Author Topic: 12th Regiment of Foot  (Read 1966 times)

Offline qbutterbee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
12th Regiment of Foot
« on: Thursday 06 January 11 08:21 GMT (UK) »
I have come across a death notice for my 4 x great grandfather in South Australia and it states that Matthew Ormsby (1) was a soldier in the 12th Regiment of Foot. Matthew was born in Sligo Ireland and I believe they may have been stationed in Lancashire as I have found a Matthew Ormsby (who may be the father of Matthew Ormsby (1)) in the 1861 English census in Liverpool Lancashire and he was a retired military officer and from Sligo Ireland. Also in the South Australian death notice for Matthew (1) was a statement of "Liverpool Mercury please copy". My 4 x great grandfather was in South Australia in 1853 as he had a son born in that year in Adelaide. I have googled 12th regiment of foot and it points to them being in Victoria for the Eureka Stockade. Looking for information on the Ormsby Family in Sligo and more on the 12th Regiment of Foot??? Was this regiment connected with Sligo????
Thanks Deb Robinson

Moderator Comment: If anybody can help, then please answer on the following topic to avoid duplication of efforts. Thanks :)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,505266.0.html
Cornwall:Moon,Blight,Smith,Stephens,Guy,Thomas,Bennetts,Glasson
Barbary, Parkin, Ripper, Johns, Smitham(n), White
Norfolk:Spurling,Woods, Jessup, Batley, Sharman
Suffolk: Wright
Oxford:Boddington
Ireland: Ormsby, Phibbs,Wynne,Bingham,Hamilton
Scotland:Broadfoot,Hannah,McKenzie
London:Wade,Powell,Elston
Surrey: Hornsby
Yorkshire: Bairstow,Garth
Devon: Richards, Webber, Dunn, Turner