Author Topic: Looking for Killops  (Read 4746 times)

Offline littlemissrat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Killops
« on: Wednesday 29 December 10 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Hiya all,

I have married into the Killops family, and have started to trace their family history. They came from Killyleagh in County Down with a living Killops still living there. I have got a Hugh (now spelt Killips in some records) marrying an Ellen McCutcheon around 1877, they then had 5 children with a possible 4 more. The five children were Kate, Nellie, Hugh, Robert and Mary. Robert then Married an Annie and they had 5 children. Any help would be great?  :)

Anne

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Killops
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    Hugh Killips married Ellen McCutcheon on 3 Feb 1877 in Downpatrick Non-subscribing Presbyterian Church. You can find the family in the 1901 census,www.census.nationalarchives.ie in Hamilton Lane. Killyleagh DED. Search under Ellen Killops.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline littlemissrat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 January 11 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Hiya,

Thank you for that, i have just joined emerald ancestry and found those details on their website. There doesnt seem to be many records for this family. I have got the details from the census, but am trying to work out the brethwick and simpson within the killops! Guess the killops married in to those families.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 January 11 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   The fathers of the couple were Hugh Killips and Alexander McCutcheon.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline littlemissrat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 January 11 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help, i have that hugh and i think he died around 1872 from what i saw somewhere (but i dont have proof that it is the right date though), and that is as far back as i can go. I dont know who Hugh married or how many other children, the one son i have is the Hugh who married Ellen McCutcheon in 1877. Its proving quite hard researching this irish family.

Offline emerald-1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 February 13 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi
 I am completely new here so please bare with me. I am also searching for the name killops or killips not sure of the spelling. It is probably in the county down area of Partick as that is where all others in family seems to come from. I am looking for Ellen Killops whose madden name may have been Taylor. She married John Morgan in 1840. I am also looking for Margaret Killops married to Mark Quinn. I think Margarets father may have been William Killops. I have information up until this point but unable to get any further ahead as I am stuck with Killops. It may be that we are searching the same people. Do you think ?

Emerald

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 February 13 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Emerald.

There's a Partick in Scotland but perhaps you mean Downpatrick in County Down?

Civil registration of Catholic marriages began in 1864 and non-Catholic marriages from 1845 so for earlier dates you need to see if church records survive. There are some Killops/Killips records here-
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/K/KibKim.htm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline emerald-1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 February 13 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Oh sorry yes thats what I meant Down Patrick Ireland . Thanks for that

Offline irene40

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 20:14 GMT (UK) »
My Wife's Is a descendant from Larmour Clarkhill Killaleagh county Down. Her great grand father was william larmour born abt 1852 married mary killip/op abt 1874. As yet i've been unable to find the avtual marriage cert . Between 1874 and 1904 they had seventeen children. born in four different counties.       William and mary eventually settled in Cookstown Co.Tyrone late 1800,s.  Of the seventeen born by 1911 census only 10 were still alive. I have birth certs for most and know where some were interred. My wife's mother was a daughter of Elizabeth Larmour br abt 1874. I have not come across a Hugh in the early Larmour's of co. down There is however a Hugh in the later generation. Also I have not been able to turn-up any siblings of Mary Killips who married William Larmour. It don't think this will be of much help to you, one never knows what turns up. Cheers Ronnie Moffett