Author Topic: Mcsherry  (Read 20421 times)

Offline FMcsherry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mcsherry
« Reply #27 on: Monday 17 January 11 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  I saw that and have written them an email.  Are you saying that with the Tirmacmoe address I have located the place where my ancestors lived or at least received mail to within 93 acres?  Amazing.  I know no easy way to ask this and I am so appreciative of the help I have received from RootsChat, but I am still unsure of the geographic boundaries of towns, parish, etc in relation to the biggest to smallest area., (say Ireland, then next biggest Monoghan (county?), down to the smallest (would  that be Tiermacmoe?).  Also the address in the family bible, Monoghan, district Castleshane Tiermacmoe Would Monoghan refer to the town of the larger area would the largest Monoghan be a county or what would it's name be?  are their 32 counites in Ireland or the equilivant of counties?.   Is Tiermacmoe a civil area or property, private estate or what?

I hate to bother you, but once I understand this, then perhaps I can hire somene familiar with the area to look up all churches in the area that predate 1870 and then have them or someone else to research their records.

As you say,  cheers  :)
Frank

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 17 January 11 15:20 GMT (UK) »
The usual order for Irish land descriptions is townland, (civil) parish, county. See reply #3 on this thread- www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,457812.0.html

Have you read through the section I suggested earlier in this thread? It explains the civil land divisions.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline FMcsherry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 17 January 11 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Yes, but without understanding the terms townland, barony, civil parish, etc. I have no idea.  Not to worry I'll look it up and figure it out without taking more of your time.   One last question to help me get it in my mind.  Is Tiermacmoe inside of Castleshane ( a smaller part of Castleshane) or are they totally seperate areas?

Frank

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 17 January 11 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Within Co Monaghan there are 1851 town lands. So yes you're down to 93 acres in which your lot lived.

A town land can be 1 acre, I've even seen townlands in middle of a bigger field... a town land is often just a field or a few fields.

County is similar to State in US, we've 32 counties, US has 50 states!

Yes, I'm saying that with the Tirmacmoe address you have located the place where your ancestors lived or at least received mail to within 93 acres? You have emailed their local church so all you need to do is wait for reply!

http://www.geograph.org.uk/map/tolJ5oOXXJ0oOXJFoOXXJfolhXJqoOjOJL5405obubXONbl4tjaMwtM   gives you an idea of what a townland looks like, just click on a thumbnail!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline FMcsherry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 17 January 11 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your patience and all you have done.  I will now google all churches in Monoghan and see if I can determine which ones were pre 1870 and then find a way to search their records, where they exist.  From what I have learned here, the Church of Ireland and RC church have centrally located records, but many not prior to 1830.  It apears I have my work cut out for me, but thanks to the kind people at RootsChat, I now have a starting point.

Frank

Offline FMcsherry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 17 January 11 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Irish Religion- Probably an unanswerable question--best opinion please.  If a family were of a particular religion say around 1900.  What would the chance be that their ancestors say of 1825 would be of the same religion.  In Virginia, they often changed within the protestant churches as people were constantly moving to less populated regions.  Many Catholics were forced to change for the same reasons--the less populated areas had fewer churches to choose from.  Is there a feel for the Irish and their religions say 1825 - 1900?

Thank you.

Frank

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 17 January 11 20:04 GMT (UK) »
If a family were of a particular religion say around 1900.  What would the chance be that their ancestors say of 1825 would be of the same religion....98% I'd say.

You're making work for yourself, you know their local church.

If they weren't RC I can name at least 10 possible churches in the area so I wish you luck. Presbyterian/ 1st Presby/2nd Presby kept some records but C of Ireland were also the official record keepers for the churches and so Presbyterian/Methodist etc records could be in C of Ireland....

The Recent death notice;

The death has occurred of Caroline HAUGHEY of Tiermacmoe, Castleshane, Monaghan
 Reposing at her late residence. Removal tomorrow morning, Thursday, at 10.15am for Requiem Mass in St. Mary's Church, Clontibret, at 11am. Burial afterwards in the adjoining cemetery.

shows you the church used by locals, you've emailed them, so why not just wait??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Bhoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 17 January 11 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Irish Religion- Probably an unanswerable question--best opinion please.  If a family were of a particular religion say around 1900.  What would the chance be that their ancestors say of 1825 would be of the same religion.  In Virginia, they often changed within the protestant churches as people were constantly moving to less populated regions.  Many Catholics were forced to change for the same reasons--the less populated areas had fewer churches to choose from.  Is there a feel for the Irish and their religions say 1825 - 1900?

Thank you.

Frank

In terms of whole families changing religion - as opposed to an individual person - whilst it's true that it did happen, not least because of the impact of the Penal Laws, your time period is a bit late for that, i.e. if it were going to have happened then it would most likely have been done before then.  Always a possibility, though.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 17 January 11 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Yes, but without understanding the terms townland, barony, civil parish, etc. I have no idea.  Not to worry I'll look it up and figure it out without taking more of your time.   One last question to help me get it in my mind.  Is Tiermacmoe inside of Castleshane ( a smaller part of Castleshane) or are they totally seperate areas?

Frank

Castleshane and Tirmacmoe are both townlands, and are located next to each other.

To see both townlands on the OSI Maps see : link 
(click the 25" option to see the c1890s map, or the 6" option to see the 1st edition 1820s/1840 maps)

Just to give you an idea of how much that single small townland narrows down the search - the county of Monagahan has a total area of nearly 320,000 acres...

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests