Author Topic: Ann Fraser of Inverness married Robert Munro of Jamaica  (Read 3888 times)

Offline maryvb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann Fraser of Inverness married Robert Munro of Jamaica
« on: Monday 17 January 11 01:55 GMT (UK) »
Ann(e) Fraser b 1802 in Inverness, married Robert Munro 12 Mar 1822 in Urquhart and Logie Wester, Ross and Cromarty. He was apparently from Jamaica. I am told they "had issue" but she must have died around 1830 as her parents named a younger sister Ann in 1830. I am interested in any info on Robert Munro and the children if they survived.
Source: Major Alpin's Ancestors and Descendents, Aberdeen 1906 (?)

I am trying go track down all the descendents of her parents, John Fraser (abt 1771-1860) and Helen Grant (1783-1842.

Any assistance gratefully accepted.

VanBuskirk;Woods(Hants,Devon);White(Hants,London);Fitch(Essex);Snodgrass

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Fraser of Inverness married Robert Munro of Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 January 11 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

From the IGI, I get the following for John Fraser and Helen Grants family, all extracted records:-

ANNE FRASER - Christening 22 AUG 1802 Inverness
DONALD FRASER - Christening 02 APR 1804 Inverness
HELEN FRASER - Christening 04 SEP 1807 Inverness
PETER JAMES FRASER - Christening 11 APR 1809 Inverness
MARJORY FRASER - Birth 05 FEB 1815 Christening 25 FEB 1815 Inverness

Cannot find the "second" Anne, have you got record of that?

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 January 11 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Agree with last poster that you need to get good proof for second daughter Ann.  If Helen was born in 1783, early 1800s births make sense.  If she had a daughter in 1830 it would mean she was 56 or 57 years old... not impossible, but quite unlikely.

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline maryvb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 January 11 01:06 GMT (UK) »
In fact there were a lot of children of the marriage, although a great many diedf young. These are listed in a booklet entitled The Ancestors and Descendents of Alpin Grant privately published in Aberdeen in 1905. Later children are not in the christening record, but there were at least John 1818, May 1819, William abt 1821, Mary 1823, Donald 1825-1825, Jane Elizabeth 1827-1914, Anne abt 1830 and Isabella abt 1831. Some of these children appear in the census records. As John Fraser was an agent of the Bank of Scotland, I am guessing that he moved around from time to time and that the later children were born in some jurisdiction whose records have been lost or are not indexed.

Helen Grant would have been 47 when the second Anne was born, old enough but not out of the question. I have traced descendents of Mary and Jane and we are all confident of the line from John Fraser and Helen Grant. They also had two Johns, two Donalds, and two Helens, so naming a child for a dead sibling was something they clearly did.

The first Ann apparently had a child (or perhaps children) but I would like to know what happened to him/her/them -- died in infancy? grew up and married? As Ann married in 1822 and presumably died just before 1830 (my reasoning -- if she had died before 1827, the parents would have named the next daughter Ann instead of Jane Elizabeth), she could well have had several children. The booklet above merely states "had issue". So far the booklet has been pretty accurate, and it is annotated in the handwriting of my father's aunt so if there were errors that she was aware of, she would have noted them.

Thanks for your help.

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 January 11 01:54 GMT (UK) »
Oops!  Sorry about my poor subtraction.  If you have them on censuses that is pretty good evidence.

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 January 11 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi maryvb,

That is good that you have this privately published book with all this info, the family seems to have stopped registering their children about 1815. Does your book give any reason for that? Did they join another religious sect etc?

Had an attempt at finding them on census of 1841 and 1851 but unsuccessful. Good luck on your further quest.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline maryvb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 January 11 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom
Nothing about "registering" children in the booklet, but my understanding is that registering children in Scotland didn't become law until much later. In the early part of the century it was done by baptising your children, and then the churches (and later on the database producers like the Mormons and Ancestry and others) amalgamated them. So if you moved in 1816 from one district to another, changed churches, and the new church records were lost in a fire, then -- too bad.

There are other children missing too -- children before 1815. My guess is that if a child lived only a day or two, it didn't get baptised and hence didn't get into the register. Or if maybe the mother went home to have her baby near her own mother, and then had it baptised there, and that record got lost....  I think the options are endless.

I have other families in Scotland and elsewhere where some children appear in the baptismal record and some don't.

If it were all too easy it wouldn't be fun, would it  :-)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 January 11 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary

Is this the 1841 census you have:

John Fraser 70, farmer
Helen Fraser 55
Helen Fraser 20
May Fraser 15
Isabel Fraser 14
Ann Fraser 13
Margaret Fraser 22
William Fraser 65
Isabel Maclennan 20, servant
Janet Mclean 20 servant
Alexr Provost 15 servant
Colin Provost 10 servant
John Campbell 9 servant

Address: Muirtown, Kilmuir Easter, R & C

Ages in the 1841 census were supposed to be rounded down for everyone over 15 to the nearest 5 years and no relationships within the household given for this census.

Everyone above is showing as born within the county. Ages for some of the children show a few years out from what you have, e.g. Ann born c. 1827-8.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 January 11 16:16 GMT (UK) »
This will be of interest to you Mary, from Google Books (I've shortened the link):   

www.rootschat.com/links/0bhk/

Looks to have been a long protacted legal affair between John Fraser and the executors of Robert Munro. Both Robert and Ann look to have died, together with a child from the marriage....

Also various references to John Fraser and possible bankruptcy proceedings around 1814 period.  Further google book reference here www.rootschat.com/links/0bhl/

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk