Author Topic: Duggan family from Cork  (Read 2138 times)

Offline heslop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Heslop Crest
    • View Profile
Duggan family from Cork
« on: Wednesday 19 January 11 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Seeking information on Mary Duggan b.1890 in Cork. Suspect she was working in London as a domestic in 1911. Also her sister, Margaret , who remained in Ireland and I believe married a Cronin. They had two brothers, Jack, who went to Halifax, Nova Scotia after WW1 and Daniel, who may of been involved with the 1916 rebellion. I have knowledge of two other sisters, Christina, who married John Buckley and were living in Brighton during WW2; Hannah, my grandmother, married Stephen Mitchell in St patrick's , Cork in 1910. This family went ti India after WW1 and lived there until 1928.
Would like further information for my research. Ron H.
Heslops from N.Yorks. Co.Durham. Northumberland.    Briddicks from Co. Durham. Cleverley / Mitchell from E.Sussex. Duggans from Cork. McSorleys from 'Derry.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Duggan family from Cork
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 18:03 GMT (UK) »
do you have any other details on your Duggan family ?

which part of Co. Cork did they live, a father's name etc..

There are a few possible matches for Mary's birth on the BMD Index, and you might be able to narrow down the possible matches with some more details. I would also allow a year or two (at least) either way for her year of birth if you are basing this on her age on a census return or death cert - as these can be slightly inaccurate.

A marriage cert for one of the children would give you father's name and occupation which should help confirm or rule out any possible birth matches... and also might help locate the Duggan family at  home at the time of the 1901 census.

This looks like a match for the marriage of Stephen and Hannah. You can use these references to order a cert from the GRO which will show further details :

Name: Stephen Mitchell
 Registration district: Cork
 Event type: Marriage
 Quarter and year: Oct - Dec 1910
 Volume : 5 / Page : 79

Name: Hannah Duggan
 [same index references as Stephen]

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline heslop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Heslop Crest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 January 11 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane, I hold a Marriage certificate for Stephen & Hannah (My maternal grandparents). This gives the father to be John Duggan - family rumour has it that he was drowned in Cork harbour (No dates). I do no he was widowed and was left with a family of six to bring up!
Any thing further would help. Best Wishes Ron H.
Heslops from N.Yorks. Co.Durham. Northumberland.    Briddicks from Co. Durham. Cleverley / Mitchell from E.Sussex. Duggans from Cork. McSorleys from 'Derry.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 January 11 10:16 GMT (UK) »
does the marriage cert give an occupation for John ?

there are a number of John Duggan listings on the 1901 census for Cork, and his occupation might help narrow down the correct entry...

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline heslop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Heslop Crest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 January 11 09:45 GMT (UK) »
John Duggan is shown as a labourer (deceased) but I understood he could of been a fisherman or invilved on th boats..