Author Topic: Huguenot/Walloon lookup in Dover  (Read 6233 times)

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Huguenot/Walloon lookup in Dover
« on: Thursday 02 December 10 12:53 GMT (UK) »
I have been working on the De Lespau (Shoulder) family, following the family backwards in time from London to Canterbury and have managed to tie most owners of the name (and its many variants including de l'Espau, Delesapaul, etc) into one closely connected  family in Kent from about 1540, although I am missing the details of at least a couple of members of the family who are linked to Dover.  Unfortunately, this is the only Huguenot/Walloon parish that is not available on CD (I have purchased most of the others). Does anyone have access to a transcription of the registers of the French Church in Dover to save me another trip to the Huguenot Society Library in London?

BTW I am happy to perform lookups in the London and Canterbury CDs if it would help anyone.

Offline Amy K

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy: Chasing your own tale!
    • View Profile
Re: Huguenot/Walloon lookup in Dover
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 December 10 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am hoping to go to the Huguenot Library in the New Year so if no one can help in the meantime I could do a look up for you?

Does your Canterbury CD have any references to Samuel and Marie Hovart, parents of Joanne and Marie? Marie was christened in Canterbury in 1595 and I am keen to get more information on them.

Thanks

Amy
Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 December 10 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Amy,
Thanks for the offer; I'll let you know if I get there first.

In the meantime, here are all of the references to Hovart in the Canterbury register. The last two are probably the marriages of two of Samuel's daughters on the same day.

1603 Oct. 16 Anne, fille de Jaques DE LA MARLIERE. Tern. Pierre Cassel, Jan des Rousseaux,
Marie, femme de Samuel Hovart; Jane Cornart.

1608-9 Jan. 6 Elizabeth, fille de Jaques DENEU. Tern,. Thomas Kichingman, Marie, femme de
Samuel Hovart; Lidye Regnart.

1656 Sept. 7 Lea, fille d'Abraham DiDiER et Lea, sa femme, fut baptisee par Mr. Bultel. Tern. Docteur Jean de la Pierre, Marie Hovart, vefue de feu Jean Manneke; Susanne
de la Pierre, fille. Naq. le 31 d'Aoust.3

1626 Aout 20 Jean MANNEQUE, fils de Jean, natif de Canturbery, et Marie HOVART, fille de
Samuel, native de Canturbery.

1626 Aout 20 Jaques DE LOBEAU, fils d'Esaie, natif de Canturbery, et Jeanne HOVART, fille de
Samuel, native de Canturbery.

And here are some of the entries for Houard and Houart, which I suspect are alternative spellings. There are many more occurrences for Samuel and Marie (as the wife of Samuel) at baptisms and a few more marriages of (I suspect) their children which I have not listed:

1591 Juil. 11 Jehan, filz de Samuel HOUARD et Marie, sa femme, Tern. Jehen Houard, le jeune;
Francois Biscop, Catherine Houard, grand mere; Isabeau del Bergue

1591 Aout 10 Elizabeth, fille de Frideric RIQUARD et Marie, sa femme. Tern. Beniamin Houard, Catherine, femme de Jehan Houard; Marie, femme de 'Samuel Houard.

1591 Aout 12 Marie, fille de Piere HAUBOURDIN et d'Isabeau, sa femme. Tern. Antoine de la
Noy, Samuel Houard, Marie, femme du dz Samuel; Jane de Taillaux.

1592 Dec. 24 Catherine, fille de Samuel HouARD. Tern. Elias Mauroys, Jan Prein, sa grand
mere Catherine Houard, la vefue de Joos Destailleur.

1595 Mars 25 Marie, fille de Samuel HOUARD. Tern. Jaques du Boys, le vieil; Maister Jan
Callart, Marie Destailleu, Tanneque Bontiflart, au nom et pour sa mere.

