Author Topic: COMPLETED Williams St Giles Parish register  (Read 6548 times)

Offline dave56

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COMPLETED Williams St Giles Parish register
« on: Tuesday 11 January 11 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello again. I wonder if someone could help me with tracing the date of a marriage between Peter Williams (b. circa 1821 in St Dogwell's d. circa 1895 in Letterston) and Elizabeth Williams (b.circa 1824in Tenby and d.circa 1873 in Letterston). Also would it be possible to find Elizabeth Williams' maiden name and the parents of  Peter and Elizabeth.
So grateful for any help.

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
Re: Williams St Giles Parish register
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 20:03 GMT (UK) »
The only Peter that I can find in '41 is aged 18 at Green Plain Letterston a carpenters apprentice, unmrd with a Mary Williams a Farm Serv.

It appears to me at present that the only Peter to fit mrd in 1848.

I note no reference to the children baptised at Letterston, a look at Rebecca's birth certificate of 1846 would show Elizabeth's maiden name, this being the best forename to search given all their children shown in the '61.

Likewise I can find no baptism at St Dogwells to equate to Peter circa 1820 to 1825.

I fancy this family is non-conformist, but pre 1837 it should be possible to find Peter's parents mrge one his father is known.

Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL a welsh window on a surname
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline dave56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Williams St Giles Parish register*Completed*
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Dear Orielbenfro,
Diolch yn fawr. :) This has given me a head start now and I have ordered the birth certificate of Rebecca Williams today through the Haverfordwest Local Registry Office. Can't wait to find out the maiden name of Elizabeth Williams.
Your information on the 1841 census about Peter Williams was very helpful as he was a carpenter on the other censuses.
I will have to keep looking for Peter and Elizabeth's marriage.
Thank you so much again for your time interest and help. :) :)
Dave56

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 13:46 GMT (UK) »
I had another look today at Peter & Elizabeth Williams. I started with the ’61 where they reside at Letterston as a Carpenter which you have full details for. They appear in the ’51 without the ‘s’ on the surname, which caused a bit of head scratching for a few minutes, but found them again at Letterston, there oldest daughter is shown as Mary born 1845 ‘ish.

Since the ’41 shows Peter as apprentice carpenter, it also appears to confirm he is not yet mrd, So this indicated he mrd between 1841 and 1845. I double checked both the mrge and baptism registers of Letterston, there is no reference in either to this family.

So I consulted Free BMD which shows a Peter Williams mrd to Elizabeth Smith in 1844 in the H’west registration district which covers chapels in the Letterston area.

I returned to the 1841 census and found an Elizabeth Smith resident at Letterston with siblings and what appears to be her possible mother Anne.

Looking at Tenby circa 1820’s I note there are 3 baptism of an Elizabeth Smith in the area, 2 at Tenby in 1822 and 1 at Lampeter Velfrey. Of the 3 only one has a mother Anne and that is at Tenby ;
20th Feb 1822 Elizabeth to Francis and Ann Smith of the Town a Carpenter by Rev’d W. Hughes baptised.

I had an inkling that Anne in the ’41 may be a widow so a search followed and I found at Lampeter Velfrey the following burial
Francis Smith of Drffryn buried 11 Oct 1826 aged 41 yrs by Wm Morgan.

There is some possible confusion over forename it may be Frances (i.e. female spelling) and not Francis(male spelling) also on the same page I find ;
Joshua Smith of Drffryn buried 14 May 1826 aged 10 months

Joshua of 1826 and Elizabeth of 1821 baptised at Lampeter Velfrey are children of James & Frances  Smith, so this may be a blind alley.

Given that Francis and Ann Smith are the parents of your Elizabeth then when I looked again at Tenby P.R.’s I found
07th Nov 1813 Francis Smith otp a Carpenter and Widower mrd Anne Watkins otp by banns in front of Nich Roch Rector. Francis signed his name and Anne made her mark in the presence of John Watkins and Elizabeth Smith (Elizabeth’s surname may also be read as Sinnett, a surname known in Tenby and part of my own research in the town).

I have relevant jpegs which if you require a copy please forward an off forum email address to me by PM.

I believe that the 1st mrge of Francis may well be when he mrd Margaret Lewis at Tenby in 1803.

So it would appear that Elizabeth Smith mrd into a non-conformist family and since post 1837 mrge was now permitted in Chapel, whereas prior to 1837 it had to be in established church, the only way I can see at present is to obtain the mrge cert of Peter to Elizabeth of 1844, from this you will obtain Peter’s father and from that a relatively easy step for me to find Peter’s parents mrge.

Of course the above only holds good providing you accept my finding, that’s for you to decide.

Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL a welsh window on a surname
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline dave56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Dear Orielbenfro,
This is fantastic research ! Thank you so much ! I had completely failed to find this information !
My off forum e mail address is (*) and would love go have the j. Pegs.
Thank you so much for your time and research skills again
Dave 56

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline gkdjsuwj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED Williams St Giles Parish register
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 September 14 23:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave

I would be grateful if you could contact me about a possible link.

Regards

Wes