Author Topic: Chilton Orchard?  (Read 1187 times)

Offline Midnight_rambler

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Chilton Orchard?
« on: Monday 10 January 11 06:13 GMT (UK) »
I'm researching potential Romany ancestry, and in so doing, trying to decipher a few census addresses. In the 1871 census, some of my family is recorded to be living in Chilton Orchard, Sittingbourne... anyone know anything about this location? Is it really an orchard, or the name for a particular area?

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Chilton Orchard?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 January 11 07:12 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't be surprised if it was an orchard.  There is a Chilston Manor Farm in Sittingbourne which still grows fruit.  The Old tithe map schedules of the 1840s are great for listing the names of fields.  Many Kent ones are on the Kent Archaeological Society's website.

http://www.kentarchaeology.org.uk/Research/Maps/Maps%20intro.htm#St Marg

But Sittingbourne isn't included yet.   Be patient it will be there eventually.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 January 11 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Midnight Rambler .
                                  Further to Bear cats info. Chilton Manor was one of the ancient manors of sittingbourne as was Fulston.Cryalls and others .
      As such it  comprised quite a large acreage of land mainly arable or fruit ,so your family could have been camped in any one of a number of orchards in the manor.
      My wife worked on the Chilton Farm that Bear cat refers to for 18 years prior to 1999. It  is  fairly modern farm  founded and run by the Epsley family since the 1960,s ,on land previously owned by the Burley,s  .
     It is run currently as a Pick your own establishment.
      The actual Chilton Manor house is on the left of first  corner of Highsted Road past the Hospital. It appears to have been converted into two dwellings when it was modernised during the 70,s.
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline Midnight_rambler

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 January 11 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your replies! Very helpful. And that's a fantastic link!