Author Topic: Unfortunate Surnames  (Read 14503 times)

Offline Marathonman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Unfortunate Surnames
« on: Thursday 06 January 11 02:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

Those of us who have been doing this for more than a year have more than likely at some point had the urge to wander a few graveyards in the hope of finding a family plot with a stone clarifying the info we have.  And I like most have done this a couple of times in Beeston, Arnold and Long Eaton and discovered lost graves and relatives.

Last September after running the New Forest Marathon in Hampshire, a few days later I had organised a day trip with the agreement of my other half. This was to look for the widow of Thomas Sheldon (my Great, Great, Great, Great Uncle), Elizabeth Sheldon and her daughter Elizabeth Margaret who died in Blackawton, Devon in 1883 and 1914 respectively.

During my hunt through the graveyard I came across this memorial and just had to photograph it, sorry but I had to laugh at the unfortunate surname.  I just thought I'd share this with you all.

Regards
Mike
Ran the London Marathon 2011 in 3rs 27mins 28secs for Help for Heroes

Sheldon - Long Eaton-Derbyshire, Beeston, Nottingham, Kent
McRobie - Long Eaton-Derbyshire, Leicester, Monimail-Fife
Kemp - Long Eaton-Derbyshire, Melton Mowbray-Rutland
Turner - Long Eaton-Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire

Offline LH35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Unfortunate Surnames
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 January 11 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mike , I too  walk round Grave yards   not come across that Surname before, I do wonder if its pronounce differant to how its spelt , Like with 
Hyacinth Bucket , (pronounced 'Bouquet')  :)
wiltshire/wilsher,/Hartley/Holmes
Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire/yorkshire/Scotland

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 January 11 18:11 GMT (UK) »
The surname Death is pronounced De'Ath.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 January 11 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello... :)

You come across some interesting finds when you lurk in graveyards......

It is a shame that some of the really old stones have been removed from lots of the ancient graveyards.

When I was looking at some of the books on offer on the Open Library site I came across this one:

http://openlibrary.org/books/OL7004629M/The_churchyard_scribe

It has headstone inscriptions from various places and I was interested as it had some Nottinghamshire mentions.
This one is sad, particularly of someone so young and dying under tragic circumstances....No photographs in the book but I wonder if the stone is still there?

Bulwell Churchyard

"To GEORGE CARROTT, who was accidentally killed at Hucknall Pit, Novr 20th 1875, in the 14th year of his age"

"His life hung by a slender thread,
It was no sooner cut than he was dead;
Death unto him the blow did send,
The fatal accident brought on his end."
  ~ ~ ~

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 January 11 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Clayton churchyard Doncaster (in the next county) under this stone. "A pale consumption struck the final blow; the disease was fatal but the end came slow." He was a cattle farmer who died of TB from his herd in the 1860s, name John Smith, luckily he was well documented.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 January 11 01:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have come across the surname Bastard before and yes of course - it is pronounced differently

B' Stard
Ber' Stard

I later came across an officer in the RAF called B'Stard and that is what we attempted to called him. "Ber'Stard" But he was a mean so and so so he replied - "The name's Bastard and I am one - so watch out!"

I also knew a Warrant Officer Devine who said she was Devine by name and nature and she surely was!

And a Corporal Death - who when he arrived on station informed us it was pronounced De' Ath. (Disappointing Really)

Have you ever noticed how many married women end up with an alliterative name?

Betty Berrisford, Sheila Shouler, Janine Jenkinson, Masie Moscoe - ghastly - keep yer maiden names girls!!

And how about Barry Cade, Lavender Basket and Ben Down

Worse one I ever came across was Hugh Janus

Mog is giggling now!

xxxxxx

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 January 11 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Well I met a family once with the surname Aarsse - understandably they pronounced it air-see.
And my mother knew a family named Hogg - they had two daughters named Ida and Ima.  True!
And another friend of mother was Mrs Chambers and she got so sick of people telling her what to call her unborn baby that, when he was born, she called him Jerry - poor guy.
On the nice names, we have a Laura Lavender Blue in our family and I often wonder if she was as nice as her name sounds   :)
Dawn M.
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 January 11 16:11 GMT (UK) »
I once knew of a person named Hugh Dick, and another whose surname was Towle, named Terry by his mother as she thought it suited him.

Offline liverpool lass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 January 11 20:01 GMT (UK) »
I have a friend whose MS was Jelly and another called Licorice.
Lewis/Morgan - Carmarthenshire
Jones - Denbighshire
McCormack/McLoughlin - Liverpool
McKenzie - Liverpool/Lanarkshire/ Aus/USA/NZ
Ballantyne - Glasgow, Liverpool
Evans - Merionethshire
Turnell - Northamptonshire
Jones - Glamorgan
Wood - Nova Scotia, Mass, USA
Booth - Aus
Francis - Carmarthen
Griffiths - Glamorgan and Llanelli