Author Topic: Hugh Smith- Can't find in 1901 census  (Read 19160 times)

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Smith- Can't find in 1901 census
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 11 January 14 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Owen,
        On 24 April 1904 Hugh Smith married Margaret Thompson in Bovevagh church of Ireland.
On 27 Mar 1843 Edward Smith married Mary Ann Irwin in Bovevagh Presbyterian Church. From the 1908 pension records there was a family in the townland of Drumadreen. between Limavady and Dungiven called Smith:-
Edward Smith
Mary Ann Smith
Thomas Smith aged 10
Hugh Smith aged 3
James Smith aged 1

Regards

oh my god. Never worry about that, its all nonsense anyway lol.

Thanks very much. I will write that down.
Are you saying then that my Hugh Smith has for definite a father called Edward Smith and a mother Mary Ann Irwin?

By the way you wouldn't know where Dunmore would be? My father said that it is near the coleraine mountain? I would love to see where my great grandmother was born.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Sunday 12 January 14 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Owen,
        Dunmore is on the right hand side of Windyhill Road (Murderhole Road) as you head towards Coleraine. It is opposite Ballyhanna Forest just inside the Limavady boundary where the Bolea Road joins the Windyhill Road.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Sunday 12 January 14 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Owen,
        Dunmore is on the right hand side of Windyhill Road (Murderhole Road) as you head towards Coleraine. It is opposite Ballyhanna Forest just inside the Limavady boundary where the Bolea Road joins the Windyhill Road.

Regards

So really on the hill. Thats odd because they went to balteagh church. Maybe a land deal or something. Is there anyway of working out where the smiths where in general?

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 12 January 14 11:12 GMT (UK) »

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 12 January 14 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Owen,
        There is another family in Drumaduff using the spelling Smyth. These are descended from my Ggrandfather. I have been trying for some years to find a connection between the Smiths and Smyths because of the similarities in First names. So far I have had no success. You mentioned earlier that the Balteagh connection was all nonsense. Do you mean that they are not connected to you?
     Dunmore is a large townland, over 1000 acres, and it stretches from the Broad Road to Windyhill Road and is all mountain. The Griffiths Valuation is not available at the moment but you could look for Smiths in the Revision Books.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 12 January 14 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Owen,
        There is another family in Drumaduff using the spelling Smyth. These are descended from my Ggrandfather. I have been trying for some years to find a connection between the Smiths and Smyths because of the similarities in First names. So far I have had no success. You mentioned earlier that the Balteagh connection was all nonsense. Do you mean that they are not connected to you?
     Dunmore is a large townland, over 1000 acres, and it stretches from the Broad Road to Windyhill Road and is all mountain. The Griffiths Valuation is not available at the moment but you could look for Smiths in the Revision Books.

Regards

No I mean't the previous data. The balteagh church is correct I went to the library yesterday and my g grandmother was definately baptised there.

But I don't think my smiths originate there. I think they originate in Bovevagh.

Yes I am aware of that but I was trying to locate the house.

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 12 January 14 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Would your smiths be connected to the mcclenaghans? I keep seeing that popping up in the census

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Sunday 12 January 14 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Owen,
         Yes, an Isaac Smyth married Eleanor McClenaghan and their son married my GGrandfather's descendant.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Sunday 12 January 14 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Alright thats fine. I just seen the name appearing a few times and I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't a connection.