Author Topic: Jane/Jean Dickson of Haddington  (Read 3622 times)

Offline lisingreece

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Jane/Jean Dickson of Haddington
« on: Friday 21 January 11 14:15 GMT (UK) »

I have joined an older post with this request for info on Jane Dickson who married in 1834 Charles Gillam and moved and had children in London.

I have her born abt 1811 in Haddington.

Thanks

Lis
Bailey, Stickells,  Marshall,  Hope, Morris, Wratten, Hope,  Knowler, Lonkhurst,  Gower,  Ratcliffe, Newport,  Boulden,  Stokes,  Beverley, Law, Lushington,  Parham,  Thorpe,  Piddleden,  Swaffer, Wide, Wood,  Austen, Eastes,  Hulke,  Banes, Hadley, Denne, Mullet, Dove, Mackney,all in Kent

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Jane/Jean Dickson of Haddington
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 January 11 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lis,

I understand that the banns of Jane and Charles' marriage were read in both Dirleton and Cramond parishes. The Dirleton banns in particular show Jane's name to be Jane Bruce Dickson.

This would correspond with a death for a Jane Bruce Gillam (ne้ Dickson) who died in Gullane in 1885, aged 70 years. Parents are given as William Dickson, groom (deceased) and Christina Dickson m.s. [maiden surname] Aitken (also deceased). Death was registered by son, Alexander Gilliam.

Could your Jane have moved back to Scotland after a time in London? I can't easily find her on the 1861 census just now.

I found this marriage, which would suit. Jean/Jane shows a c. 1816 in North Berwick on the 1851 census:

William Dickson and Christian Aitken, 27th October 1808 North Berwick

hume :)

Offline lisingreece

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Jane/Jean Dickson of Haddington
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 January 11 06:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Hume, no I made a mistake , her daughter Anne Gillam Dickson moved to London, what her parents did I don't know,
What you have told me re parents ties in with Jane Dickson 's children with Charles Gillam. The 2nd son was William and the 2nd Daughter Christina.
Jane and Charles had a large family they married in 1834 and were still according to the census, having children in the 60's with Amy c 1865.

Thank you so much for your help Hume

best wishes
Lis :)
Bailey, Stickells,  Marshall,  Hope, Morris, Wratten, Hope,  Knowler, Lonkhurst,  Gower,  Ratcliffe, Newport,  Boulden,  Stokes,  Beverley, Law, Lushington,  Parham,  Thorpe,  Piddleden,  Swaffer, Wide, Wood,  Austen, Eastes,  Hulke,  Banes, Hadley, Denne, Mullet, Dove, Mackney,all in Kent