Author Topic: Mary Bethune McLeod (Russell)  (Read 1746 times)

Offline irene784

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Bethune McLeod (Russell)
« on: Tuesday 04 January 11 09:12 GMT (UK) »
I have Mary Bethune McLeod Russell listed on the 1881 census as being the adopted daughter of David Russell in Muiravonside.  I know she registered the death of her mother, Mary Russell nee Graham, in Dunfermline in 1900 but can find no trace of her after that.   Anyone have her in their family tree?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Irene
Clapperton, Young, Brown, Hogg, Bridges, Russell, Graham,Turnbull, Robson, Smith, McMahon,

Offline TesterScot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Bethune McLeod (Russell)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Irene,
The Russell/Graham families are part of my wife's tree.

As far as I can see, following some checking today, she *may* have emigrated to the US circa 1907.
I've found a listing for a Bethune Russell, a Governess, aged 45yrs, Single, traveling on the SS Resolute from New York to San Francisco, via Honolulu, Hawaii.  She lists a friend in Coronado, San Diego, California as Mrs Harry Bauld, of 41 Broad Street, Coronado, California; she also lists her place of birth as Edinburgh, Scotland. Her vital statistics are 5'10", Light Complexion, Grey Hair, Brown Eyes, with no identifying marks.
These details are recorded for the US Immigration Officer @ Honolulu, Hawaii on the 7th Feb 1923.

Also listed in March 1923 arriving @ San Francisco, returning from Kobe, Japan, on the SS President Wilson.

And arriving @ New York, from Naples, Italy, on the SS Columbus on 1st Feb 1931.

In the 1930 US Census, in Coronado, San Diego, California, she is listed with her Charge, Betty J Buell, as a Governess.
In the 1920 US Census, in Pasadena, Lod Angeles, California, she is listed with the Seggett family as a Governess.

Allan MacBain
MacBain/MacBean - Scotland - Any
Kennedy - Scotland/Ireland - Any
MacPherson - Scotland - Any
Anderson - Scotland - Any
Russell - UK - Any
Alexander - Scotland/Ireland - Any

Offline irene784

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Allan

Thank you so much for your reply.  I am excited now!  This could be the reason I cannot find a death or marriage for her in UK.  She was definately born in Edinburgh as I have her birth certificate, but was brought up/adopted by my GGG grandparents David and Mary Russell.  If she is not listed in the 1911 census, which will hopefully be available very soon, then you could be correct in your thinking.  By the way I am in Midlothian so not so very far from you.  I would be interested in knowing where your wife fits into the family.  I am descended from David and Mary Russells son John who married Catherine Aitken.
Best regards
Irene
Clapperton, Young, Brown, Hogg, Bridges, Russell, Graham,Turnbull, Robson, Smith, McMahon,

Offline TesterScot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 January 11 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Irene,
David & Mary Russell are my wife's GGG-Grandparents via their son James, who married Isabella Dempster.

Allan in Prestwick, Ayrshire.

PS - I found Bethune's Death Cert, in the US.
MacBain/MacBean - Scotland - Any
Kennedy - Scotland/Ireland - Any
MacPherson - Scotland - Any
Anderson - Scotland - Any
Russell - UK - Any
Alexander - Scotland/Ireland - Any

Offline irene784

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 January 11 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Allan

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.  Since Mary died in USA I will search no further.  I have always wondered why she was brought up by the Russells and what the connection, if any, there was  between her birth parents and the Russells but guess I will never know.

I am hoping to download my trees onto Ancestry but need to learn how to!

Best regards

Irene