Author Topic: bensimon  (Read 3426 times)

Offline Niknak13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: bensimon
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 November 10 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Your chat is most amusing! The only Bensimons I found on Ancestry were the ones from Russia. I never checked into the Samuel who wenbt from Morocco to the USA  maybe I should follow up on him as bit, maybe he did a stint in South Africa at some point, impregnating a bunch of my relations! Does this record show anywhere that he was married to a Frederica Schubert?
I have tried finding info on the South African website, Ancestry24, but its a miserable website with very little to offer, and appalling slow to boot.

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 December 10 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello Nicky and Maryam ( ;)),

I had my first encounter with ancestry24 just now ... the connection timed -out!

Anyway, from another site I noticed that they have an agreement with the Anglican Church Archives at Wits University for the capture and publication of the marriage and baptism records of some of South Africa’s oldest churches including St. George's Cathedral.

It must be possible to contact the archives directly and request look-ups for the Bensimons in the 1860s. I get the impression that St. George's was the main (if not the only) Anglican church in CT.

You could at least enquire about Samuel B's marriage in 1863.

I managed to obtain transcriptions of the baptism records of my Pietermaritzburg-born ancestors/relatives.

Justin

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 December 10 09:41 GMT (UK) »
I think the Samuel Bensimon that Maryam found is well worth pursuing in the US censuses.

It occurred to me that Abel's and Alfred's father may have simply abandoned them and a story about dying fathers and mudslides was created to conceal an unpleasant truth.

Justin

Offline Maryam

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 December 10 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi  8)

No luck finding SB in US censuses so far  :-\  I even resorted to "Samuel" born "Morocco"!  And the witness Samuel Osiel is not leaping out of the pages either  :-\

I'll keep looking....

KR
Maryam

Offline Niknak13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 December 10 20:43 GMT (UK) »
I dont understand people who arent as obssessive as I am about my family. The rest of my family shake their heads at me in disbelief and my kids give me the hairy eyeball when i sit down in front of the PC - they all think Ive lost it. None of them cares about the ancient rellies. There must be some truth to the one chap on the other link that said he found a Samuel B in the UK on the 1861 census - I cant find this record, but he didnt look on Ancestry -not quite sure where he found it - but there is no saying that the info on ancestry is all 100%. I spent time yesterday on the NAAIRS site trying a variety of different combinations of names - I have emailed them and given them my list of docs that I want copies of - waiting with baited breath to see if they bother to reply. Ive emailed another rellie on one of the other tree branches & am hoping he will get back to me - he did research a few years ago & maybe he knows a little bit about Woody Alfred. I have no idea how old Ellen was or even when they married. It could be that Samuel abandoned them - I am trying to get the bigger version of Ancestry to allows me access to worldwide records - maybe can track him then. I am now 100% sure Abe & Alfreds father must have been a Samuel. I will keep you posted! You can view my newly budding family tree on Ancestry - I have left it public.

Offline Maryam

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 December 10 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Do you mean the record that Tony (Lynntony) found and posted on this thread (Reply #2 & #6)?

The SB record found on FS Pilot was a typed record that has no source other than referring to FindMyPast; there is no S Bensimon or any Bensimon transcribed for the 1861 census on FindMyPast itself.  Neither has Ancestry an S Bensimon or any other Bensimon transcribed in the 1861 census.   I did look on both.  And Tony did look through the Alton part of the census on Ancestry and found nothing apart from Samuel Beardmore, the nearest record that seemed to fit the FS Pilot typed record.  So I think it is a mis-transcription.  :)

Yep, it's like Marmite; you either love it or you hate it.  ::) 

Still can't find Samuel and possibly a Frederica in the US after the naturalisation record; or even a shipping record  :(  I'll keep looking....

KR
Maryam

Offline Niknak13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 03 December 10 05:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Maryam. I also only found the one family of Bensimons on the ancestry website. It has occurred to me that maybe they changed the spelling of the name over the years - Bensimon can be ben-simon as well. Or even Benshimon.
My grandfather was baptised in the Dutch church in South Africa - and I believe that my great grandfather was a deacon in the same church - at some point the family stopped being Jewish, but I have no idea idea when or why or how.