Author Topic: Albury Parish Records, Lookup please Completed  (Read 5391 times)

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Albury Parish Records, Lookup please Completed
« on: Wednesday 19 January 11 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have access to transcriptions or cd of Albury Parish records? I am trying to sort out the family of Christopher Robinson,D.D  Rector at Albury from about 1759 until his death in 1802. From IGI, I have that Christopher Robinson and Elizabeth had 8 children from 1766 until 1775. My problem is that there are another 6 children baptised with a father Christopher Robinson and mother Ann from 1779 until 1787.
   As a result of Google searches I am getting mixed information , one states that Christopher Robinson had 9 children, another, a Historical reference to the Church at Albury, states that the rector Christopher Robinson had 13 chioldren, and yet another, an extract from Gentlemans Magazine had an obituary  for " 1821 July 29 in Duke St Portland Place, Ann aged 67 relict of Late Rev Christopher Robinson D.D of Albury Oxfords.
     When looking at the names of the children,  Christopher and Thomas occur in each group of baptisms. I know that the Christopher bap 27 Jul 1766 was very much still alive when the second Christopher was baptised 18 Jul 1779. He studied at Oxford and went on to be Sir Christopher Robinson, Privy Councillor.
     I think that they are two differnt families, but to solve the problem I need to establish:
       1.  The death of the Rector's wife Elizabeth Robinson. Was it between 1775 and 1778 ?
       2. Is there a marriage for Christopher Robinson and Ann about 1779 and does it show his occupation.
      3.  Do any of the Baptisms give the mothers surname, or the fathers occupation
       Any help would be very much appreciated
wyanga

Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
Re: Albury Parish Records, Lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
Just having a look for you and finding it hard but I found the following
which I think answers half of a question

Christopher Robinson christened 27th July 1766 at Albury
parents Chris and Elizabeth
Thomas Robinson c 14th October 1767 at Albury
parents Chris and Elizabeth

I will continue searching as I did find a Chris Robinson christened
1779 but the parents are Chris and Ann on that one

It doesnt state the profession as I dont think they put it on in
the 1700's?

One thing to add I did find CR on the net and the information about him
having 13 children could probably be true as the one I read says it is from Parish records. Also it wasnt unusual to have 13 children in those days as many of them would not live beyond 5 and they generally would name new children with the same name.

regards Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Sandymc47
   Hi Sandymc,
                       Thank you for getting on to it for me. The interesting think will be if there is a marriage for Chris. and Ann about 1788/89.
             I appreciate what you are saying about renaming children after one had died, but the Christopher christened 27 July 1766 didn't die. From IGI the children are:
  Christopher and Elizabeth                              Christopher and Ann
    27 Jul 1766 Christopher                                 18 Jul 1779  Christopher
    14 Oct 1767  Thomas                                      7 Jan 1781  George
    14 Apr 1769 Elizabeth                                     4 Aug 1782 Eleanor
    23 Oct 1770  John                                          20 Sep 1784 Ann
    29 Aug 1771  Charles                                     23 Oct 1785 Samuel
     6 Jan 1773   James                                         13 Jun 1787 Thomas
     27 Apr 1774 Henry
     22 Aug 1775 Harriet
  Christ. and Elizabeth also had another son Robert Bertie Broughton b about 1764. I have been unable to find his baptism on IGI but he is listed in the Oxford Alumni, as is Christopher.
wyanga

England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 

Offline allisont

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 18:10 GMT (UK) »
From Oxford FHS Parish registers CD - Albury

Marriage by Licence
4/7/1763 Robinson, Christopher DD, Rector/Elizabeth Bailey - Haseley
witnesses Sarah Warner, Sarah Stone

13/7/1778  Robinson, Christopher/Ann Stone - Haseley
witnesses Drusilla Stone, John Hawes

Burial
13/6/1777 Robinson, Elizabeth w Chrs

Baptisms

As above except some a couple of dates differ (not the year)
1779 you have Christopher, CD says William

There is also 27/8/1764 Robert Bertie Broughton s Chrs, rector and Elizabeth
Please note: All Census look ups are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bucks - Blackman, Elstone, Poole, Rodwell, Bates, Redhead, Lane
Berks - Clark, Redhead
Glos - Kitchener, Higgins
Oxon/London - Burchill, Holiday
Yorks - Crowcroft, Lazenby, Mudd, Jackson, Kiteley

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Well done Alison for finding the marriage.  I know its not my post but
I have looked for hours on my sites and not found it. Lovely to see it
regard Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Allisont,
             Thank you for finding the information for Elizabeth' s marriage and death also Robert Bertie Broughton's baptism. They are all information that I did not have.
            It does appear as if it is possible that the second marriage to Ann Stone may be the same Christopher,
although it does not say ' rector".  Elizabeth had died and the witness's of both marriages involve the Stone family.  The christening for William instead of Christopher  removes my chief argument against it being the Rector's second marriage. There are two Thomas but I don't know if the first one had survived or not.
   This is a quote from an autobiographical note on Sir Christopher, the son born 1766.

Robinson, Sir Christopher (1766–1833), judge, was one of nine children of Dr Christopher Robinson (1718–1802), rector of Albury, Oxfordshire, and Wytham, Berkshire. He matriculated at University College, Oxford, on 16 December 1782,

You will see my dilema, It clearly says "one of nine children"
 Many thanks for your help I am in Australia, so am unable to look these up myself

Wyanga

Offline allisont

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Robinson Burials

9/12/1768 Thomas
25/4/1785 Ann
30/1/1802 Mr Chrs D.D

That would explain 2 x Thomas
Please note: All Census look ups are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bucks - Blackman, Elstone, Poole, Rodwell, Bates, Redhead, Lane
Berks - Clark, Redhead
Glos - Kitchener, Higgins
Oxon/London - Burchill, Holiday
Yorks - Crowcroft, Lazenby, Mudd, Jackson, Kiteley

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Allisont
             Brilliant thank you Allisont. That certainly has eliminated the first Thomas.

I have another query now. Would there be a will for Christopher Robinson D.D died  or at least buried
30/1/1802 ?
     Excuse my ignorance but where is Haseley ?  Given above in the marriages. I take it that both Elizabeth Bailey and Ann Stone came from Haseley, -- or is it where the marriage was recorded. ???

Christopher's origin is a bit of a mystery, the only reference that I have is from Oxford Alumni which gives his father as " Robert, gent, Monk Frystone, Yorks. '
      I have another post on West Riding board but hav't received any responses regarding that.
  Wyanga

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 January 11 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Allisont
  I think that that buriel for Mr Chrs D.D. 30/1/1802

possibly should be 30/12/1802.   I have a death date of  16 Dec 1802.
 Still seems a big variation but may have been another very cold Winter there ?
 Wyanga