Author Topic: Margaret & Elizabeth Cook.  (Read 6596 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret & Elizabeth Cook.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 December 10 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Just copy and paste the URL (the website link) at the top your screen. For example, for this post the link would be:

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,499488.0.html

I tend to leave out the 'http://' bit at it is not necessary to be able to provide a link and keeps it cleaner.

Questions are always good Keelan!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mimi Kenney

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 April 24 04:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Kellen,

I’m quite late to this discussion, but …your great grandmother’s sister Margaret was my great grandmother. In other words, Margaret’s daughter Jean (you have her as Jane but her name was actually Jean) was my grandmother.

My grandmother Jean was born in Campbeltown, Scotland, on December 15, 1905. She immigrated to Canada with her parents Donald and Margaret MacNeill (they spelled it MacNeill, not McNeill) and her siblings Peter, Annie, Mary, Catherine, Donald and Isabelle (which she was called, and not Isabella) in Halifax, Nova Scotia on April 3, 1927.

From there, the family travelled to Alberta, where they settled in the Grande Prairie area, near Wembley.

My grandmother married Ronald Charles Penney—who had been born in Henley-on-Thames in 1905—and had three children: Margaret, Isabel and Doug. Jean and Ronald raised their children on a grain farm near Wembley. Several of Jean’s siblings also had farms in the area.

Margaret died in Calgary, Alberta in 1997. Isabel lives in Grande Prairie, and Doug lives in Edmonton, Alberta.

Margaret married Donald William Edward (Bill) Kenney in 1961 and had three children: Tim, MaryAnn (me), and Maureen.

Isabel married (then later divorced) Larry Johnson and had three children: Joanne, Tracy and Susan.

Doug married Claire Jolie (apologies if I’ve misspelled Jolie) and had three children: Steven, James and Michelle.

Many thanks for sharing the information you had on your great grandmother’s sisters, Margaret and Elizabeth Cook! I will definitely share this information with my cousins, and will visit my grandmother’s birthplace—Campbeltown, Scotland—in the near future.

Best regards,

MaryAnn Kenney

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 07 April 24 15:21 BST (UK) »
Please done't get hung up on spelling. Until early in the 20th century spelling was very fluid.

Jane and Jean are used interchangeably in Scotland, and it's common to find the same person as Jane in one record and Jean in another (or Janie, Jeanie, Jeannie, Jenny, Jennie etc).

Similarly with Mac/Mc. it's not unusual to fine the same individual's name spelled in both ways in different documents.

Your grandmother's birth was registered as Jane McNeill, not Jean MacNeill, and she is listed in the 1911 and 1921 censuses as Jane McNeill.

And her sister was registered as Isabella, not Isabelle.

Even her husband's name is spelled Penny in the births index and Penney in the 1911 census.

See the attachments from the Scottish birth and census indexes at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and the English indexes at FindMyPast.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.