Author Topic: Bristol - 1800-1900  (Read 6687 times)

Offline ChasH

• My email is no longer working sorry
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
Re: Bristol - 1800-1900
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 04 December 10 15:50 GMT (UK) »
J,

Not much compared to what you've been told but whilst helping another Chatter with trade directories I had a look for Mabyn in the Mathews's 1851 directory via the Gloucestershire Trade directories link in the Resources Messages Index - first hit was a success I think.

Regards

Chas 
My email is no longer working sorry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Bevstn:DAVIES:HIGGS:PERROT
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
ChSod:HARDING:HIGGS
Colrne:GOLDEN
G Bad:DAVIES
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG
K'St:BISHOP:PINEGAR
Marsh'd:BLAKE
Minch:HILL:MASON:PERRIN
N.Nib:PERROT:SHATFORD:WAYMAN:WOODWARD
N.Wrax:BLAKE

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 04 December 10 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Christ Church would be the parish of Bristol.
Censuses were very keen on parishes!!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline J Wall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 04 December 10 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Chas,
Sorry, but I do not see the information that you are talking about. I searched for "Gloucestershire Trade directories" on Rootschat.com search, but I didn't find anything mentioning "Matthews's 1851 directory". Maybe I just overlooked something. Sorry.

KGarrad
Ah, a parish! Great! Thank for that.

...now if only I can find out when John Wall migrated from Bristol to Canada.

Offline Lesquest

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Bristol - Canada - John Wall - Cleveland Ohio - Wall Petroleum
« Reply #21 on: Friday 07 June 13 10:52 BST (UK) »

ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
]I can not believe I found this discussion.  My name is Leslie Ann Johnstone "maiden Name".  I am John Wall and Eliza Melissa Winter's great grand daughter. John was born in Bristol England. It is my understanding  a sword was brought to Canada when John Wall arrived prior to 1852 (guessing based on birth year and marriage). He married Elisa (again I must get the exact dates...too excited to look now). I will explain how I heard about the sword, and from whom later. I have a habit of trying to cover too much at one time.  I will, that is,  if anyone is still interested.   

My grandmother, born in 1881, was the youngest of seven children.  Beatrice Mary Wall married my maternal grandfather in 1912. My mother was born August 24Th, 1916.  She spent her summers in Kent, Chatham Ontario, but grew up in Cleveland Heights, Ohio.[/color][/size][/font][/i][/b]

I know so much now.  It took time to iron out some of the oral history, but what happened on this side of the Atlantic has now been validated with official documents.  The Walls were a tight group. My mother never met her grandparents, John and Eliza Wall.  They passed before she was born.  She heard much of Eliza  and little of John.  I finally learned he passed in Cleveland, Ohio before 1910. John Wall, and a few years later his wife, was returned to Chatham Ontario and buried in Maple Leaf Cemetery.  The census records showed different birth places for John. It was the wording I believe.  Origins and birth place would have thrown me too.  But, the information was collected because the US and Canada were just starting to grow.  Johns place of birth was noted as England or Canada on the rolls for different years.  His place of origin was always England. But the children signed his and some signed each other's death certificates. All said John Wall's birth place was Bristol, England

I will give you as much as you'd like, but I first noticed "John's" post asking about Wall Petroleum.
In the second half of the 19Th century oil was the big thing.  Trains to transport the commodity were as important as the oil itself.  One of this countries wealthiest entrepreneurs took every opportunity to create a monopoly. He bought the allegiance of the railroads and put many companies out of business. Standard Oil was King.  .   Rockefeller ruled the economy and citizens soon resented him deeply. His home was Cleveland Ohio.   

The eldest Wall son, William Edgar Wall, was fascinated with the competition, the anger that grew regarding Rockefeller, and saw opportunity.  Clark Oil Company was in operation, in spite of Standard Oil in 1900.  Uncle Will came to Cleveland and with all his involvement in the city, and all the Oil Associations he was involved with in the Northern US, it was not long before he became the president of Clark Oil. He is listed in the Who's Who of Cleveland.  I have the book online. It has the pictures of these successful men and there titles.  Again, I'd love to share it.  Will had three brothers and three sisters.  I know that one brother, also named John Wall (no middle name) worked as a salesman for the petroleum industry.  I imagine this was Will's company. 

I will explain all of that, the history which would give a time frame reflecting the Wall  family crossing Lake Erie from Canada to settle in Cleveland.  It is all about oil. I can tell you a lot about the personalities of the siblings and their children; John Wall named his first son John Wall and his second William Wall. I've had brief contact via research with William's son, my second cousin.  He explained, his brother had the sword, but did not know how or never had time to explain. I'll try to reconnect. He would be fascinated. I am so hopeful someone will see this. 

I do believe the Clark Brothers sold out, perhaps to William Wall. But, William passed in 1934.  The depression was raging and the wealth he had secured for his entire family, the doors and opportunities that he opened where closing.  By 1934, the only living siblings were one brother and one sister. John Wall and my Grandmother. Uncle Will owned the home beside his.  Beatrice Mary Wall Married George Lacsellas Hart, and that is the home where my Uncle and Mother were born.

The entire family, however, did not move to Cleveland.  Emma was the first born.  She married Walter Scane, Jr and remained in Chatham.  Maud also married and remained in Canada.  John and Eliza came to Cleveland when they no longer could live alone.  I finally realized John passed here.  I had the certificate, but have to find it again.   Eliza died Christmas night 1913. She passed in her sleep.  But, apparently before retiring (this group did not mind a bit of spirits to get a party going) Eliza and another were jumping rope.

I've written so much.  I will read the attachments and other options section.  I know this info has been out here without any response for a long time.  I hope someone will receive it.  All my family, except for my son and relatives I've never actually heard speak, are gone.  I imagine the connection is distant by now. But, it is a connection all the same.   I don't even know if I gave anyone enough to spark interest. I will wait.  And thank you!  Leslie