Author Topic: ABBOTTS & MOWERS  (Read 6422 times)

Offline Dai_B

• RootsChat Extra
  • A retired Brit liiving in the USA
    • View Profile
ABBOTTS & MOWERS
« on: Thursday 13 January 11 17:14 GMT (UK) »
My great great great gandfather was James Abbott 1825 - 1896 of Burstall and my grand mothers name was  Sarah birn in Elmsett
I have two conflicting maiden names for Sarah (Moore and Mower). I am having  difficulty finding any marriage record for James Abbott. in sone census records he is transcribed as Ebbol but that name yields no marriage data in Ancestory.com

Mower makes more sense as I know they came from Elmsett and after my father died  during WW2 my mother  moved back with us  to my Grandparents in Burstall and our house in Ipswich was rented to two elderly ladies called Mower. I remember my mother treating these two ladies mose as distant relatives than tenants.

Before I commit to Sarah Mower I would feel more comfortable if I could find some citation on the marriage

Any ideas

Dai
Suffolk - especially the area surrounding Burstall
Kent - Hythe Folkestone area

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Abbotts and Mowers
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 January 11 17:23 GMT (UK) »
The birth cert of a child of the marriage (I would suggest whichever is your direct ancestor) will give the mothers maiden name.
Then you can be sure you are following the right line
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dai_B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 January 11 17:48 GMT (UK) »
The birth cert of a child of the marriage (I would suggest whichever is your direct ancestor) will give the mothers maiden name.
Then you can be sure you are following the right line
[/quote

Thank you for your prompt response.
I might have to do that. I am here in Wisconsin US and it costs me $48 from Ancestry to get a cert and takes  28 days. 16 days delivery doubles the cost. I have spent a lot of money over the past year with Ancestry ordering documents and as I recently discovered this site  and have found it helpful I thought I would give it a try as someone might know the family.

Thanks again for responding

Dai

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 January 11 17:50 GMT (UK) »
It should be a lot cheaper if you order direct from the GRO

I think www.gro.gov.uk
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dai_B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 January 11 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks -  They cut the  cost by 50% so I ordered. The good news is that they are also faster and will have it here in 8 working days from order. It goes out next day. The bad news is they do not provide an e-mail service like Ancestry does. They have a notice that says The GRO is forbidden by law to send certificates electronically either by e-mail or Fax. However they still beat Ancestry by 2 weeks using standard service,

Thanks for the tip.

Dai

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 January 11 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if you can remember that far back bor, but if you say Moore and Mower out loud, with an accent local to the Hadleigh area, they both sound the same.

Nearest village on the Suffolk Dialect Map test site at the moment is Holton St Mary

http://www.suffolkdialect.co.uk/maptest.html

Pat ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Dai_B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 January 11 02:23 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if you can remember that far back bor, but if you say Moore and Mower out loud, with an accent local to the Hadleigh area, they both sound the same.

Nearest village on the Suffolk Dialect Map test site at the moment is Holton St Mary

http://www.suffolkdialect.co.uk/maptest.html

Pat ...

That is a great site Pat - I have been looking for some examples to tell my grandchildren how they should be talking instead of the Mid Western drawl they all have. Amazingly I still have some Suffolk left in my Mid Atlantic accent. The "oi" refuses to go away along with "dooen" instead of doing and the occasional "baint" slips out. At least I retain enough of my English/Suffolk that when I was down in Mexico working I was told I spoke Spanish with a distinct British accent and so was not classified as a Gringo.
Dave

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 February 11 13:59 GMT (UK) »

Dai,

I've got MOWERs from Hintlesham in my tree, and have looked at Elmsett and Burstall as part of my searching.  Looking at the PR's for the villages it seems MOORE/MOWER were used interchangeably.

I don't have my records to hand, but if you've confirmed your MOORE/MOWER issue let me know and I'll dig out my file on the family.

Best wishes,

Nick

Offline Dai_B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: ABBOTTS & MOWERS
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 February 11 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the note Nick - I did resolve my issue with the spelling. I obtailed the birth certificate of Mary Anne Abbot, my great grandmother whose mothers maiden name was in dispute. The birth certificate lists her maiden name as Mower. You are right in that the two names seem to have been used interchangeably. Sarah Mower  signed the birth certificate with an "X" her mark so was obviously illiterate and I think the old parish clerks just wrote what they heard and as Pat said in her post the two words would have been indistinquishable in the Suffolk dialect.

Dai