Author Topic: Baptism Lookup  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Wozza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptism Lookup
« on: Wednesday 12 January 11 08:19 GMT (UK) »
G'day Chatters, I'm looking for a baptism record of Edith Susan Saunders, dau. of
Samuel Saunders & Susanna Benn, who was born in1888, reg.at Battle, East Sussex.

I have not been able to trace her to date. She later married George William Isted in 1908.

As usual, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Wozza.

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Can't help regards her baptism, you would need a copy of the parish records for that,
 but here's a record of her birth if you do not have the certificate already.
Births June quarter of 1888  SAUNDERS    Edith Susan         Battle,  GRO REF 2b 62

Note:  Two people on Genes Reunited who have Edith in their family trees, incorrectly give her birth year as 1887. 
I therefore presume their interest is in a sibling not Edith herself, and they have just taken Edith's name from a census.
Roy G

Offline Wozza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 January 11 10:17 GMT (UK) »
I'm showing my age here Roy G, did I thank you for your information? I'd rather thank
you twice than not at all.

Wozza

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 January 11 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Senior moments grab us all from time to time.   So Thanks for thanks
IGI Baptism index gets rather sparse when you get to 1888, so try another line of enquiry via the 'SFHG Members Interests' Website.  Nothing there specifically related to Saunders of Battle, but several for Saunders of East Sussex, Walberton and Dallington.
Look at Sanders as well, spelling was often it bit lax around then

Susanna Benn of Syndastone Norfolk married Samuel Thomas Saunders of Hurstmonceux in the Hailsham district in 1877.  Sam was a labourer and by the pattern of his children's births, moved from farm to farm with some regularity.  The 1881 census enumerator got rather confused over this, but you can deduce Edith had Sussex born siblings Thomas 7, Annie 6 and Alfred 2.  Others may have arrived before the birth of Edith.

I think AN Edith can be found in Ashburnham near Battle in 1891, but the census index makes no mention of the parents.  A Samuel from Hurstmonceux can be found in nearby Bexhill together with Thomas, Annie and Alfred.
The 1901 lists 2 Ediths from Ashburnham, one in Hellingly Sussex,  the other in Hammersmith London.  By then, a Samuel Saunders (b c1852) is back in Ashburnham as are Thomas, Annie and Alfred. If you look at the originals of those two censuses (1891 & 1901) you may find that Sam's daughter Edith preferred to use another name.

Roy G

Offline Wozza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 January 11 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Roy G, again many thanks. I have checked out the 1891 census and have Edith as a
3 year old, the 6th. of seven children. The youngest an unamed male 3 weeks. Her parents were Samuel Saunders, a farmer em'er born in Herstmonceux, and Susannah
Benn, born in Norfolk - Syderstone. Eldest Child ( 18 ) b Herstmonceux, the next three b
in Chalvington, again, one in Herstmonceux and the last two in Ashburnham. I have not
seen the 1901 census.

Wozza

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 January 11 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Small correction
Sam and Susanna(h)'s marriage was 1873 not 1877.
The family also appear on the 1911 census index for Battle, with them is Bertram aged 17 and a 9 month old Daisy Saunders who could be the child of Edward and his wife Sarah (nee Tedham) who Edward married in 1910.
Looks like Samuel died in the Hailsham District in 1936 an Susannah in the Battle District in 1937.
Both were well over 80 so it was a good innings for them (better than your lot recently!)
Roy G

Offline Wozza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 January 11 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Senior moments grab us all from time to time.   So Thanks for thanks
IGI Baptism index gets rather sparse when you get to 1888, so try another line of enquiry via the 'SFHG Members Interests' Website.  Nothing there specifically related to Saunders of Battle, but several for Saunders of East Sussex, Walberton and Dallington.
Look at Sanders as well, spelling was often it bit lax around then

Susanna Benn of Syndastone Norfolk married Samuel Thomas Saunders of Hurstmonceux in the Hailsham district in 1877.  Sam was a labourer and by the pattern of his children's births, moved from farm to farm with some regularity.  The 1881 census enumerator got rather confused over this, but you can deduce Edith had Sussex born siblings Thomas 7, Annie 6 and Alfred 2.  Others may have arrived before the birth of Edith.

I think AN Edith can be found in Ashburnham near Battle in 1891, but the census index makes no mention of the parents.  A Samuel from Hurstmonceux can be found in nearby Bexhill together with Thomas, Annie and Alfred.
The 1901 lists 2 Ediths from Ashburnham, one in Hellingly Sussex,  the other in Hammersmith London.  By then, a Samuel Saunders (b c1852) is back in Ashburnham as are Thomas, Annie and Alfred. If you look at the originals of those two censuses (1891 & 1901) you may find that Sam's daughter Edith preferred to use another name.

Roy G
Yes, Edith, is actually Edith Susan Saunders. She married in 1908.
Regards, Wozza