Author Topic: Can't find a birth!!  (Read 1670 times)

Offline mantanmark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Can't find a birth!!
« on: Friday 15 April 05 22:08 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find a birth for Elizabeth Spilsbury born in Ettingshall, c.1872 but can't find her,
Any ideas????
I currently have no further information apart from finding her on the 1901 census aged 29 and married. I've ordered the marriage certificate to see if that gives me any more info.
Not alot i know, but calling on others expriences and expertise!!

Thanks

Samantha

Offline Bryt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find a birth!!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 April 05 10:28 BST (UK) »
From the IGI:

Lizzie <Spilsbury> 
  Female     

~~~~~~~~
Event(s):
 Birth: 
 Christening:  09 NOV 1873   Stafford, Stafford, England

Death: 
 Burial: 

~~~~~~~~
Parents:
  Father:  George Spilsbury  Family
  Mother:  Hannah     

~~~~~~~~
 Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date. 

~~~~~~~~
Source Information:
 Batch No.:  Dates:  Source Call No.:  Type:  Printout Call No.:  Type: 

C135556                                                                                     Film 

RIP August 2006  Sharp.. Colclough.. Allen.. Leach.. Bromley.. Rawlinson.. Ridgway.. Locker.. Pott.. Burton.. Hartshorne.. Renshaw.. Steele.. Wattison.. Dawes.. Spode.. Hurlstone or Earlstone.. Hill or Warren Hill.. Adams.. Poole.. Wheat.. Griffin.. Machin.. Jones.. Worsdale.. Baggott.. Plant.. Bennett.. Mansfield.. Challinor.. Lear.. Loud.. Passmore(Sedgley).. Bradley(Lower Gornall/Northumberland)..

All Stoke on Trent unless stated otherwise.

Offline mantanmark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 April 05 20:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you soooo much!! Now going to look at the births again, and with the names of the parents can look at other posts!!

Thanks again, people on this site are so helpful and friendly

Samantha

Offline mantanmark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 15:25 BST (UK) »
Still stuck, recieved the marriage certificate which gives her father as Matthew Spilsbury.
Gives her age in December 1888 as 18.
On her son's birth certificate it gives her birth place as Ettingshall, i've found a Elizabeth Spilsbury on the staffsbmd but born in Leek, do you think this could be her??

Please help!!

Samantha

Offline ndedross

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I can't see a Matthew Spilsbury on the 1871, 1881 or 1891 Census - or in the IGI. This rather suggests that she either created the name (because she didn't know her father) or that Matthew was the name of the person that lived with her mother.

People quite often gave the name of the place they remember growing up in as their place of birth. So, Ettenshall might be accurate and might not. If she was from there, this site has some useful, though not specific information - www.http://www.sedgleymanor.com/

I think the birth in Leek you found is also in the IGI - and the father does not match. That family is still in Leek in 1881. If this was your Elizabeth, then she would put Leek as her place of birth on her Marriage Certificate, most likely.

She might not have a birth certificate. But may have a baptism record in C of E or Non-Conformist.

Sorry I can't help,

Nigel
Dedross. Gallaway. Starling. Singleton. Atkins. Burkinshaw. Chippendale. Shacklock. Lightfoot. Fisher. London. Middlesex. Yorkshire. Switzerland.