Author Topic: Knigsley road . northampton .how do i start to reasearch the history of my house  (Read 11784 times)

Offline kingsleyj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi, Sorry this could be a long post!!!

I am lloking to reaseach the history of my house. What i want to achieve is a historical knowledge of who lived here and what the house looked at through there tennure.
Ideally i would like pictorial references, alongside names of people that lived here, to put a sort of pack together.
I would also love some kind of building plans if they still existed!!!!

Our house is a unique victorian house along a road of mainly victorian terreced homes. I cant be sure but i think the build date was late 1860's. I could date it easily. It was one of the first houses along this street to be built.
Our house has a number but also has a 'name' inscribed into the stonework.

WHAT I HAVE DONE SO FAR!! Is purely interenet based..

1911 Census ic complete
                 1901 Census is complete ( different family to above )
                   1891 Census ..... 

kingsley road has fewer entries , houses by names not numbers , although our house name is missing there are severel entries of houses with no names / numbers. I may be able to deduce which entry is our by assuming  the schedule numbers move up the street in order. I have searched the occupants from 1901 who live in a different property in northampton at this time.

1881 Census.........

Kingsley Road has just 2 entries. However kingsley garden ( although we have a series of cottages further down the road called kingsley gardens )  and kingsley park & Estate appear either side of it. Again no entries for house names etc.
Of the 2 Entries no names match any latter ones to our homes entries.

1871 Census.......

No entries for Kingsley road

I have also looked at old maps online which confirm the house being there on its earlyist maps ( about 1884 ) and it being one of only a few there at this time.

What i was going to do next was visit the local records office...

But i dont know what i will be looking for? what documents? do they have a census there to browse more easily than pay per view internet site?
will they hold old plans / changes to the house i.e. planning

Ideally i would like to track down descendents of the people who lived at my house in search of some old photos and information/ stories....
I have these peoples names but where do i start on tracing there desendents bearing in mind i cant trace any further forward than the 1911 census?

Or anyone have a telephone number of someone who knows everything about northampton !!lol

I can supply names on the censuses etc to anyone that wants to look at the specific details , i just ommited them on this intial message....

So there we go i hope your not too bored and still awake but any ideas muchly appreciated.

in advance

jay

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Knigsley road . northampton .how do i start to reasearch the history of my house
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 December 10 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jay

Have you got the deeds to the house? When we cleared my late mother's house I found the deeds, which were interesting as they gave when it was built and the names of the various owners and how much they each paid for it.

If you haven't got them you might be able to get them from the Land Registry.

Jan
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kingsleyj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Knigsley road . northampton .how do i start to reasearch the history of my house
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 December 10 23:23 GMT (UK) »
we did have the ones for our old house they were really usefull!!!!
i havent seen anything for our current house. I just assumed the things get lost(loads of old indentures etc)
can you point me in the right direction of the land registry?

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 December 10 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Don't know if this is any good

http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/

If you still have a mortgage on your house, the deeds will probably be with the mortgage company. I know mine were returned to me when I paid the mortgage off.

Jan

Offline kingsleyj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 December 10 23:43 GMT (UK) »
yes we have a mortgage , so i assume the pack of old indentures etc could be with the mortgage company so i assume a phone call and i should be able to see them!!!

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 December 10 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Worth a try.  ;)

Good luck

Jan

Offline Jeuel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 10:59 GMT (UK) »
You may find it worthwhile to visit Northamptonshire archives/records office or a local history centre/museum. 
Chowns in Buckinghamshire
Broad, Eplett & Pope in St Ervan/St Columb Major, Cornwall
Browning & Moore in Cambridge, St Andrew the Less
Emms, Mealing & Purvey in Cotswolds, Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham in Norfolk
Higho in London
Matthews & Nash in Whichford, Warwickshire
Smoothy, Willsher in Coggeshall & Chelmsford, Essex

Offline slippery

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jay

I am trying to find out the history of our cottage, we have deeds only going back to 1900.
What I have been doing is searching for ancestors of the people who lived here by searching  their family trees on Ancestry and Genes. I just say I have no family connections but I live in the house their ancestors lived in.
People have visited our cottage and given me photographs of their ancestors, one dated from 1865. We had a visit from the person who carried out the major modifications in the 1960's.

You never know what you will find out till you try.

Best of luck

Peter

Offline kingsleyj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 15:09 GMT (UK) »
years ago we visitred a house one of my wife ancesters lived in with just a photo to direct us!!

which website have you found best to trace people on. you say ancestry and genes  is that ancestryandgenes.com?
very new to this!!