Author Topic: Cottinham and Rockingham  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Norfg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cottinham and Rockingham
« on: Monday 10 January 11 18:12 GMT (UK) »
I am anxious to add to my knowledge of Levi Goodman and Rose Hannah (or Roseanna) Goodman (nee Crane).
Levi (1837-1925) and Rose Hannah (1836-1926). They had been children in Cottingham and were married in 1861 at Cottingham Church.  At some point Levi's parents had moved to Rockingham, close by to Cottingham, and a record shows that Levi junior was a pupil at Rockingham National School.  However, Levi must have re-connected with Cottingham and he and Rose Hannah began married life there and their eldest children were born there. Eventually they moved to Rockingham, where the remainder of their children were born.

Farm-labouring appears to be the main occupation for the men and indoor servant work for the women. Is there anything that I could read or research that could add to my understanding of life for lowpaid working people around Cottingham and Rockingham in the second half of the 19th cent and 1st quarter of the 20th?  For eaxmple, is there any record of servants and labourers who might have worked on the Rockingham estate/Rockingham Castle?     Thank you.   Norman Goodman
Families of Goodman brothers (Edward,Joseph,Arthur); emigrated from Rockingham,Northamptonshire to the US, Edward & Joseph in 1900 ;Arthur in 1893. Places include: Ionia in Michigan; various towns in Madison Co.,Wisconsin. Also South Dakota. Later: Greeley in Colorado. Elise or Eliselise (married Arthur) born Wisonsin, daughter of German immigrants (no maidenname as yet).  Edward married Bathsheba/Bessie Cox, daughter of William Cox.  Joseph married Dena Grebner. She was from Wisc.

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
Re: Cottinham and Rockingham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 January 11 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Norman.

It might be an idea to contact Rockingham Castle.

http://www.rockinghamcastle.com/

There are excellent books about the village of Rockingham and Castle.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0b73/

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline Norfg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cottinham and Rockingham
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 06:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi, again.   Great information.  Thanks again.   Norman
Families of Goodman brothers (Edward,Joseph,Arthur); emigrated from Rockingham,Northamptonshire to the US, Edward & Joseph in 1900 ;Arthur in 1893. Places include: Ionia in Michigan; various towns in Madison Co.,Wisconsin. Also South Dakota. Later: Greeley in Colorado. Elise or Eliselise (married Arthur) born Wisonsin, daughter of German immigrants (no maidenname as yet).  Edward married Bathsheba/Bessie Cox, daughter of William Cox.  Joseph married Dena Grebner. She was from Wisc.