Author Topic: List of living sites?  (Read 1351 times)

Offline Midnight_rambler

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
List of living sites?
« on: Friday 07 January 11 05:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Is there any list of historic caravan (or other gypsy/traveler) living sites out there? Or modern day traveler sites that have been around since the 19th century?

I'm trying to read between the lines on the census records, and find some clues from the addresses. Are there any street/location names in the Milton/Sittingbourne area I should be aware of? (Taynham too...and Finchley, Middlesex.)

I noticed a few well known gypsy sites include "lane" in the title-- is that a pattern or just common in England? (I've a few ancestors located on streets like "Love Lane", "Water Lane," etc.) (Some of them also lived temporarily in a Blacksmiths shop.)

Thank you!

Eliza

Offline smiler007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: List of living sites?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 06:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Midnight Rambler my grandmother was born on East Malling heath and I had an uncle born in St Marys Cray an there was another site in Gillinghams Ash Tree Lane all in Kent. There is a great  thread on this on the KENT HISTORY FORUM good luck mate.   smiler.

Offline Midnight_rambler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 January 11 04:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for that, Smiler. I've tried looking up the thread in the Kent forum, but no luck so far. Do you remember any key words that might help? (Tenting sites, maybe? Or camps?)

Offline smiler007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 January 11 07:23 GMT (UK) »
drop down to   the way we were    then find[onpage2 at the moment]  gypsy camp  ash tree lane gillingham good luck m r   smiler