Author Topic: Margaret Thomson  (Read 3132 times)

Offline KMcKenzie

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret Thomson
« on: Tuesday 04 January 11 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I'm looking for help tracing the siblings and father of the above Margaret Thomson. She was born around 1833 in Kilcalmonell (as it says on the census'). She dies in 1899 in Campbeltown leaving behind her Husband Hugh McCook who later passes in 1907.
On Margaret's Death Certificate is reads her Parents are Peter Thomson (Seaman - Deceased) & Flora Hamilton (Deceased). Her Son Hugh registers her Death. I have been able to find the Death of a Duncan Thompson in 1862 in Kilberry, Argyll. His parents are listed as Peter Thompson (Herring Fisher - Given as Living) & Flora Hamilton (Living), his death is registered by Flora Currie - Cousin. Flora Thomson nee Hamilton dies in 1867 in Campbeltown and she is the widow of Peter Thomson. Her parents are Archibald Hamilton & Ann Turner. Her Daughter Catherine Thomson registers her death.
Here are my dilemma's.
Peter must have died between 1862 and 1867 unless there was a mistake on Duncan Thompson's Death Certificate and Peter had died previous to his son, but I haven’t been able to find a Death for Peter between those dates.
I can’t find a birth for Catherine Thomson, the daughter who registered Flora Thomson nee Hamilton’s death in 1867. For that matter I can’t find the birth’s of any of Peter & Flora’s children in Argyll or anywhere else.
The census’ on Ancestry are also proving difficult for me to find any evidence of the family as a whole. I have found Margaret Thomson and Duncan Thomson In 1841 living in Lochkiernanbeg, Kilcalmonell with their Grandfather Archibald Hamilton. Duncan is 5 and born in Argyll. Nancy (Margaret) is 8 also born in Argyll. No 1851 census have I been able to find for the family.

If anyone could help me find Peter Thomson and the births of his children to Flora Hamilton I would be chuffed to bits as Peter has been very much a mystery to me for a long time now.

Thankyou,

Keelan

McKenzie - Inverness & Argyll.
McCormack - Lanarkshire & Ireland.
McCullen & Gribben - Northern Ireland.
Cook/McCook - Killean & Kilchenzie, Argyll.
Mustard/e - Campbeltown & Angus/Perth
McFadyen/McFarlane/McLean - Tyree & Coll
Sutherland - Edinburgh
Thomas & Cooke - Herefordshire, England
Kitto - Devon/Cornwall
Evans/Francis/Richards - Trefeglwys, Cemmaes & Merionethshire
Golba - Poland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Thomson
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi McKenzie,

Have you tried the Argyll  Family History Society or the rag Rag
Just google Argyll fhs and it should come up or have a look at the argyll links board.

marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline KMcKenzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marcie,

Thanks for that. I'll have a look now :)

Keelan
Sutherland - Edinburgh
Kitto - Devon/Cornwall
Golba - Poland

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keelan

Going by her age at death in 1867 of 76 years, this looks like Flora, mother, in 1861, already a widow by the look of it:

Flora Thomson, 70, Late Fisherman's Wife b. Clachan Argyll
Address: Parliament Square, Campeltown

Like you, can't see any births or christenings for the children of Peter and Flora. Children's details may not have been registered or the family could have belonged to a different denomination than the established Church of Scotland, i.e presbyterian. and for this reason not show on the Old Parish Registers.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KMcKenzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Darn it. I was hoping Peter Thomson had died after 1855 so i would be able to find out more about him and his parents. See i have found a possible birth in 1790 to a Neil Thomson and Janet McKerrall but i was never sure.

Do you know where the births would have been registered then, if not in the Established Church of Scotland?

Keelan
Sutherland - Edinburgh
Kitto - Devon/Cornwall
Golba - Poland

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hard to say what denomination the family could have been. They may well have been part of the established Church of Scotland but either chose not to christen the children (it cost money) or the relevant registers have not survived over time. I couldn't see Flora or her siblings' entries to parents Archibald and Ann (Turner) either.

I did check the Roman Catholic register entries on SP just in case, but nothing there either.

It is hard when the records fall away isn't it  :-\

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KMcKenzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Hmm it is very strange. I imagine that Peter was at Sea when the census' were taken then as he doesn't appear in the 1841 or 1851, or the possibilty that he died before 1841.

I have found the births of Flora and her siblings, they are all born in Kilcalmonell & Kilberry and for some of them have been able to find their families not that they had any large families. It's strange but more often that not on the Hamilton side of things, the children either married very late in life, or didn't marry at all.

Hard yes, and very frustrating. I'd hoped there may be records in the Parish church and i could inquire when i visit this year but if there is the likliehood that the reason we can't find any infomation because the records haven't survived then that seems to put my visit to Kilcalmonell & Kilberry into a different light if i am not to find anything. :/ Oh well, where one line ends another begins...hopefully!

Keelan
Sutherland - Edinburgh
Kitto - Devon/Cornwall
Golba - Poland