Author Topic: Innes family of St Monance  (Read 7418 times)

Offline Ajmlon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Innes family st monance fife
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 10:41 GMT (UK) »
James innes and Isabella innes married 02 10 1868, they lived in st monans fife scotland, my grandmother agnes innes was their daughter, she said she had 8 brothers, however we can find 7 george,james,alexander,John,david,chapman,allan,  it has been suggested there is an Andrew, alternatively it is suggested that john their first born died  early and there was another john. Would appreciate your advice. Kind regards alec mackenzie

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Innes family st monance fife
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked for a birth/death on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

That site shows a birth in 1872 for an Andrew Innes in St Monance but you need to buy credits to see if the parents match
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Another possibility is a John Innes born 1868 in St Monance ref 454/21 died 1871 in St Monance Ref 454/21  all on scotlandspeople as listed by CaroleW

From your surname of Mackenzie did your grandmother Agnes Innes marry a Mackenzie? Was she born around 1887 and die in 1964? If so there is a photograph of the Headstone on Find A Grave in Pitenweem Cemetery.

Welcome to Rootschat

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 12:11 GMT (UK) »
From FamilySearch, there are three births in St Monance to James Innes and Isabella Davidson, who were married in St Monance on 2 October 1868
John, 31 October 1868
George, 29 September 1870
James, 22 September 1872

John Innes, aged 2, died in St Monance in 1871.

In the 1881 census (transcription) James Innes, 32, and Isabella Innes, 35, are in St Monance with George, 14; James, 8; Alexander, 6; John, 4; and David, 1.

In 1891, the census index lists James Innes, 44; Isabella Innes, 44; George, 20; James, 18; Alexander, 16; John, 14; David, 11; Chapman, 8; Allan, 7 and Agnes, 4.

In 1901 the index lists James, 52; Isabella, 54; Chapman, 19; Allan, 17; Agnes, 14.

So the full list is George, John, James, Alexander, John, David, Chapman, and Allan, and yes the first John did die and a later son was named John.

You should go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and download the marriage certificate (which will tell you the names of James' and Isabella's parents including their mothers' maiden surnames) and the 1911 census, which will tell you how many children Isabella had had and how many were still living.

You might also view the birth certificates of all the children, the death certificate of the first John, and the 1871, 1881, 1891 and 190 census to make sure that the indexes and transcription are correct (for example there is an error in George's age in 1881, when he would have been 10, not 14, years old).

You could also look for the deaths of James' and Isabella's parents. If they died after 1855, that will tell you the names of Agnes' grandparents including her grandmothers' maiden surnames.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Innes family of St Monance
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 15:31 GMT (UK) »
I see that I have been duplicating existing efforts, as the information I ferreted out this morning had already been stated on a different thread (now merged with this one) nine years ago.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline familysearch2011

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 06 December 22 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Found this link to Margaret Innes through Google while searching for my grandfather's brother William Fogarty.
William was born in 1898 in Templmore Co Tipperary, Ireland. I am not sure of how he ended up in Kirkcaldy.
What I do have is his marriage certificate showing that he married Maggie Myles 3 June 1918 in St Monence.
Maggie's father James was stated as being deceased. Mother's name Elizabeth.
In the 1901 census Elizabeth is living with her mother Margaret Innes in West End St Monence.

Is there anyone with links to this family be it Fogarty, Myles or Innes?

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 12:21 GMT (UK) »
I had a look on Scotlandspeople. William Fogarty and Maggie Myles were married in 1918 at Crossroads, Methil, and it was a Catholic ceremony. Maggie was christened Maggie, not Margaret, which is unusual. She was born in 1898, the illegitimate daughter of Elspeth Myles, and Elspeth signs the birth certificate as Elspeth Myles. I suppose her husband James Myles was dead by then but of course she keeps Myles as her surname. No idea who the father of her child was.

William Fogarty is a private in the 463rd Ploughman Coy. (Company), which I must say I have never heard of before. Presumably farm labourers drafted into the army. At the time of his marriage he was living in Kilconquhar, of all the unlikely places.

Harry

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Here are the marriage certificate of Wm. Fogarty and Maggie Myles, and her birth certificate, if anybody wants to study them. There are some inconsistencies in this story. I can't find James Myles!

Harry

PS having problems sending, I'll try compressing the files and hope they will still be readable.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 13:06 GMT (UK) »
The plot thickens. I noticed in the 1901 St.M. census that Maggie Myles's mother Elspeth Innes was "single", not a widow, and so was her mother. Elspeth herself was illegitimate, but a note in the Register of Corrected Entries shows that her natural father was Walter Myles, carter in Cellardyke. He himself was married, to Euphemia Grubb. I grew up in Cellardyke and members of the Myles family were still carters and hauliers then.

Harry