Author Topic: Where do I start to search?  (Read 1079 times)

Offline pandora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Where do I start to search?
« on: Monday 10 January 11 23:57 GMT (UK) »
My Dad was in the paratroups during WW2 (6th air borne) where would I star to search for records.

Thanks in anticipation
                 Pandora
Jones.  Kidwelly, Wales
Harries/Harris. Wales
White. Hampshire
Sutton. Kent

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where do I start to search?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 07:16 GMT (UK) »
The records of soldiers serving after 1920 are still classed as private. You have to apply to the MOD. It costs £30 - but free to his widow - and takes 6+ months. You will have to supply a copy of his death certificate if he did not die while serving. You also really need his army number, but they can sometimes do something with just his date of birth. You should also contact their museum in case they can help.

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/army.html

Ken

Offline pandora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the information. My dad died 20yrs age, so I am not likely to be able to find out about his time in the second WW. All I know is that he was in Belguim Germany and Holland, and that he helped to recover soldiers from behind enemy lines. He never spoke very much about his time in the forces, it seemed that he wanted to shut out all memories of it.

Pandora
Jones.  Kidwelly, Wales
Harries/Harris. Wales
White. Hampshire
Sutton. Kent

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 January 11 00:16 GMT (UK) »
If you get his service record as suggested it should give you a bit more detail on units he served with etc. From that you could look at the unit war histories - lots of units had these published after the war. Might include your dads unit; might mention him (though a long shot).

The National Archives at Kew will have the unit war diary - a day by day account 
of the units activities. Not sure if these are available as a download or you might be able to order copies.

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/