Author Topic: Isted's of East Sussex  (Read 13711 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Isted's of East Sussex
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 15:59 BST (UK) »
Hi again Nanny with Rosie

I was going to list the baptisms of Thomas and Charlotte's children for you last night but I think I was getting tired, I got completely confused.  Here they are now in case you don't have them

All at Ashburnham and to Thomas and Charlotte
Thomas, 13 August 1832, labourer
Anne, 25 May 1834, labourer
Henry - haven't found yet
Caroline, 22 April 1838, labourer, abode - Ashburnham
James, 22 March 1840, labourer
John, 1 May 1843, labourer
Emily - not found yet
Alfred, 9 august 1846, abode - Burnt Barns
Sarah 15 October 1848, labourer
George, 11 August 1850, labourer

HTH

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 16:02 BST (UK) »
Henry, 5 June 1836, labourer
Emily, 20 April 1845, labourer

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Nanny with Rosie

• RootsChat Member
  • Rosie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 16:28 BST (UK) »
Kerryb

Thank you for that useful information - I read that they resided at Burnt Barns Ashburnham in both the 1841 and 1851 censuses.  However Anne was missing in the 1851 census - presumably had died but cannot trace.

There were two further children born after 1851c, one being Lydia who is my link to the family via James Parrish and Edward Archer (his son married my Aunt Margaret and lived in Speldhurst.  I think it was James' brother Percy who married my Aunt Ada (nee Henocq) and Margaret's sister.

I am also wondering if  John b.1804, Henry 1812, Thomas 1806 and Elizabeth 1805 could be siblings with others of Ashburnham - do you have any info on the others?

Once again many thanks.
NANNY WITH ROSIE
Baker, Cousens/Couzins, Delo, Goldsack, Hayes, Matson, Munday, Shether/Sheather, in Kent
Askew/Henocq/Wigglesworth in London/Middx/Norfolk and Yorkshire
Lonsdales in Lancashire
Saunders in Lancashire/South Wales and Somerset

Offline Nanny with Rosie

• RootsChat Member
  • Rosie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerryb

Have just been putting the info you sent onto the Isted tree and found the following info which I wonder if you know about:

George b.1838 a twin to Caroline (have same ref on Freebmd) and died 1849 7/411 1st qtr. the next George was born a year later and Eliza and Lydia Charlotte b.1853 twins - Eliza d.1839 Battle 2b/29 2nd qtr.

Nanny with Rosie
Baker, Cousens/Couzins, Delo, Goldsack, Hayes, Matson, Munday, Shether/Sheather, in Kent
Lonsdales in Lancashire

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hi again

First one

Burial of Anne at Ashburnham
14 August 1852
age 11 years.  Might be worth getting hold of death certificate to find out what she died of.  A childhood disease perhaps.

Kerry

Offline Nanny with Rosie

• RootsChat Member
  • Rosie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi - very interesting as I had thought I might have found Anne in the 1851c. in Ashburnham as a servant age 16.  Don't have access to the full census to find out the address, but wondered if it would be at the 'big house' as I understand Ashburnham is a small village/community.

Ta
NANNY WITH ROSIE
Lonsdales in Lancashire

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 19:57 BST (UK) »
Ashburnham is/was a small community but there is a big house were a lot of villagers worked and for the estate.  Don't know if you have come across this website before but it is very useful.  http://www.ashburnham-past.co.uk/6384.html

the only George I can find being born 1838 is to George and Eliza in Dallington and baptised there on 13 May 1838.  It seems strange that if Caroline had a twin brother he wasn't baptised with her which he should have been and I can't find a burial for him.

Kerry

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 19:59 BST (UK) »
I've found Lydia

baptised at Ashburnham to thomas and Charlotte again abode - Burnt Barns
on 30 March 1853

Kerry

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 20:14 BST (UK) »
It appears that

John Golding was baptised at Ashburnham on 12 June 1803 to John and Mary
His sister was Elizabeth baptised at Ashburnham on 3 August 1806

Thomas and Philadelphia, parents of Thomas 1806 had an Ann baptised in 1809

Henry was Henry Maynard Isted and was baptised on 9 June 1811 to Mary, he was baseborn.

I think it may be that Thomas and John were brothers.  Unfortunately though the Sussex Family History database has a gap in the baptism records for Ashburnham between 1711 and 1784 so you would need to check originals for that.

Kerry