Author Topic: Fowler and Scott families St Helier, Jersey  (Read 1829 times)

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fowler and Scott families St Helier, Jersey
« on: Wednesday 22 December 10 13:54 GMT (UK) »
My 2 x great grandparents Charles Fowler and Elizabeth Ann Scott were married in St Helier on 26 Sept 1835. Charles Fowler was born in Gravesend, Kent the youngest son of a Sergeant in the 5th batallion of the Royal Artillery. Elizabeth Scott was born in St Helier on 25 Aug 1816. I have been told by a distant cousin that her parents were Jean Scott and Jeanne Huelin. On 1911 census Elizabeth states that her father was born in Dorset (not Jersey as I thought). However (as her mother has a Jersey name) I suspect they were married in Jersey. I would be really grateful if anyone could look up this marriage - presumably some time before 1816. As Charles was a cabinet maker (not a trade which he would need to emigrate to Jersey to carry out), I suspect his father (Kenneth Fowler) was at one time serving at Fort Regent and brought his wife and younger children with him. I have not found any trace of Kenneth and wife Mary Ann on any census, nor have I found any England & Wales death records for them. Again I would be really grateful if anyone could have a look for Fowlers in any Jersey death records. I estimate Kenneth and Mary Ann would be born between 1765 and 1775 and would have children: Isabella (b1802),  James (b1809) and Emily (b1814) to give guidance on age at death.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Fowler and Scott families St Helier, Jersey
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 December 10 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Just to let you know that the Jersey Archive will be closed until the first week in January so no-one will be able to help you until then.
I had a quick look through the censuses and Charles certainly seems to have done his bit for keeping the Fowler name going in Jersey!
Is it possible that given some of the Christian names in the family, eg Kenneth, Isabella that the family originated in Scotland?

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fowler and Scott families St Helier, Jersey
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 December 10 08:48 GMT (UK) »
I tentatively thought there might be Scottish origins because of the Christian names, but Fowler is a pretty universal surname. Kenneth and Mary Ann were married in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk in 1795 and their first child was born there the following year. After that the children are born at regular intervals and baptised at places around the south and east coast consistent with Kenneth's service in the Royal Artillery. All baptisms are in independent churches, one being at the Scottish Presbyterian Church in Woolwich.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott