town [pretty sure this refers to Horsleydown] London all such wages prize money allowances and other sum
or sums of money as now are or hereafter may be due to me for my service on board the said Ship or any
other ship or vessel of the Royal Navy  And do hereby nominate constitute and appoint Oliver Ash aforesaid
Executor and my Mother Barbara Pupplett aforesaid Executrix of this my last will and testament thereby
revoking and making void all other and former wills by me heretofore made and do declare this to be my last
will and testament  In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this ninth day of September in
the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and forty two and in the sixth year of the reign of our
Sovereign Lady Victoria by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland Queen
Defender of the faith - Thos Puplett - Signed sealed published and declared by the said Thomas
Pupplett as and for his last will and testament in the presence of Doctor William Martin Mr Edwd
Nolloth and Mr John Russell who have hereunto subscribed their names as witnesses in the presence of
each other and of the said Testator on the day of the date above written.  Witnesses - William Martin -
Edwd Nolloth - John Russell.

Proved at London 30th Novr 1842 before the Worshipful John ?Danbay Doctor of Laws and Surrogate by the
oath of Barbara Richardson (wife of William Richardson formerly Puplett) in the will written Pupplett ?
the Mother one of the executors to whom Adm[inistrati]on was granted having been first sworn duly to administer
power reserved of making the like grant to Oliver Ash the other Executor when he shall apply for the same.

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 November 10 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Prue, you have been incredibly helpful. I have ordered a quote on the cost of receiving the records you suggested from the National Archives and will take your advice on the using the military forums. This week has been my first time using Roots chat and I have been blown away by how amazing a resource it is and how incredibly helpful all have been.

I have about another ten wills that I could use some help with, is it too much to post them all? I'm not sure of the etiquette and don't want to overuse peoples time.

On the subject of my first Thomas, I will have to wait until my scanner is back in action but would like to post Louisa's will, for all those who have shown such an interest in the sad story, I have been unable to find any!!! reference to Penelope Gale, which is a shame. I hoped that if I knew where she was from, the chances were that Thomas was born there also!

I will change this and the other Thomas' post to Completed and thank you and all others, again for your brilliant work.

Regards, Jo
Sipthorpe - Lancashire

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Completed - Help with reading a will please - 1842 Royal Naval Hospital in Malta
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 December 10 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Jo

Thomas was serving on HMS Phoenix in 1840, because he is listed on the medal roll for the bombardment of St Jean D'Acre on 3 November 1840. For this service he would have been entitled to the Naval General Service Medal with the 'Syria' clasp. However, the medal was not authorised until 1847, and only men alive at that date were able to claim their medal. Oliver Ash was still alive in 1847, and he did claim his medal.

On the question of his service prior to 1840, if you can get to the National Archives at Kew and consult HMS Phoenix Description Book (ADM 38/8720), this should provide a physical description, and a list of his previous ships.

Martin

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Completed - Help with reading a will please - 1842 Royal Naval Hospital in Malta
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 December 10 02:31 GMT (UK) »
Martin, Thank you, I have searched so much for information on the Phoenix and possible places of service that to have that shred of information is brilliant. I have now been able to find a list of that roll on Ancestry (a new release - mustn't have been there on previous searches). Unfortunately I live in Australia and as much as I have made my husband promise me a trip to the archives if ever we win the lottery, it doesn't look likely in the near future. I have previously had some quotes from the archives on having information sent to me and found them to be exorbitant. Do you have any idea if the Malta hospital records are accessible anywhere online? I would love to know what happened to him?? I very much appreciate your time and efforton my behalf.
Regards, Jo
Sipthorpe - Lancashire

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 December 10 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo

I'm afraid I know of no on-line records for Bighi Hospital. However, the National Archives have three sets of records that are likely to answer you questions: ADM 304/21-24, 14-18 & 36-41.

The NA will no longer search records for an individual, and will only print off an entire document, hence the reason for the high price! However, I can recommend a researcher, but have no idea as to his fees, although he is used extensively by the medal collecting fraternity. I only wished I lived closer to the NA, because I would love to do this for you just out of interest.

Martin

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 December 10 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Martin,
I would love to have the name of your researcher, it can't hurt to get a quote and maybe my Christmas present this year can be some research funds! I too wish you lived closer - so many of my relatives come from London - including my own mum!, but no-one who lives there now to ask. If I do happen to find out more I would love to be able to forward it to you. It is always great to share all this with someone who appreciates it. I spend an incredible amount of time and money on all of this and no-one in my family appreciates it in the slightest. You can actually see their eyes glaze over as relate my latest "discovery". Hopefully one day they will see the value but for now I enjoy it immensely and find it to be a great source of enjoyment and relaxation. As a full time working mother, with three children aged three to fifteen, I need all the relaxation that I can get! So thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you again.
Merry Christmas, Jo.
Sipthorpe - Lancashire

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 December 10 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo

I will PM you with the name of the researcher.

I know just what you mean about the eyes glazing over. I collect Victorian medals to men of the Royal Navy and Marines, and when I discuss them with my wife I get exactly the same look - now if it was crafting she would be all ears!!!

You and your family have a really good Christmas, and please do let me know the results of your research.

Best Regards

Martin