Author Topic: Douglas family genealogy  (Read 8583 times)

Offline kmadden88

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Douglas family genealogy
« on: Saturday 04 December 10 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

My name is Kati and I am from the US. I am looking for any information on the Douglases of Kelton and Castle Douglas. My direct descendants are...

1. John Douglas b. 1745, m. Dorothy Barwise, d. 11 July 1820 and was buried in the Kelton church yard.

2. John Douglas b. 1774 in Kelton, m. 1. Mary Sergent 2. Janet McClymont d. 25 September 1855 and buried in the Kelton church yard

3. Elizabeth Douglas b. 26 August 1804 in Kirkcudbright, immigrated to America, married Thomas Steele (i'm not sure of the order) and died 5 December 1889

Any information is greatly appreciated

Offline Solway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas family genealogy
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 December 10 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kati,
Are there any specifics you would wish to know about? I can probably assist with M.Is.
Henry. Dalrymple. Ross. Rogerson. Bruty. Clark.

Offline kmadden88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 December 10 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

This branch of my family has long been a brick wall and I only recently connected "my" Elizabeth Douglas to the Douglases of Kirkcudbright. I suppose I am looking for some specific dates, like birth/christening etc... I listed all the dates I know in my previous post. Does M.I. stand for monumental inscription? If so, that would be wonderful. I have the burial information from another, recently discovered, cousin, but no information about the headstones.

Most of all, I am looking for any stories, pictures and general information about any of these individuals, especially Thomas Steel (Steele) and Elizabeth Douglas. I have been unable to find any information about him while in Scotland. I don't know where or when he married Elizabeth, when he immigrated or even where and when he was born (other than somewhere in Scotland in approximately 1796-1798).

Thank you so much for your help!

-Kati

Offline Solway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 December 10 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Info. I have as follows:
John Douglas d. C.D. 2/11/1820 (75) m. Dorothy Barwise d. 28/6/1822 (77).
Children:
John (jnr) d. C.D. 25/9/1855 (81) m. 1st. Mary Sergent. 2nd. Janet McClymont. (more to follow).
William d. 27/12/1826 (42).
Grace d. 5/4/1848 (62) m. John Douglas in Flock.
Alex. d. 14/9/1792 (3).
I also believe there was a further son, Robert d. C.D. 17/4/1830 (57) m. Marion McClune d. 26/2/1872 (97). (more to follow).
1851 Census has John (jnr) living in Cotton St., C.D. as a retired mail contractor.
1841 & 51 Census has John (Flock) living in King St., C.D.   He was an agricultural labourer, born Colvend, KKD.

Offline Solway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 December 10 16:55 GMT (UK) »
John Douglas (jnr) d. 1855 [see son Robert's will] m. Mary Sergent d. 4/10/1814 (37).
Children:
Robert d. Trelawny, Jamaica, 13/2/1851 (47).  [see his Will].
Jane d. C.D., 3/3/1887 (79) [see Will] m. Samuel Taggart Blyth d. C.D.31/10/1878 (73).
Elizabeth m. ? Steed.  Lived 337 8th Street, New York. [see Will].
James d. Albany, U.S.A. [see Will].

Children of 2nd wife, Janet McClymont d.11/6/1856 (69)
Margaret d. C.D. 21/6/1881 (63).
Mary Ann d. 4/3/1837 (27).
Isabella d. 26/10/1899 (80).
Helen d. 19/7/1836 (12).
Grace b. abt. 1828 (1851 Census).

Will of Robert Douglas, Kelton Settlement,Trelawny, Jamaica:
"Robert Douglas written Oct.,16,1849, and probated July, 31,1852.
Sister Elizabeth Steed of 377 8th Street, New York. U.S.A.
Sister Jane Blyth of Castle Douglas, County Kirkcudbright, U.K., called Scotland.
Brother James Douglas of Albany, U.S.A.
All my estate and personal divided to them.
My father, John Douglas, my gold watch and if I die then to James Douglas to be kept in the family".

Offline Solway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 December 10 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kati,
Will forward more later!
Bob.

Offline Solway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 December 10 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Kati,
Since my last, I obtained a Scotlands People 'look-up' of the death certificate for John (jnr) died 1855 and found his mother was named Dorothea as opposed to Dorothy per the headstone inscription. Also, John (jnr) is stated as having been a "Post Office Contractor" and his death certificate appears to have been signed by his illegitimate son, Alex. There also appears to have been 13 or 14 children from the two marriages although I must emphasise that the quality of the certificate was very indistinct and unreadable in places. He died of apoplexy.
More later.
Bob.

Offline kmadden88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 01:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your help!

-Kati

Offline Solway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 21:24 GMT (UK) »
You are welcome.

In my reply #4, I mentioned that Robert m. Marion McClune may be a further son to John and Dorothea and the inscription on his stone is as follows:
Robert Douglas d. C. D. 17.4.1830  (57).
2s. James d. there 28.11.1832  (28).
1s. John d. Island of Grenada 31.7.1838  (36).
yt. s. Walter d. C.D. 27.6.1853  (37).
3s. William d. Largs 20.1.1863  (55).
w. Marion McClune d. C.D.  (26.2.1872  (97). 
Today, I obtained the Statutory Death Cert. for Marion which gave the following information that Robert was an Innkeeper and Marion's m.s. was Carson. The cause of Rbt's death was Senile Decay and the informant was a Jas. Crosbie described as "intimate friend ( present)".
In 'Scots in the West Indies 1707-1857 Vol. 11', there is an entry: "John Douglas, ex. Castle Douglas, Provost Marshall of Grenada, died 31 Aug.,1838, heir to Grandfather John Douglas, labourer in Castle Douglas, Kirkcudbrightshire. Reg. 3, Feb.,1837."  This could be content of further exploration/confirmation which I may attempt in the future, if time permits. It should also be noted there is precisely one years difference in the year of death between the m.i. and the extract of Robert's Will which may be down to transcription.

The headstone immediately adjcent to the above reads as follows:
imo Joseph Charters, MD, surgeon RN d. C.D. 3.12.1839  (39). w. Margaret Douglas d. C.D. 19.2.1865  (68).
I also obtained a copy of Margaret's Death Cert. which confirmed her parents to be the above. She died of gastric fever and the informant was her nephew, John Bell.

I