Author Topic: Godliman- Munro - Novia Scotia  (Read 5275 times)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Godliman- Munro - Novia Scotia
« on: Friday 10 December 10 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone any thoughts on the following?

James Godliman born 1812 in Ickenham England married Catherine Munro who was born in Nova Scotia c1818, probably in Nova Scotia.  Their first child Elizabeth was born in Ickenham in 1838.  His brother John Godliman born 1808 in Ickenham was a soldier who died in Nova Scotia in 1832.

I have details of them and their parents in England but nothing about the Canadian end nor how they travelled there and back.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Godliman- Munro - Novia Scotia
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 December 10 16:20 GMT (UK) »
I googled Nova Scotia census records and discovered there was a census taken there in 1827 which seems to be available on line. Worth a google?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 December 10 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the census hint.  I only found halifax County and nothing relevant

David
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 December 10 22:52 GMT (UK) »
This link will hopefully be of some help to you, although some records are later than the dates you give ...

https://www.novascotiagenealogy.com/

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 December 10 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you polarbear.  Unfortunately the only links that I have were back in the UK by 1838 and so There seems to be nothing relevant.

I suspect that I need to find some army records possibly in the UK.  This is difficult because I have no idea which regiments were in Nova Scotia at that time.

David

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 December 10 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Here is a link to Regiments in Canada for you to poke around in. Click at the upper right to access the second page. Each regiment also has a link to soldiers records which are apparently available on film through the familysearch folks. Bit of a needle in a haystack b/c nothing is indexed but the parts I have used at least had date ranges.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~crossroads/regiments/regiments-infantry.html

Polarbear

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 December 10 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks polar bear.  That seems to give me eight possible regiments which I can reduce further if I start by assuming local recruiting in Bucks and Middlesex.

David

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 December 10 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Glad you were able to find some info. If both brothers were in the same regiment (quite likely, I'd think) then you might get 2 sets of records from the same film.

Good hunting.

Polarbear

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 December 10 18:50 GMT (UK) »
David, The National Army Museum in Chelsea has the location of every British unit for the 18th and 19th centuries on a data base searchable by date unit and location. I do not believe it is on line, however an email might produce results; you do need a reader's card to access the library, free but with pretty stringent reference requirements. If you get no joy by email please pm me with details and I'll ask the question next time I go.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)