Author Topic: william tateson:marriage witness, grimsby  (Read 6532 times)

Offline williams-taylor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
william tateson:marriage witness, grimsby
« on: Monday 17 January 11 21:25 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for anything on William Tateson who was witness to a marriage between John Williams and Elizabeth Harrison on May4 1812 at St James Grimsby. He may have been a mariner possibly a master. He may be from the East Riding/Humber area rather than Grimsby.....guessing a birth about 1780-90? He may have been a relative........brother in law, cousin, uncle? There are Tatesons in Market Rasen.

I have found a William Tateson Master of a sloop listed in the Goole Shipping Register for 1836..........and a William Tateson lockkeeper at Rotherham in the 1851 census aged 52. He is too young to be the witness..............It is possible the lockkeeper is the same man as the master in which case that eliminates him too.
Can anyone help W-T

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: william tateson:marriage witness, grimsby
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There are an awful lot of "maybe's" in your request. 

With no other info apart from his name on a marriage cert - how would you know which was the right William Tateson if one was found?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline williams-taylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Indeed! Look at my other thread..Tennyson-Williams mystery. Much hinges on finding out about John Williams who has no traceble birth or death record though traditionally he was lost at sea , rumoured off Indonesia in 1824..though how one verifies this ?
There are few William Tateson's to be found of a suitable date. There is in the Goole shipping records a William Tateson, master and co owner of the Princess Elizabeth registered in 1836......................may or may not be the correct one? There is a good chance that William Tateson, witness, was a mariner with John.........even a relative?
So if anyone out there has information on a William Tateson, probably a mariner who could have been in Grimsby in 1812 please get in touch. Tateson is mainly a northern name......but we are investigating the possibility John may have come to Grimbsy via the sea feom Devon/Cornwall.......so a Tateson from there would add some credence to this. The Tennysons are Humberside/Lincs............so likely John is from this area(illegitimately?) as well...........info on his witness might be very helpful in what is a massive and global quest!!!
So if you can help with William Tateson, witness at John's wedding...great!
Best wishes W-T

Offline Big Willi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 June 11 02:14 BST (UK) »
My GGG Grandfather is John (Tennyson) Williams.  I have researched his genealogy for many years now as did my Grandfather and G Grandfather before.  With all the research, I have still not uncovered the mystery of who John Williams is.  However, it was passed down through my family from Trever Tennyson Williams (son of John Williams), that John Williams was originally a Tennyson and related (distantly) to Alfred Lord.  Believing that, I now have to somehow prove it.  You speak as if you may be as far along as I am.

Most that are researching John Williams think that the witness name on the marriage license is William Jut(e)son.  Looking at the license, it is difficult to tell, but I am certain that the second witness is Sarah Wood.  I hope this information helps you a bit.  I will look forward to your response.

Offline williams-taylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 June 11 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi! I descend from Thomas Tennyson Williams..brother of Trevor and so John is also my GGG grandfather. Looking at the hand writing on the marriage entry in the register the name is definitely Tateson..it has been wrongly transcribed as Juteson.......
I am in touch with other Trevors descendants in USA.......as well as descendants of Rachel, and Mary Ann.
We are still not able to prove who John was. Anther descendant from Thomas through his son Henry(Also my line) tells me her aunt talked of scandal and bigamy and all hushed up and not talked about and some Tennyson connection. The question is whose bigamy? Did a Tennyson make an unsuitable marriage which was ignored by his family and he then married someone else. This was to happen to Margaret Tennyson William who slipped off to London with Brandstorms son...only to be brought back and both she and young Brandstorm were married to other people 4 years later.
Did Solicitor George Tennyson father a child before he married Mary Turner?
Did his son George Clayton Tennyson make an unwise liaison while at College....he had a letter from his father warning him about this.......or even earlier. Just why did his father consider him unsuitable to inherit and favour his younger brother, packing George off into the church? He would have to have been a young teenager to have been our John's father given they were both producing children at the same time.
Why was Aunt Elizabeth Tennyson living as a companion at Maim head House in Devon....? Had she been banished?
Rachel Tennyson Williams married in Hedon......where Michael Tennyson father of George Tennyson lived..........is this a coincidence?
So many questions and no answers! Good to be in touch
At some point I shall go to the Rotherham archives to look into William Tateson ...........
Do you want access to my family tree? Best wishes Diane Taylor(nee Williams)

Offline Big Willi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 June 11 03:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that correction on William Tateson.  I will research his name now.  I have also been in touch with other descendants of Trever (his name was spelled this way in original documents) and others.

I have many stories of this family, but one of the best is my Grandfather telling me that when he was eleven years old in 1900, his father Charles hired a lawyer in Iowa and sent him to England, with all of the original Trever Williams papers proving the Tennyson heritage, to claim a Tennyson estate thought to be unclaimed.  The lawyer never returned from England, the lawyer's family disappeared 6 months later, and my G Grandfather never spoke of the issue again.

You having mentioned there being bigamy involved fits perfectly with my theory.  John Tennison (b. 1784) of Preston by Hedon married Ann Foster in 1802 and then disappeared from history.  John Tennison was related to Alfred Lord Tennyson through his GG Grandfather Michael Tennison (b. 1663 in Keyingham, Yorkshire).  My Grandfather wrote that John (Tennyson) Williams was thought to have married a commoner and disowned by his family.  It fits that John Williams was an educated man, being that he was the only one on the marriage certificate that could sign his name.

I would very much like access to Thomas' family tree (all I know of Thomas is his wife Mary and one son John who was married twice), and I would also prefer to communicate out of the public view, but don't know how this would be done.  Please advise, and thank you for your response.
Tom Williams

Offline williams-taylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 June 11 23:40 BST (UK) »
I have sent you a personal message...have you got this?

Offline Susan S

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 07:44 BST (UK) »
I am descended from Hariett Tennyson Williams who married Joseph Shepherd.

I too have been researching the family for a number of years as my uncle told me about the family rumour. I thought that the Hedon Tennysons were likely. Also have looked online to try and find shipping records to no avail.

This is my first go at RootsChat after seeing your posts so thought I'd broadcast the fact that I too am looking.

Offline Mensor38

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 07:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Susan,

Like you, I'm descended from Harriett TW and, if I'm not mistaken, we have corresponded before.

Could you confirm this, please.

Michael
Lincolnshire,  Christian, Dent, Green, Harrison, Priest, Shepherd, Williams,