Author Topic: Surgeon John CATES  (Read 22697 times)

Offline TerryD

• RootsChat Member
  • Dadds finding Dads
    • View Profile
Surgeon John CATES
« on: Tuesday 07 December 10 16:45 GMT (UK) »
In my research I seemed to have unearthed an interesting story concerning John Cates who was a surgeon in Sydney Australia between 1835 and 1860.

Born in 1799 to another surgeon called John Cates he was educated at Charterhouse and St Omers(Stoneyhurst College) in England.

On 1st July 1835 he was declared bankrupt and to escape the fallout it would appear he went to Sydney to practice as in July 1839 he was registered to practice in Parramatta. I know he was still registered to practice in Sydney in  1842 and 1860 but he then returned to England as he appears in the 1861 UK census. 

If anybody has any information on this character I would  be very interested
Looking for Dadds, Wheeler, Seymour, Hammond & Reynolds to name but a few.

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Surgeon John Cates
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 17:09 GMT (UK) »
http://www.medicalpioneers.com/ has quite a bit of info about him.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TerryD

• RootsChat Member
  • Dadds finding Dads
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 17:56 GMT (UK) »
 :)
Hi jorose

Many thanks for enlightening me further although the information begs the question "Did he return to Australia after 1850 as he was still registered in Sydney in the Sunday Morning Herald dated 21st January 1860."
Or does the registration stay open even though he had returned to England.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Had you thought he was a married man?

There are some births and adeath to father JOHN CATES

Reg.V1838729 23A
 In 1838 CATES HUMPHREY G
 Father JOHN
 ELIZABETH A         
Reg.V1840725 26A

In1840 CATES GEORGE C
Father JOHN
 ELIZABETH A         
Reg.V1844677 28

In1844 CATES SUSAN E
Father JOHN
 ELIZABETH A
Reg1844677 28 In 1844       

Death
Reg.5930
In1893 CATES CHARLES C
 Father JOHN
 ELIZABETH A
 At GLEBE

Sue 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

NSW Government Gazette lists the NSW Medical Board's Legally Qualified Medical Practitioners as at 4 January 1861.... included in that list is
Cates John, Sydney 
Sydney would be indicating the location, and as there are others in that list showing Parramatta, it would seem that by 1860 he was in Sydney Town rather than Parramatta...

I'll try to find any more Gazette listings, back shortly...

Edit to add :   Not found any more, but the reference details for the Jan 1861 list would be NSW Government Gazette 1861 Pt.1 pp. 42 - 43.

I'm not sure if that means John Cates was in NSW in 1860 but it seems to be pointing towards that assumption. 

The UK census date was 31 March 1861 .   

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Surgeon John CATES
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Possibly TWO chaps in Sydney NSW with same name  (the Sands directories commenced 1858, produced annually usually with closing date for listings at October of the year before publication, ie 1861 directory would be compiled by Oct 1860)...

Sands Directories 1858-9  Medical Directory   Cates John,  Sydney

Sands Directories Commercial 1861 Cates, John, Grocer 275 Kent Street, Sydney

The transcripts of the City of Sydney Assessment Books (Rates, landlords, tenants etc) is listed on the NSW Resources Thread here : http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,369703.0.html

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline TerryD

• RootsChat Member
  • Dadds finding Dads
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Many thanks for all this info which I knew some of but certainly not all.

Yes I knew he had children as the ancestor I am tracing back from led me to James Cates born 1852 in England which then led me back to this Surgeon John Cates, Jame Father.

From the 1861 UK census I knew John and Elizabeth were in England with a son William born Marylebone 1833 and daughter Susan born NSW 1844. James was nine at the time and in a Quakers boarding school.

Knew from medical pioneers report that 3 children (boys i think) arrived with him in June 1839 , William would be one, Humphrey would also be one, born on voyage? but dont know the other. Could have been Charles i suppose.

Did not know about  George C.

Know he sailed out of Sydney 1850 with 3 boys and a girl, did one stay behind I wonder.

I now need to look at Uk records to try and find Humphrey, George and Charles  life stories .

Any further clarification you can give me would help, i take it charles Death is in Australia.

Best regards
Terry

Offline TerryD

• RootsChat Member
  • Dadds finding Dads
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 22:40 GMT (UK) »
JM

Thanks for your posts and I had one from the Sydney Morning Herald in 1860 saying my John Cates was a surgeon Sydney at that date.

What is confusing me is that journeys to Australia at that time would be long and arduous and I cant get my head around him flitting back and forth.

The  info in the medical pioneers link above suggests he was in Australia 1839 to 1850 certainly and also in 1873. The newspaper registrations suggest he was there around 1860 but i know he was in England March 1861. Whilst that might be possible the only sailings for him on the pioneers link are in in 1839 and out in 1850. 

I have this feeling that he was only in Australia 1839-1850 but I am hoping somebody might prove me wrong with some extra info.  What would really help is if somebody could confirm or otherwise if he could be registered as a Doctor in Sydney even though he was back in England.

Confused but happy

Best regards

Terry   

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Terry,

I apologise for omitting the link to search BDM in NSW. This is where I found the information I gave above.

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/Index/IndexingOrder.cgi/search?event=births

a marriage for CHARLES

REG.3689In1888
  CATES  CHARLES C
To WOODWARD  SARAH
At  GOULBURN 

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk