Author Topic: Looking for Wilsons  (Read 1706 times)

Offline andy28

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Wilsons
« on: Thursday 30 December 10 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fellow Ancestry Nuts,
I am trying to track down what happened to my GG-Grandfather, Thomas Joseph Wilson born in High Bridge, Newcastle on 08-09-1846 to Thomas and Jane Wilson.
He was in the 99th regiment of foot and fought in the Zulu War of 1879. I can't find his army discharge papers or locate where or when he died.
Any help or info would be appreciated.
Regards
Andy28

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Wilsons
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 December 10 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi

When and where did you last have him on census?  I presume he married - when and when/where was his youngest child born.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andy28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 December 10 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie99,
I have him in the 1851 census in high bridge, I then jump forward to his marriage certificate of 1874, a birth certificate of his son in 1879 when he is out in South Africa with the regiment fighting the Zulu's and then to his son's marriage certificate (original) of 1898 which still has his fathers profession down as soldier, the son now living in London, so presuming that at this time he is still alive and not yet retired from the army.
So with regard to the census i would not know where to start looking.
Any ideas?
Regards
Andy28

Offline TracyW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 December 10 18:53 GMT (UK) »
According to wikipedia the 99th amalgamated with the 62nd in 1881 and became the Wilshire Regiment (Duke of Edingburgh's).

Before the 2nd Boer war in 1899, there was one section in India and another in Guernsey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiltshire_Regiment

It says that the depot was in Devizes. That might help with narrowing down census searches.

What was the name of his wife and did they have any other children?  Where did they marry? Have you got the wife on any census records? She may be living close to where the regiment was based. What was the last census that you have his wife in?
Researching Muckles from Chatton, Ords from Bamburgh early 1800's, Fyalls originally from St Monans in Scotland, Troughtons - Cumberland to Tynemouth, Rollestones from Leicester & Old, Quarmans from Somerset

Offline TracyW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 December 10 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, another question...

Where in London was the son in 1898? And was he Born or Christened on the 1846 date?

It's just that there's a 1909 death on freebmd for a Thomas Joseph Wilson aged 69:

Deaths Mar 1909 
~~~~~~~~

WILSON  Thomas Joseph  69  Shoreditch  1c 37
Researching Muckles from Chatton, Ords from Bamburgh early 1800's, Fyalls originally from St Monans in Scotland, Troughtons - Cumberland to Tynemouth, Rollestones from Leicester & Old, Quarmans from Somerset

Offline andy28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 December 10 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi TracyW,
He was definately born on the 1846 date as i have his birth certificate. His wife's maiden name was Sarah Edwards Bowbrick.
Good thought about looking at the area around the regimental depot in regard to the census, didn't clock that one at all...doh..!!
I'll need to find out whether the regiment, which had two battalions at this point, made up from the old 99th and the 62nd, had one on home duty recruiting and one on foreign duty which was normally the case.
I know his wife travelled with the regiment to South Africa as his son was born out there in 1879.
Their children were Ethel (born 1874) Stephen Joseph (born 1879) Lilly (born 1884)
The date you have for the Thomas Joseph Wilson death puts him at 69 whereas he would have been 63 in 1909....
Thanks for looking this up though, any further help or suggestions you may have would be great...I need all the help i can get...hope the above info you asked helps you help me..!!
Regards
Andy28