Author Topic: Carmody James and Honora McCarthy  (Read 9268 times)

Offline carmo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Carmody James and Honora McCarthy
« on: Tuesday 30 November 10 00:23 GMT (UK) »
note I have posted this on the Australian board..it was suggested this board would be a better option.

I am seeking the town/village from which James and Honora came from.

James Carmody, aged about 27 and being a farmer, married Honora McCarthy, aged about 20 in County Clare, Ireland in or about 1838.
Thomas Carmody was reportedly born on 17 November 1843, having been preceded by John (about 1838-1840), Patrick (1 April 1841) and possibly a Bridget (about 1842). James followed (about 1846) and perhaps another son, Michael. The years of birth indicated for John, James and Bridget are thereabouts only.

Thomas joined the Royal Irish Constabulary on 18 December 1863 in Clare, being appointed as a sub-constable, serving in Clare and Limerick. The Royal Irish Constabulary records refer to him joining 18 December 1863 aged 24.
He was recommended by Sub-Inspector John Donovan, who in 1863 was stationed at Newmarket-on-Fergus in Co. Clare.  Is it reasonable to assume that Thomas came from the local area and was interviewed and recommended by the local police officer. After a relatively short time of 9 months, he resigned “to emigrate”. He embarked from Liverpool to Melbourne on the Red Jacket on 28 September 1864.
He married Bridget Collins, the daughter of Edward and Grace Collins(nee O’Malley), a farming family from Limerick, in Melbourne in 1878.

John arrived at Melbourne aged 23 aboard Shalimar, arriving in July 1861.

Patrick joined the Royal Irish Constabulary in 1862 at Newmarket-on-Fergus, serving 6 years, with the reason for leaving being “to emmigrate”. The Great Britain departed from Liverpool, arriving at Melbourne in September 1868.

John arrived at Melbourne aged 23 aboard Shalimar, arriving in July 1861.

Bridget, arrived in Melbourne in September 1865 on board the Wennington, which was on it’s maiden voyage.

James Carmody arrived in Australia in July 1891 on the Orient.

In summary, there is evidence that  James and Honora had John, Patrick, Thomas, Bridget, James and possibly a Michael. All, with perhaps the exception of Michael, emigrated to Australia.

In his will John Carmody refers to a cousin, john Hinchy, also living in Victoria, Australia.

Any links or info to the above mentioned would be appreciated.
I have a fair amount of information on the families in Australia.
Thank you

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Carmody James and Honora McCarthy
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Since you dont have a parish or townland all I can suggest is to start researching any county Clare parish records you can to see if you can locate a marriage between James and Honora or baptisms of any of their children. Do you know the family religion ?

Not many Co. Clare parish records are available on-line, but a good place to start is Clare Library and the other posts and resources on the section for Co. Clare

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline carmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Shane,
Thank you.
Denomination is Roman Catholic,,, i have pored over the Clare Library online resources without joy.
The search continues!
Regards

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 08:23 GMT (UK) »
one point about members of the  RIC  - as far as I know, they were not allowed serve in their county of birth

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline McCarthyJ

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 March 11 09:27 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this will help as Carmody and McCarthy are very common names.

My Great Great Great Grandfather John McCarthy married Honora Malone in approx. 1820. The surname Carmody appears as baptism sponsors quite a bit in my family.  I have been trying to work out if they were related or just neighbours.  They are all from Moyhill County Clare.

Batt Carmody sponsored Timothy McCarthy who was born in 1834. He was baptised in the old Civil Parishes of Kilfintinan and Killeely.  Then Michael Carmody sponsored Bridget McCarthy who was born in 1872. 

According to the 1901 census Michael and Anne Carmody had 6 children living with them in house number 8 in Moyhill.  In the 1911 census, at the same house ,only Michael and 2 children lived there.

Please let me know if you find any link.  Good luck

Offline carmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 May 11 06:31 BST (UK) »

A few of my previous claims are wrong, in light of new info.
What I have found is:
John Carmody is recorded as being baptized in Newmarket-on-Fergus on   13 May 1832, parents James Carmody and Honora Carmody(nee McCarthy)
Patrick is recorded as being baptized in Newmarket-on-Fergus on  25 April 1837. Ditto parents. One of his sponsors was Matt Mccarthy
Bridget was actually the wife of Michael, marrried in 1876 or thereabouts in Melbourne. maiden name is Wright, and from Clare
Heading over in early July, and arranged a few nights in Quin.

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 June 21 23:58 BST (UK) »
Hi, I noticed your reference to a Hinchy cousin. I've just started researching a James Carmody born about 1835, and his wife Mary Hinchy. They had at least 3 children, Sarah 1873, Edward 1881 and Thomas born 14 Nov 1865 Newmarket On Fergus, Clare, Ireland. Could they be somehow connected to your Carmodys? In 1901 they were living in Limerick City where James was a carpenter.
Jan

England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 June 21 08:55 BST (UK) »
Carmo hasn't been logged in to Rootschat since 2011 but hopefully they will see your post and reply  :)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!