Author Topic: Nicholas Monks  (Read 2300 times)

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nicholas Monks
« on: Wednesday 26 January 11 14:52 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any information about my father, Nicholas Monks's service in the RAF.  I have some photos a few other mementos.  Not a lot, really.   I do, however, recall him recounting tales of his time in Palestine during the 1940s, and at Fairford in Gloucestershire (I believe) later.

I'm not at all clear what the RAF was doing in Palestine, but presumably it had a war-time role, and would also have seen service in the latter days of the Mandate there, prior to the setting up of the state of Israel.

His rank was Sergeant 1902689

Can anyone help,. please?

David

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Nicholas Monks
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 16:10 GMT (UK) »
hello david

if you go to this site www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/raf.html  you will be able to download the forms to send off for your dads service record they cost £30.00 for a next of kin if your mum is still alive she can gat them for free you will need a death cert as well , also have a look at this site www.worldwar2exraf.co.uk
sincerly hope you find answers to your questions  ;)
best wishes
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline kyt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.cfww2.com Commonwealth Forces of WW2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 January 11 22:25 GMT (UK) »
There were Maintenance and Training Units based in Palestine during the war. There were also detachments of flying units there whilst the surrounding countries were under Vichy French control. Palestine also became a base of operations after the Iraqi Uprising in 1941.

For postwar RAF activity you may find this of interest:
http://www.britains-smallwars.com/Palestine/raf.htm

I see from his service number that he enlisted in late 1943. Does he have a Northern Irish connection?

Do you have his release book? There maybe information in there that may help before you get his records. If you do decide to get them, then make sure to ask for photocopies of the original file.

K

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 January 11 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello t mo and kyt

I am indebted to you both for you kind replies.

T mo,

I acted on your advice and immediately wrote seeking information.  I look forward eagerly to a response.

kyt

From conversations with my dad, and from listening in as a kid to his conversations with my aunts and uncles, I would say that he was most likely involved in the Maintenance & Training end of things.  I am certain from some of his comments that he was not aircrew.

No.  He was not Northern Irish.  He and his family, as far back as I can go (about 1760) were of County Dublin stock, and latterly of Dublin City.  My dad died in 1989 at 83.  My mum died a long time before, in 1969, so no help there.

The enlistment information you have provided is yet another piece for the jig-saw.  At times like this I could kick myself for the insouciance of youth.  There is so much information that I could have got from him....but didn't ask.

There is one point that sticks out in my memory.  He described being on a ship and from the deck seeing an eruption of Etna.  That would have taken him through the Straits of Messina.  I would have imagined the routing would have been via Malta/Gibralter.  It seems unlikely that they would have travelled by train from a port such as Naples, Genoa or Marseilles as the European railways would have been in a pitiful state after the war.  Any ideas on this strange course?

I will look at the link you have provided, but have to close now as there is a storm approaching and I must unplug everything.  Fried router is a regular event in this part of rural France - as it happens the storm is blowing in from the Med.

Thanks you both for your help.  I will come back with what information I get.

David

Offline kyt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.cfww2.com Commonwealth Forces of WW2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 January 11 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

the Dublin connection would explain it as the service block in which his number falls was assigned to Northern Ireland, and most people from the Republic travelled up North to enlist (Irland itself being neutral).

As an aside one of my interests is Eire during the war, including the many thousands who enlisted in the British forces. Did he return to Dublin after the war? Or even during the war on leave? Certain things maybe rather sensitive so if you wish to communicate by PM....especially as I have read and heard that many in Ireland treated those who joined the British forces very badly when they returned.

As for Etna, here are the dates of the eruptions:

http://boris.vulcanoetna.it/ETNA_elenco.html

It is likely that he saw the eruption in 1947, on his way back from Palestine, as the one in 1949 occured after Israel had become independent and there were no British forces left there (unless his unit moved to the Suez area after).

His records should give his unit(s) and from those we can work out when and where he was geographically based.

Just be aware that it can take several months for the records to come through. So in the meantime it maybe worth looking at what paperwork you already have.

cheers
K

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 January 11 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello again kyt,

Thank you for responding so quickly. 

Believe me there is no problem with discussing this on the open board.  Having it  public makes it available to others who may have something to gain from it.  Besides, the  days when there might have been clucking tongues are long since in the past.  My career was in the Irish civil service.  At one point responsibility for Commonwealth War Graves inm Ireland fell within my remit and I found it one of the more interesting aspects of my 42 years of servitude.  I also had a good relationship with the CWGC in Britain and enjoyed their visits to Irelan   Unfortunate aspects of history can sometimes make a situation look a lot darker than it ever was.  I add the caveat that perhaps the same could not be said for Northern Ireland and its disastrous history.

My dad was with with Sqrn 47 and did indeed return to Ireland on leave. He was eventually was based at Fairford, near Swindon/Cirencester, I believe (sorry my English local geography is not too strong)

The February March Etna eruption fits well with the very limited papers I have.  The significant one being a telegram dated 21 May 1947 calling on him to report back for duty at Fairford from leave in Dublin.  I have the vaguest memories of this.  Indeed, as I was born in 1943, it well may have been the first time I saw my father.  This document would certainly allow for his return from Palestine, seeing the volcano in action and being back in time for home leave and return to duty.

All of that said, I still cannot understand why the ship should have takes such a course - unless there was a fear of mines....  A long shot, I imagine.

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 February 11 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Sorry t mo and kyt,

I have had to make an unexpected trip - a family matter - which kept me away from the computer.  My apologies for the hiatus.

The WW 2 ex RAF site does not appear to be working.  At least I keep getting the message that any page I call up is not available.

OTOH, the site on Palestine was a big help in setting the scene in which my dad served.

I have also written to Veterans UK at RAF Cranwell.

In the interim, another small piece of information has come my way.  On the back of a small photo the word 'Quastina' is written.  Strange I never noticed this before.

I am attaching a few photos.  Perhaps they may strike a chord with someone.    The first pic is my dad in uniform.  The second is the one taken at Quastina.

BTW, I looked a a map, and contrary to my initial impression, a course through the straits of Messina would have been a more direct route for a ship returning from Palestine to Britain.

Thanks again, both, for all the help.

Regards,

David,