Author Topic: Banbury or Mixbury parish records - Joseph MATTHEWS - COMPLETED  (Read 2118 times)

Offline mjgorton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Banbury or Mixbury parish records - Joseph MATTHEWS - COMPLETED
« on: Friday 26 November 10 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Would anyone be able to help me locating the birth / baptism of an ancestor of mine? His name was Joseph Matthews and he was born some time around 1800 - possibly in one of the two above locations.

He lived in Banbury - the problem is that the census info is rather confused for this chap.

1841 gives his dob as around 1806 - and birthplace as NOT in Oxfordshire.
1851 as about 1801 in Banbury
1861 as about 1797 in Mixbury
1871 as about 1797 in Banbury again.

Other info on the censuses does make me fairly sure that it's all the same guy. His death certificate from 1876 gives his age as 79 which puts us back in 1797 again, but I do wonder if perhaps the earlier dates are more accurate. I'm not currently able to get to Oxfordshire to check sources, so would be very grateful for any assistance.
many thanks
Michael

Offline Patricia jackson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Banbury or Mixbury parish records - Joseph MATTHEWS
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 November 10 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Census details were not always reliable  - the 1841census had the ages in most cases rounded up to the nearest five . Sometimes a person didn't know their true age and made a guess. did he marry? any ideas about his parents? you may find a family tree has been put on a genealogy site - worth a try - if so they may be able to help.  Have you checked the Hugh Wallis site?  or the Family search site? if you google you will get the web addresses. Please remember if you find him that these records are from the IGI if they are extracted records  they have  been copied from parish records and are possibly inaccurate so when time permits it is always best to check the parish records yourself. Disregard if it is member submitted as it could be very vague and also inaccurate                                     
Brown, Twizell, Storey & fenwick  from Northumberland, Parkinson, from Lincolnshire, Kelly, Kinsella  & Mcguire from Ireland. Mellor originally from Derbyshire, Allens from Norfolk and Jackson originally from Sutton Coldfield.

Offline mjgorton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 November 10 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Apologies for not giving the full picture.

Joseph did get married - his wife was called Sarah Slatter who seems to have come from Banbury. There is a marriage on the IGI 5th July 1826 in Birmingham between Joseph Matthews & Sarah Slater which could be them - their eldest son was born in 1827 so it does fit, though what they were doing in Birmingham I don't know (Joseph worked on the canals, which might explain it).

I have looked on Familysearch and other sites but can't find anyone who seems to fit. The closest is a Joseph Matthews baptised in Tingewick in 1802 - Tingewick is pretty close to Mixbury - but someone on Genes Reunited had him in their tree & told me that that wasn't the same person. I have been in contact with a number of people on Genes Reunited and Ancestry (among others) but no-one else seems to have his birth or parents either.

So I reckon that the answer might be in the parish records, as I know that even if a parish is transcribed there are sometimes gaps so it's best to look, but it may be a long time before I can do that, unfortunately.

Michael

Offline Patricia jackson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 November 10 18:16 GMT (UK) »
On the IGI there is a Joseph Matthews born 6.12.1808 at Deddington Oxford. Parents William & Isabella could this be your Man? not sure where Deddington is in relation to Banbury  though :)
Brown, Twizell, Storey & fenwick  from Northumberland, Parkinson, from Lincolnshire, Kelly, Kinsella  & Mcguire from Ireland. Mellor originally from Derbyshire, Allens from Norfolk and Jackson originally from Sutton Coldfield.

Offline mjgorton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 November 10 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Unfortunately a number of people on Ancestry have that Joseph on their tree - not him it seems. Thank you for looking though.  :)

Michael

Offline lotteex

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 November 10 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I checked the Parish records for Mixbury today at the Library for Joseph's baptism and couldn't find him mentioned. There were no Banbury records for baptisms for the period around 1800, didn't start until 1806

Lottee
Mason - Yorkshire
Manger -Tynemouth/Hull
Turner - Cottingham
Franklin - Cottingham
Lawrence - London
Bailey - Northumberland
Butler - Hampshire/Channel Isles
Harms - Hampshire/London/India/Northumberland
Timson - Ware, Hertfordshire
Wild & Nield - Lancashire
Row(e) - Buckinghamshire