Author Topic: Percy Horspool - searching for his death  (Read 2886 times)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Percy Horspool - searching for his death
« on: Monday 13 December 10 03:21 GMT (UK) »
Percy HORSPOOL (b. 27 Aug 1898, Newark, Nottinghamshire), married Girldine (aka Geraldine) HALL (1898-1965) in on 19 Feb 1919 at Newark. They had three sons (none now living). He served for a time in WWI.

We are trying to find out when Percy died. He was estranged from the rest of the family, including his wife and children, for a number of sensitive reasons. One was that he was accused of bigamy, and was in and out of prison. He may have died in prison.

But though I know what happened to all his family, I can't find a death for Percy. We don't know whether he stayed in the Newark area or not.

We would really like to know what happened to him, even though he is a bit of a 'skeleton in the closet' - so any help or ideas would be great. Thanks.

Offline brianz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Percy Horspool - searching for his death
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 December 10 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi
   The only Percy Horspool I can find in the deaths is:-

Cyril Percy Horspool B 1 Dec 1900 Died Jun 1/4 1976 at Nottingham Ref 8 - 0568, any good ?

There is also no records of any other Percy Horspool being born until 1902 so is the date on the           death a mistake?
Hannam in London, Nottinghamshire and Sheffield
Collins in Staffordshire
Brackenbury, Gurnell and Willson in Lincolnshire and now Nottinghamshire
Marples in Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Heginbotham in Derbyshire

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 December 10 10:54 GMT (UK) »
With a chequered history like that  ;) maybe he changed his name to start a new life,or even moved abroad?

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 December 10 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi
   The only Percy Horspool I can find in the deaths is:-

Cyril Percy Horspool B 1 Dec 1900 Died Jun 1/4 1976 at Nottingham Ref 8 - 0568, any good ?

There is also no records of any other Percy Horspool being born until 1902 so is the date on the           death a mistake?

I'm quite sure that this one is not him - it corresponds to this birth in Mar qtr. 1901:
Horsepool, Cyril Percy, Basford, vol. 7b: 150

Our Percy's birth cert gives his birthdate as 27 Aug 1898.

With a chequered history like that  ;) maybe he changed his name to start a new life,or even moved abroad?

I had considered that, Carol - but it has not helped much! Maybe I should just leave this part of the family alone...it's clearly what Percy would want me to do.  ::) I do have the feeling that he stayed in the area, because though he was estranged, I think at one point there was some contact. That makes me think he stayed in the country.