Author Topic: Crew lists for the "Olive Branch" out of Poole  (Read 5106 times)

Offline Dunbrack

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Crew lists for the "Olive Branch" out of Poole
« on: Tuesday 25 January 11 20:30 GMT (UK) »
The Slade family, operating out of Poole, were merchants engaged in the Newfoundland Trade in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. I have a partial entry from their records which states that a George Poole sailed from Poole to Newfoundland on the "Olive Branch" on the 10th of April 1822. Does anyone know where I might find a crew list to confirm his info? I am interested in finding out whatever I can about this George Poole. Thank you.
Poole Dorset Devon Somerset Newfoundland

Offline RRYFS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Crew lists for the "Olive Branch" out of Poole
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 22:53 GMT (UK) »
This will be no help to your enquiry, but one of my clients is an estate agent in Wareham. I was working there today when a lady came in trying to find the whereabouts of a particular property. It turns out that it was demolished in the 60s but an ancestor of hers (surname Slade), who was Mayor of Wareham formerly lived there. His descendants were the Slades of Poole who were involved in the Newfoundland trade. Coincidence or what?
If you are in the area, you could ask at the History Centre in Poole Museum - if not, it might be worth giving them a ring or an e-mail, though no idea if they charge for look-ups.
Leicestershire - Yates, Wright, Pole, Blakesley
Dorset - Tilley, Hunt
Dorset/Somerset - Rogers
Dorset/Southampton - Trodd

Offline Dunbrack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 01:08 GMT (UK) »
That is a coincidence. The Slades together with the Lesters and the Garlands were the key players in the settlement of the Trinity Bay area of Newfoundland, where my ancestors come from. I'm hoping that that connection will eventually help me uncover my English roots. Thanks for the Poole Museum tip.

Offline bowman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me in the woods 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 February 11 20:56 GMT (UK) »
You might like to chech out this link http://www.archive.org/stream/cihm_08446#page/n21/mode/2up

Bowman
BEARD; BAKER; TAYLOR; SMITH: BEER

Offline Dunbrack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 February 11 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for providing the link. I actually read Harvey's book a few years back but it was good to see it again.

Offline RRYFS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 February 11 15:27 GMT (UK) »
I got round to Poole Museum today - unfortunately didn't find what you want, but perhaps a little more info. The guy there thought the name sounded familiar, but couldn't place why. We looked at all the crew lists they have, but no luck. We found the Olive Branch in a list of Poole vessels - built in 1789 with a voyage to Newfoundland shown in 1793. The owner was J Olive. The researcher thought your record might be from a later ship of the same name, but there is only the one showing. He also had an unpublished research document about Trinity, but he believed that would be all about the Lesters and the Garlands, as the Slades were further North. He said the Records Office at Dorchester (e-mail below) has more crew lists than Poole. He suggested sending them an e-mail to enquire if they have one. If you know there is one there, it will be easier to find someone who can pop in to take some details. I'll keep looking for Slade records - just from interest where did you get your original information?

archivesatdorsetcc.gov.uk

regards

Richard
Leicestershire - Yates, Wright, Pole, Blakesley
Dorset - Tilley, Hunt
Dorset/Somerset - Rogers
Dorset/Southampton - Trodd

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 February 11 15:25 GMT (UK) »
hi,
      found this dont know if it helps, (ILFRACOMBE APRIL 6 1822. the schooner OLIVE BRANCH of teignmouth, peter mann, master, bound to bristol with a general cargo, was brought into this port in a sinkinking state. she was seen near lundy island by a pilot skiff with her colours in the shrouds and when boarded the crew were about to quit her, the boat being hoisted out, and their clothes placed theirin. by great exertion at the pumps and the skiff towing the vessel was got into harbour on tuesday afternoon. when the tide ebbed from her it was discoverd that five holes had been bored from within, through her bottom to sink her, three being  in the captains state-room and two in the lockers in the cabin. the vessel is the sole property of the master, and is insured at lloyds. the mate, the captains son, has since absconded.

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 February 11 15:51 GMT (UK) »
just picking up on another mention for olive branch brief details as i am running out of time i am doing this from library (st.johns newfoundland nov 19th 1822 on the 15th inst at 5am at about a mile inside the north head of petty harbour bay and filled immidiatley the master and three of the crew were drowned)

Offline Dunbrack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 February 11 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info. The reference I have seems to indicate that the "Olive Branch" sailed out of Poole, not Teignmouth, but I'm starting to realize that this may have been a fairly common name for West Country vessels engaged in the Newfoundland trade. I think my "Olive Branch" would have been owned by the Slade family, although I can easily imagine ancestors of mine ending up on a vessel that was intentionally bottomed!

The Teignmouth origin of your reference is interesting because one of the leads I'm currently pursuing is that my Poole family ancestors came from south Devon -- from Chudleigh to Churston Ferrers before coming to the Trinity Bay area of Newfoundland sometime in the early 19th century.

Thanks again for your help. The fact that you were able to find the date when the vessel and some or all of its crew met their demise should make it fairly easy to trace.