Author Topic: Can someone date this photo of Lyle Thornett  (Read 8062 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone date this photo of Lyle Thornett
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 00:22 GMT (UK) »
An Aside

Re Lyle THORNETT .... do you have the 58 page document from the Australian National Archives for his WWI service .... sadly he was K I A on the Western front in 1917...  His father had been missing for ten years when Lyle enlisted... Lyle Thornett's physical description is noted in those records...

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/recordsearch/index.aspx  search as a guest...

Cheers,  JM

EDIT TO ADD

Frank and Ray also enlisted in WWI, could the photo of the chap in Australian uniform be of one of them rather than of Lyle ... Their WWI service records also on line, lots of family history information in those records .... there was also a sister (Lyle's nominated next of kin and executrix of his will), and their mother was recorded as a Mrs McLean on Lyle's papers... 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Thornett

• RootsChat Member
  • Ada Martha Louise THORNETT & Robert John LEIGHTON
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 00:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks JM, I have already picked all that up.

Am I the only one who thinks out of those four headshots, one and three look like a match? Same rounded eyebrows and chin.
Living in Perth, Western Australia and researching

George & Helen LEIGHTON [McNAUGHTON] from Dundee, emigrated to Melbourne in 1854
John & Ann BOOTH [DOWSON] from Durham, emigrated to Melbourne in 1852
James & Mary THORNETT [BROWN] from Oxfordshire/Cheshire, emigrated to Adelaide in 1876
John & Alice THORNETT [CARPENTER] from Oxfordshire, emigrated to Adelaide in 1877

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 01:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I think 2 and 4 are very similar, could well be the same person even ...
And I can see why you think 1 and 3 are alike, but different generation

Do you have photo of the sister for Frank, Ray and Lyle, does she have similar ears, nose, eyebrows, lips etc  ;)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 01:33 GMT (UK) »
I'm attaching a WWI photo of a great uncle who was KIA Western Front ... He was born 1895 in NSW, ... so this photo was taken when he was 20 .... comparing his youthful face with your photo of Lyle, who was 30 when he enlisted, makes me wonder if the photo you have of Lyle would be actually a photo of one of his younger brothers...   

Cheers,  JM

Offline Thornett

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 01:45 GMT (UK) »
I will post this just to make it easier for people
Photo 1: unknown
Photo 2: Lyle Thornett (1885-1917)
Photo 3: Frank Thornett (1894-1962)
Photo 4: Ray Thornett (1896-1933)

The photos that have been named are definitely those people. All brothers that didn't have much to do with each other and lived in different parts of WA.

George & Helen LEIGHTON [McNAUGHTON] from Dundee, emigrated to Melbourne in 1854
James & Mary THORNETT [BROWN] from Oxfordshire/Cheshire, emigrated to Adelaide in 1876
John & Alice THORNETT [CARPENTER] from Oxfordshire, emigrated to Adelaide in 1877

Offline Thornett

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 01:47 GMT (UK) »
I'm attaching a WWI photo of a great uncle who was KIA Western Front ... He was born 1895 in NSW, ... so this photo was taken when he was 20 .... comparing his youthful face with your photo of Lyle, who was 30 when he enlisted, makes me wonder if the photo you have of Lyle would be actually a photo of one of his younger brothers...   

Cheers,  JM
The photo is definitely Lyle, I have had different parts of the family with the same photo named on the back and he is in his regiment photos as well.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 03:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I need some help dating this photo taken of Lyle Thornett. Unfortunately there are two Lyle Thornett's (Uncle and Nephew) and a date will help me work out which one it is.

Thanks for your time.

Photo 2 of  Lyle Thornett in uniform was taken in 1916.  He enlisted March 1916 and embarked Nov 1916 and was KIA June 1917.  I feel that this photo would have been taken when he was in camp in WA, most likely in the weeks before embarkation (badges, cap, condition of uniform etc).  It was usual for the various commercial photographers to take individual photos for the men to give to their loved ones before they embarked.  These photographers went to the camps and set up mobile studios.  One of my forebears was a photographer who took these types of photos during WWI, but he was operating his mobile studio in and around Sydney NSW.

Photo 1 of unknown cannot be that same Lyle, as it is a photo of a different person (eyes, ears, eyebrows etc).  As you note that that other Lyle was born in 1923, Photo 1 does NOT seem to me to be a photo of Lyle's nephew, Lyle, but rather Photo 1 would be of a generation earlier than Photo 2.  What is on the reverse side of Photo 1?  The clothing, posture, moustache, seem to indicate that earlier generation.  What is the original of  Photo 1 mounted on ... I realise you have been asked this earlier by jim #3 but I seem to have missed the answer.

As there are many similiarites between Photo 1 and Photo 3, could the chap in photo 1 be a forebear for the three brothers ?   

Cheers,  JM

Offline mozza29

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Kites fly highest against the wind; not with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 04:20 GMT (UK) »
Whilst you haven't requested restore or color, perhaps these ones  may find a place in the family albums.
Regards,
Morrie
Fort (e) family < 1840. Devon. Channel Islands
Darker  family <  1875 Wales, Cornwall
Tardrew family, Devon
Sigvaldsen, Norway

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Tell me that's not the same ear & I'll go away.
jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/