Author Topic: Parish Records: Mccurdie  (Read 3067 times)

Offline lyoung77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parish Records: Mccurdie
« on: Thursday 30 December 10 19:19 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for additional information on the birth of John Mccurdie, born about 1810 in Scotland.

The only documentation I have is his marriage information as follows:
John Mccurdie married Ann Blackburn on 6 Dec 1828 in Lochwinnoch, Renfrewshire, Scotland.

They immigrated to the United States, I believe in 1836, and settled in Massachusetts.

I do have Ann Blackburn's parents listed on her death certificate as William   Blackburn and Ann ??

John's death certificate did not indicate names of parents.  Spelling on death certificate was McKirdy.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Linda

Offline Blanched

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Records: Mccurdie
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 January 11 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda

I'm not sure that I can help very much but there is a bit more information about John & Ann. The most usual spelling would be McKirdy & there is a record of a marriage between John McKirdy & Agnes Blackburn on 7 December 1828 in Barony Parish, Glasgow. Agnes is probably a mis-transcription but it looks as though John came from Glasgow & Ann from Lochwinnoch. There is a son John born 9 Sep 1834 & baptised 12 Oct 1834 in Gorbals, Lanarkshire. These are all listed on the IGI (see www.familysearch.org) but are all extracts from the OPR, so the originals can be viewed at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk This is a ppv site but not too expensive if you don't get carried away. I could be particularly helpful to look as son John's entry as it will probably show who witnessed his baptism & if any of them were named McKirdy, it might give you line to father John.

Also on the IGI is a birth about 1812 in Lochwinnoch of Ann Blackburn, whose parents are shown as John Blackburn & Ann Wallace. This is a submitted entry.

I don't see any obvious birth for John McKirdy about the right time, although there are some submitted entries. The name McKirdy has strong connections to the island of Bute, so he might well have come from there. One way of trying to work out the names of his parents is to look at the names of his children. Often children were named in a particular order - 1st son after paternal grandfather, 2nd son after maternal grandfather, 3rd son after father, 1st daughter after maternal grandmother, 2nd daughter after paternal grandmother, 3rd daughter after mother. It's not failsafe but can be a useful pointer.

Hope this is helpful

Blanche

Offline lyoung77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 January 11 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Blanche !!

The information you provided does help.  I did find the son John a few days ago.   The census here in the US shows McKirdy spelled in so many different ways, that it has been difficult to trace throughout the years.  It's nice to know that is should be spelled McKirdy.

John and Ann did have more children after arriving in the U.S.

John born in Scotland
Mary Ellen born (unknown)  census shows Scotland and Rhode Island
James (unable to track)
Elizabeth (my great-great grandmother) born in Rhode Island or Massachusetts.
and Jennie born in Connecticut.

Ann's death certificate shows parents as William Blackburn and Ann (unknown).  Could his full name possible be William John or John William?

Can you tell me how much 6GBP is in U.S. dollars?

Thanks again for all your help.  I was beginning to think I would never be able to trace this family line.

Linda

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 January 11 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

£6 GBP is about $9.30 USD.

If you access Scotlands People and purchase 30 credits (£6), you will see it is 1 credit for a search and 5 credits to access the original record.

I am not sure whether it is beneficial to access on Scotlands People the old parish record for the birth (5 credits) as before 1855 it does not usually tell you anything more than the original search. After 1855 it gives much more information.

On SP it is quite easy to spend your 30 credits before you know it!

Regards
Murphyz

Offline smidget

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 23:36 BST (UK) »
I also have a McCurdie connection. My gg grandmother was Margaret McCurdie b. 1815 in Kilwinning, Ayrshire. I found her birth in Scotland's People registered with the name Margaret Curdie. I will have to order her death certificate just to 100% sure that I have the right person but it's the only one that fits with my date and place of birth. She married John Howie and they moved to England around 1842. I have her obituary which states the year and place of her birth but doesn't mention any McCurdie or Curdie family members. This may be because they stayed in Scotland and she maybe lost touch with them?
Margaret had a brother John born April 6, 1807 also in Kilwinning. The parents names are Robert Curdie and Mary Service.
Could this be your John?

Janet

Offline lyoung77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 03:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Janet,

My John McKirdy died 29 Jan 1875 in Dedham, Massachusetts.  The information on the document recording his death shows that he was 65 years 0 months, and 0 days old.  His wife died less than 1 month later.  So  I don't know who was reporting his age.  If his age is correct, then John had to be born about 1810.  So, I am still hunting for another piece of information to help find his parents.  I did find a birth record for a John McKirdy born 26 Feb 1810 to a Robert Mckirdy and Elizabeth Morison, but have no way of proving this lineage. 

I am going to try to see if there is an obituary published in 1875 that might give more information.  Good luck on your hunt.  Never know, we could cross paths again with more information.

Linda