Author Topic: Marriage in Terrington St Clements  (Read 3773 times)

Offline charley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage in Terrington St Clements
« Reply #9 on: Friday 14 January 11 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, that could be useful if I can tie her up to the marriage as well! Not far away at all as I've just looked it up on the map.I'll drop it into the archives for future use.  I am most grateful for your help.
Charley
Sheffield & Notts - Davies, Spick & McKenzie 
Durham - Peacock & Clemmitt
Llangyfelach, Glam - Davies & John 
Northallerton - Coverdale & Vasey,
Lancashire - Bodger, Silvers, Young, Phibbs

Yorkshire - Bould, Milnes, Hartley, Stanley

Offline tonyb1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 22:24 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of the marriage certificate. January 5th 1840. Marriage solemnized by banns .Father is Joseph Bodger - gardner . Bride is Ann Liley Porter , father John(son?) - farmer .Church isnt mentioned but it is Parish of Walsoken . Married by Edward Bates .Witnesses are Johnson and Mary Porter . Joseph and his wife Jane show up on the page opposite Thomas in the 1841 Census. My interest is in the "Banham"  - perhaps his mother is Jane Banham ( tho I have no record of her - my banhams had some Norfolk roots but were mainly Cambridge .

Tony Banham

Offline charley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 May 11 21:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you Tony for this information.  Thomas Banham Bodger's mother was Jane Banham wife of Joseph Bodger and they had 11 children that I know about!   Was there a Mary Porter aged 38 on the 1841 census for Johnson and Mary Porter as that would then confirm that the two wives of Thomas Bodger were sisters.  I'm almost sure that is the case as she was still a spinster when she married at 38. 
I am most grateful for your help
best wishes, Charley

Offline tonyb1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 May 11 22:38 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately not except that there is a Johnson ( age 40 ) and Mary ( age 35 ) Porter resident in West Walton  , Norfolk in th 1841 census with presumably a son Johnson age 10 . Which might be consistent with Ann Liley in age  . I can find no single Mary Porters in the 1841 Census resident in Norfolk . I see Thomas and Mary in the 1851 Census  - she was born in Lincolnshire . I cant find a birth record for Ann in Lincolnshire .Will continue poking around. Do I recall you have a marriage cert for Mary and Tom ? What does it give for her father ?

Re Jane Banham do you have any family info ??

Tony

Offline tonyb1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 May 11 16:16 BST (UK) »
Charley - strange - I have come across another Thomas Banham Bodger in the baptism records of Terrington St Clements. Date of baptism is 30 Nov 1836 . Father Ephraim , mother Mary. I suppose it could still be the same person - it wasnt totally unknown for someone to be baptised years after birth . But the parents name dont square with your info and I scrutinised fathers name carefully on the marriage certificate I have and it is clearly Joseph ! Any thoughts ? Just coincidence tho Mary and Jane most probably were related if she was Mary Banham ?

Tony

Offline charley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 May 11 23:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your continuing input.  I also came across the second Thomas Banham Bodger.  Mine was baptised in St Peters Wisbeach in 1813.  His father was Joseph and his mother Jane Banham who were married 02 Apl 18.05. I'm a bit handicapped as the computer with all my family history on is sick, and so I do not have the information to hand on Jane Banham at the moment.
Thomas Banham Bodger first married Ann Lily Porter and after her death married Mary Porter - both were spinsters but Mary was 10 years the elder.  Mary's father was John Porter, a farmer. 
Were the Johnson Porter and Mary Porter on the 1841 census married or brother and sister?  The age would be about right for her.
I will come back to you in due course.
Thanks again
Charley