Author Topic: Where in Oxfordshire was this chap born?  (Read 8779 times)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Where in Oxfordshire was this chap born?
« Reply #72 on: Friday 21 January 11 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Easy to understand how they got missed off if they were permanently on the boats. If they moved between the census form being delivered and it being collected they wouldn't get enumerated.

It's a bit like travellers living in caravans,they are often missing too.

I think you are going to have to get some of these certs to verify all that we've found for you  ;)

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Friday 21 January 11 14:25 GMT (UK) »
What I can't understand is that this is my third day of searching drawing on all the experience I have and trying to think outside the box..but there is nothing concrete to take this forward.
No-one else other than you that I can find on Ancestry... have George and his family in their tree with the details that we have which I find really odd ???
This family cannot be located with any confidence after 1881...I can only find one reason for this and that is a name change.
You can expect one or two of the family to be away from home on various censuses..either visiting or at sea/military..but their wives still should be at home.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline taskannclarke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Friday 21 January 11 15:09 GMT (UK) »
i found one other person that had sarah emma humpris first 2 names round wrong way married to walter webb did mesage him but he didnt know too much more

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Friday 21 January 11 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Mmmm...I wonder why ???...I also saw that and tried to find her in 1911 under Sarah Webb and Emma Webb but without success.
As Carol said...sending for Certificates is your best option.

It's strange that Walter junior can't be found though as his occupation at entry into the Army was given as a Miner.

Carol...All Webbed out... :-\ ;D ;D ;D ;D
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline taskannclarke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Friday 21 January 11 16:18 GMT (UK) »
thanks everyone for your help you have truley been marvellous x x
 annie

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Friday 21 January 11 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Edith Ellen Webb b. 1894 Ewnsham..Oxon is a servant at Westling House near Aylesbury in 1911.
I think this is your Edith.
Carol

Offline JYD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Friday 21 January 11 20:39 GMT (UK) »
I forwarded the information on boat owners George Webb etc. and I believe it was taken from the Canal Boat Inspection Registers. After the introduction of the Canal Boats Act, all canal boats had to be registered with the local authority, e.g. Banbury, and spot checks were carried out to ensure conditions were adequate for those living and working aboard. During the 19th century there was considerable public concern about health and education issues regarding the canal families, especially the children.

This a useful link for people researching canal families and provides more info on the registers, as well as other sources:
http://www.canalmuseum.org.uk/collection/family-history.htm

Re: the Skinners and Humphries. These are both well known boatmen' families on the Oxford canal and  partial family trees have been published in Mary Prior's book, "Fisher Row". Unfortunately, the name Webb is not mentioned in this book, other than a Mr. H. L. Webb, who contributed his recollections of growing up in Fisher Row. His letter was dated 1977, and refers to 6 Fisher Row. I don't know if he had any connection to Webbs working on the canal in earlier years.

I'll look around in my notes to see what I can dig up.

Offline taskannclarke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Friday 21 January 11 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou so very much the information you provided was fantastic and proved a few things to me im hoping to find out as much as i possibly can would be nice to know how they lived etc