1599Juil. 1 Jan, filz de Samuel HOUART. Tetn. Guillaume Marechal, lequel a pri6 Jehan
Rogier de tenir sa place en son nom ; Barbe del Porte, Judith du Quesne.

1601 Mars 29 Paul, filz de Samuel HOUARD. Tern. Wallera[n] de Richebourg, Marc Houard,
Rebecca Oudart, Elizabeth Destailleu.

1602 Fev. 21 Jane, fille de Marc HOUARD. Tern. Samuel Houard et sa femme; Jane, femme de
Jaques du Boys.

1605-6 Jan. 6 Jane, fille de Samuel HOUARD. Tern. Jan Senellard, Barbe, femme de Guillaume
Santhune; Louyse du Quesne.

(Marriage) 1600 Dec, 14 Marc HOUARD, filz de Jan, natif de Anuers, & Barbe DEL PORTE, fille de feu Gilles,
natifue de Turcoin.

(Burial) 1600 Fev. 25 Jan, filz de Samuel HOUARD.

(Burial) 1602 Mai 6 Barbe, femme de Marc HOUART.

(Burial) 1602 Juil 22 Paule, filz de Samuel HOUARD.

Samuel and Marc were both mentioned in a marriage contract from 1601 so were probably brothers or at least cousins.

Did Samuel remarry in 1614 or is this (more likely, although I couldn't find Samuel Jr's baptism in the 1590's)  his son?

1614, 2 July. Marriage contract between Samuel HOUART, assisted by Samuel Houart, his
father, and Jean Houart, his uncle; and Lea LE CHEVALLIER, daughter of Monsieur
Samuel le Chevallier [le Chevalier], Minister of the Holy Gospel in this Church of Canterbury,
assisted by her father, Lea Cappelle, her mother, and the honorable man, Elias
Maurois, her friend.

Cheers,
Steve.

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 December 10 16:08 GMT (UK) »
The registers of the French Church in Dover are in the local library.
Best wishes, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 December 10 17:18 GMT (UK) »
The registers of the French Church in Dover are in the local library.
Best wishes, Bill

Bill,
Which local library? If it's Dover, then the Huguenot Society Library in London is nearer to me because I live in Essex.
Thanks for the info anyway.
Steve.

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 December 10 17:38 GMT (UK) »
I've just realized that the registers are on Ancestry.com. It is also possible to purchase a printed copy from a company called abebooks.co.uk. The good news is that it only costs £4.27. The bad news is that it ships from the USA which adds another £10.89.

Offline gordon5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 December 10 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I work in Dover so, once this blessed snow lifts, I should be able to get in and have a look for you.

In addition, this link - http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=huguenot%20england - takes you to the internet archive, I searched for Huguenot england and got a load of references to digitised documents that may be of interest!

PM me if you'd like me to have a look  :)
Steadwood worldwide, Horsburgh, McBean (and variants), Pride, Ross, mostly in the Lothian and Borders area, Ingles and variants from Buckie, Wilson, Stoddart.

Offline Maryam

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 December 10 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve

Registers at the First Church at Dover

18th May 1651
Abraham son of Isaac de Lespaul and Jesnne (Jeanne?) Liller, born 30th April 1651.  Godfather Abraham Stock.  Godmother Marie Delebecq; -  Jenne de Lespire wife of Michel Dehaze was representing Marie de la Becque.  (Transcript does spell Marie's surname both ways!).

Judith de Lespaule (wife of Mr David Nepueu the younger) was godmother to Arnot du Verger (son of Jean du Verger and Perrone his wife), born 12th February and baptised 24th 1661.

There's a couple more.....

Offline Maryam

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 December 10 18:45 GMT (UK) »
3rd September 1648

Ester (sic) daughter of Isaac de L'Espau and his wife Jeanne Lillers, born 2nd of the month.  Godfather Arnold de Lillers.  Godmothers Ester, wife of Jean le Houck; Jeanne wife of Glaude Mignot.

KR
Maryam