Author Topic: GURNEY Family  (Read 8678 times)

Offline tweeding

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Still a rank amateur:-)
    • View Profile
Re: Gurney family
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Ray and Maddie,

As my membership status shows, I've been at this for a few years, but am a very spasmodic researcher. This is all great information and your theory makes perfect sense Ray.

Maddie, I feel a bit lazy, I admit, but I'd love those burial details your offered for all of those poor children, thank you:)

I wish both of you well, as it looks like my connection with the Gurney family is no connection at all, so I'll look and research elsewhere:)

Thanks again, and kind regards,

trevor
Researching Weeding family, particularly in Surrey, Uk. Also Gripper (or Grippor  - shows this way sometimes in early 1800's) family, particularly in Herts. UK. Also interested in the Angus family from Kincardineshire in Scotland and the Willens family, especially in Lancashire etc.

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Gurney family
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trevor

I think you should also include the spelling of Grippen in your searches as you will find on Family Search the marriage of your Ann to John Woods 23 Oct 1842, her father James Grippen. ;)

These are the burials that I have.

Jane Gripper 15 Oct 1810 aged 6months.
Joseph Gripper 14 May 1809 aged 5 weeks.
Mary Gripper 12 Sept 1800, no age given.
Hannah Grippon(sic) 26 July 1817 aged 15months.
Joseph Grippon(sic)27 April 1808 aged 18months.
William Grippon(sic) 6 Jan 1813 aged 9months.

All burials at St Marys Church Rickmansworth.

I did spot a marriage on Anc for a James Gripper to Elizabeth Smith in St Swithin London Stone, City of London, on 3 Feb 1800, he is a widower so if it is the correct couple that could account for his age being 78 at death in 1832 in Ricky. :-\

I don't suppose your connection to William would be his son James by any chance, would it. :)

Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tweeding

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Still a rank amateur:-)
    • View Profile
Re: GURNEY Family
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maddie - and thanks again for all your help :)

My connection with William Gripper is with his some George, my g. grandfather.

Amusing story here, as George moved to Aberdeen in 1890 and my grandad was born there. My mum and her sisters are quite proud of their Scots heritage and were surprised to hear that it's only one generation old.  The news now that their family name could well be the result of a 'typo' (You and I understand how this can have happened, but try explaining that to 3 sisters aged 75 - 79 or so :) )

This little exercise has resulted in me adding brother and sisters for the first time on my data base tree on Legacy and I'll now continue the practice and, hopefully, find some more leads.

Regards,

Trevor
Researching Weeding family, particularly in Surrey, Uk. Also Gripper (or Grippor  - shows this way sometimes in early 1800's) family, particularly in Herts. UK. Also interested in the Angus family from Kincardineshire in Scotland and the Willens family, especially in Lancashire etc.

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: GURNEY Family
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trevor

I love the story & sorry to hear your Mum's heritage is not as Scottish as she hoped but Rickmansworth/Chorleywood is as good a place as any to have ancestors from, as I can testify. :D

I asked about James Gripper, your Grt Grandfather's brother, because he married Rose Gibberd, Rose's brother William married my Grt Aunt Elizabeth Louisa Wise, my Grandmothers sister, small world isn't it. :o

Shout if we can help with any thing else.

Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk