Author Topic: George HARDEN of Ripley  (Read 2934 times)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
George HARDEN of Ripley
« on: Tuesday 04 January 11 21:55 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for a baptism, and any further information of the ancestry of George HARDEN of Ripley (near Send), Surrey. He died in 1841 (his burial gave him age 57, while the census of that year stated 55). Therefore an approximate date of birth would be 1784. George was an innkeeper, though noted as a gentleman on his daughter's marriage cert. From a search on Google I found the following in an 1807 Gentleman’s Magazine obituary:

"Dec 16, 1807, At Ripley, in Surrey, in her 61st year, Mrs. Harden, wife of Mr. George H. of the Talbot inn."

I’m guessing that this was George’s mother (since both Georges were innkeepers), though I can’t find information in the parish registers (or elsewhere) to confirm this. I am also interested to find her name. Was she buried at Ripley?

For a bit of background information George HARDEN married Louisa Frances HARBROE in 1811 in Ripley. They had four children: George (1811-1814), Elizabeth (1813), Maria Louisa (1815-1864), & Jane (1817-1875). Elizabeth is my ancestor.

Thanks for any help!

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George HARDEN of Ripley
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi

George left a Prerogative Court of Canterbury will

Will of George Harden, Gentleman of Ripley , Surrey
Date 15 November 1841
Catalogue reference PROB 11/1953 

A George Harden was buried in Ripley on 5th March 1809 aged 48 and a Sarah Harden aged 60 on 19th December 1806

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bdmayes

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 16:50 GMT (UK) »
The earliest Harden entry in Ripley baptisms in that of George Harden bapt 15 Oct 1797 (born 20 Sep) son of Stephen and Elizabeth Harden.  The only other George is the one born 1811 and he was buried in 1814.

Brian

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Valda & Brian,

I was aware that George left a will, but haven't got around to getting it yet.

Thank you Valda for those burials. I feel quite confident that George and Sarah were my George's parents, and since as Brian said they don't seem to be in Ripley long before the turn of the century, I have been looking further afield for possible baptisms.

There is a possible George baptised to parents George & Sarah HARDING at Godalming, Surrey in 1785 that could be a possibility. I've only found the details on the IGI so I'm not sure if the original PR might contain more information.

Alexander

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 January 11 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Harden isn't Harding and if the family were literate by the end of the C18th and there is an indication by occupation (and insertions in the Gentleman's Magazine) they were, you might expect the spelling of the surname to have been formed by then.

Regards

Valda

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 January 11 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Valda,

That is exactly what I first thought when I saw the Harding entry.

However there are several reasons why I think it is a good possibility. Other baptisms on the IGI to the same parents are:
Thomas Harding, bap. 15 Nov 1781, Godalming, Surrey
Elizabeth Harding, bap. 29 Feb 1784, Godalming, Surrey
George Harding, bap. 5 Nov 1785, Godalming, Surrey
Maria Harding, bap. 23 Aug 1787, bur. 5 Feb 1796, Godalming, Surrey

A couple reasons why it might be the right George:

1) In Ripley, Surrey, an Elizabeth HARDEN was married to an Edward HARBROE. My George Harden was married to Louisa Frances Harbroe. Edward and Louisa were siblings. I thought that they were probably related, especially since on Elizabeth Harden’s marriage a George Harden was witness. I am thinking that most likely 2 Harbroes siblings married 2 Harden siblings. Elizabeth was born around 1785 according to her burial. The 1784 baptism above fits perfectly.
2) Searching Google, I came across the following in a book: “HARDEN Thomas, b. 1781, eldest s. George Harden, Talbot Inn, Ripley, Surrey, d. WI, 8 Dec. 1806.” It’s not a primary source but it would tie in well with the baptism above. I'm not sure the original source of this information.

What do you think?

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 January 11 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There are several Harbroe PCC wills

Will of Edward Harbroe, Surgeon and Apothecary of Send, Surrey 12 April 1802 PROB 11/1373 
Will of Thomas Harbroe, Gentleman of Send , Surrey 16 April 1799 PROB 11/1322
Will of Edward Harbroe, Surgeon of Send and Ripley , Surrey 27 December 1833 PROB 11/1825 

Talbot Inn

http://www.thetalbotinn.com/

Gentleman's Magazine and historical chronicle
December 8th 1807
In the West Indies after a short illness, aged about 26 Mr Thomas Harden, eldest son of Mr George H of the Talbot Inn Ripley Surrey

What is the possible Harden/Harding connection with Ripley and Cobham?

Regards

Valda

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 January 11 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Valda,

Thanks for the link and information.

I have done quite a bit of research on the Harbroe side - it was much easier than the Hardens simply because Harbroe is so much more uncommon. I have purchased both the wills of the two Edward Harbroes you listed (as well as one other Edward Harbroe, the grandfather). While they were certainly interesting, they didn't add much to my knowledge of the family. One was seven pages long, and only on the first page did it include any names of family members! Thomas Harbroe was an uncle - well half-uncle - of Edward Harbroe (m. Elizabeth Harden), but I haven't seen his will.

I've been looking for a Gentleman's magazine obit for George Harden himself when he died in 1809, but can't seem to find one. Also haven't been able to find a will for him.

Thanks,
Alexander