Author Topic: MARTIN family SITHNEY, HELSTON.  (Read 5381 times)

Offline llama llady

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MARTIN family SITHNEY, HELSTON.
« on: Saturday 01 January 11 13:06 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find the area where James Martin a carpenter, and his family lived. James and his wife Eliza were married in Sithney church in 1837. Their first 4 children were baptised in Helston between 1838 and 1846 and the address was given as either St Johns or Anstratea. I have visited Sithney several times, but have drawn a blank as to the exact area they would have lived in. Does anyone know if either of these places still exists, or where they were? Thanks, Louise.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: MARTIN family SITHNEY, HELSTON.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 January 11 15:46 GMT (UK) »
The 1841 census shows the address as Church St.  Civil Parish was Helston and Kerrier was the district

Is this the right family?

James Martin 25
Eliza   25
Emily  2
Philip 3mths
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 January 11 16:18 GMT (UK) »
is Eliza with her son James in St John's HO107/139/1 folio 22 pg 7?  given that she was a Corner when she married and a John Corner is in the household?

St John's is on the west side of the Penzance Road & is still there. Look for Old Hill on this map
http://www.aboutbritain.com/maps/helston-map.asp
It's in the parish of Sithney, but you can see st Michael's in Helston from there.

The Thomas Russell who witnessed their marriage was the parish clerk of Sithney. His uncle, William, my 4 x greatgrandfather was parish clerk before him.

:D

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline llama llady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 January 11 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your help. Eliza living with John Corner is the right one, I believe he was her grandfather. Thank you also for the map, I have been searching on the wrong side of the Penzance Road. ::)  James and Eliza are my 3x great grandparents, its strange to think that our ancestors knew each other well.  Are you local to Helston? The reason I ask is that By 1851 James Martin and family had moved to London, on that census his place of birth is down as Good or Goad, Cornwall, do you know of such a place? James died before the 1861 census.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 January 11 18:24 GMT (UK) »
I'm not local, but I have visited St Johns. I've not come across somewhere called Good.  I wonder if it could be Grade?
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/Cornwall/Grade/index.html

There's a baptism of a James Martin in the IGI extracted batch for Grade 4/11/1810, son of James & Ursula. There are some transcribed records for baptisms to the couple in neighbouring parishes, father James given as innkeeper.
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/moreinfo.php?ID=798445&dbtype=baptisms&formval=
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/moreinfo.php?ID=677990&dbtype=baptisms&formval=
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/moreinfo.php?ID=678021&dbtype=baptisms&formval=
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/moreinfo.php?ID=677956&dbtype=baptisms&formval=

There's a possible for Ursula in the 1851 census in Mullion HO107/1913 folio 174 pg 45. She's enumerated as a widow & carpenter's wife.

http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/moreinfo.php?ID=442073&dbtype=burials&formval=
their marriage - rather close to the baptism of eldest child  ::)
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/moreinfo.php?ID=295473&dbtype=marriages&formval=

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline llama llady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 January 11 19:14 GMT (UK) »
I think you are right. James and Eliza went on to have a daughter - Ursula in 1853. I had wondered about John Corner, but couldn't be sure either way. Thank you.

Offline Gary Allison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 May 13 06:19 BST (UK) »
My name is Gary in Australia & I am tracing my wife’s forebears including the Martins from Stithians. I have attached what I have found to date & there are a couple of problems with 1/2 siblings but no indication of previous or latter marriages. Just wondering if you can shed some light on the matter & I look forward to hearing from you.

Thomasen Marten
England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975   christening:   27 Dec 1725   STITHIANS,CORNWALL,ENGLAND
   •   parents:Granvel Marten

Catheren Marten
England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975   christening:   13 Jul 1730   STITHIANS,CORNWALL,ENGLAND
   •   parents:Granvel Marten

Eliz. Marten
England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975   christening:   01 Jan 1724   STITHIANS,CORNWALL,ENGLAND
   •   parents:Granvil Marten
•      

Grenvel Marten
England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975   christening:   04 Nov 1727   STITHIANS,CORNWALL,ENGLAND
   •   parents:Grenvel Marten

Sarah Marten
England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975   christening:   22 Feb 1734   STITHIANS,CORNWALL,ENGLAND

John Marten
England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975   christening:   14 May 1737   STITHIANS,CORNWALL,ENGLAND

David & Temperance Martin & Family
(Printed form with handwritten insertions, shown in bold text)

CORNWALL. To the Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor of the Parish of Perranarworthal in the County of Cornwall and to the Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor of the Parish ofKea in the County aforesaid and to each and every of them

Upon complaint of the Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor of the Parish of Perranarworthal aforesaid unto Us, whose Names are hereunto set, and Seals affixed, being two of His Majesty’s Justices of the Peace in and for the said County and one of us of the Quorum, That David MARTIN, Temperance his wife, David aged about five years and half and James aged about two years and half their children have come to inhabit in the said Parish ofPerranarworthal not having gained a legal Settlement there; and that the said David MARTIN, Temperance his wife and David and James their children are now actually chargeable to the said Parish of Perranarworthal We the said Justices upon due proof thereof, as well upon the examination of the said David MARTIN upon Oath, as otherwise, and likewise upon due consideration had of the premises, do adjudge the same to be true: and we do likewise adjudge that the lawful Settlement of the said David MARTIN, Temperance his wife and David and James their children is in the said Parish of Kea in the said County We do therefore require you the said Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor of the Parish ofPerranarworthal or some or one of you to convey the saidDavid MARTIN, Temperance his wife and David and James their children from and out of your said Parish of Perranarworthal to the said Parish of Kea and them to deliver to the Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, there, or to some or one of them, together with this our Order, or a true copy thereof, at the same time shewing to them the Original; and We do also hereby require you the said Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor of the said Parish ofKea to receive and provide for them as inhabitants of your said Parish

GIVEN under our Hands and Seals, the thirtieth day of September in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred andthirty.

Edw ROGERS (signed)
John S ENYS (signed)
N.B. Words in italics within brackets are inserted by the transcriber e.g. (signed)
Source:LDS Film Number 1596594
Grenville Martin (1727 - d.) 
•   
•   

Birthdate:   November 4, 1727
Birthplace:   St.Stithians, Cornwall.
Death:   (Date and location unknown)

Managed by:   Bjørn P. Brox

Last Updated:   July 21, 2009
View Complete Profile
view all 16
Immediate Family
Ann Woolcock wife
Grenville Martyn Son 1727
Jenefer Martin daughter
Thomas Martin son
John Martin son 1737
Sarah Martin daughter 1734
Grenvell Martin father
Elizabeth mother
Thomasin Martin sister 1725
Martin brother
Catheren half sister
Temperance half sister
Grenville Martin's Timeline
1727    November 4, 1727   Birth of Grenville
St.Stithians, Cornwall.   
1760    1760
Age 32   Marriage of Grenville Martin to Ann Woolcock
Redruth, Cornwall, , England   
1762    1762
Age 34   Birth of John Martin

Regards,

Gary.

Offline Gary Allison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 January 24 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi.

Just wondering if anyone can ad any more info to that I have.

Cheers,

Gary.