Author Topic: Mitchell Family  (Read 5031 times)

Offline Jellybean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mitchell Family
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 27 January 11 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi again.... I have that census now, her age had changed by quite a few yrs... ::)
I am thinking that grandchild Mary may be the dau of the unmarried Lucy.. dont know yet.
Its given me lots to think about anyway.

Regards  Jean.
PHILADELPHIA .. Sells .. McDermott .. Scheerer .. Buckwald.
LIVERPOOL .. Healey .(Healy) .. Carroll .. Jones .. Mitchell .. Gildea .. Larson .. Sells.

Offline Mr Gwynne Chadwick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 January 11 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean,

Glad you found the census record. I'll post it anyway to perhaps assist others.
I use my own fiche so I don't know what other sources may have for this entry;

1891 Census.
RG12/2094 3 - Enum. District 9. Folio 126A. Sch 33.
Quatford [mid way between Quatt, Dudmaston & Bridgnorth]

Emma MITCHELL, Head, Widow, 68 Living on own means, born Astley Abbotts, Shropshire.
Lucy MITCHELL, Dau, Single, 40, Living on own means, born Quatt, Shropshire.
Charles MITCHELL, Son, Single, 38, Living on own means, born Quatt, Shropshire.
Mary MITCHELL, Grand Dau, 11, born Darrington, Yorkshire.

Gwynne

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 January 11 23:03 GMT (UK) »
I take it it was Ann Maddocks's daughter Arabella that George married?

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 28 January 11 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean,

As promised, photograph of the headstone in Quatford churchyard.

Gwynne

Offline Jellybean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 31 January 11 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi William and Gwyne... Yes William it was Arabella that George married, they were my grt grandparents.

Thank you for the grave mem photo Gwyne. I much appreciate what you have given me. Sorry about the delay in answereing you, its just the time difference in Australia.

Also anyone advise as how i can get more info about the George Mitchell that
appeared in the assizes, i feel that might also be him as he is not on the 1871 + 1881 census.
Please is Quatt + Bridgnorth + Tadmartin all separate counties ?
The George Mitchell b1842 on 1891 census in dry dock and aboard ship Castlehead says he was born in "Densford" Bridgnorth, is this near the other places ??
Thanks  Regards  Jean.
PHILADELPHIA .. Sells .. McDermott .. Scheerer .. Buckwald.
LIVERPOOL .. Healey .(Healy) .. Carroll .. Jones .. Mitchell .. Gildea .. Larson .. Sells.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 31 January 11 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean,

I found and photographed two newspaper articles of George's court case. In view of the subject matter, I won't post details here. He was found not guilty.
Send me a Personal Message with your email address Jean if you want the reports.

Travelling South from Bridgnorth, within a few miles we have Danesford, then Quatford, Dudmaston Hall, Quatt and then Alveley. There is a Parish Church at Quatford, Quatt and Alveley.
I believe George was born in Quatt. Tadmarton? was apparently only mentioned on that 1861 Derby census.

Gwynne

Offline jaamac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 10 August 13 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am coming to this correspondence a bit late, but hoping that there is someone out there that might still have some information. I too may have an ancestor on board the Castlehead in Middlesbrough in 1891 census, same page as jellybean's G Mitchell. George Baxter, b 1874 in Rolleston, Staffordshire. Not definitely sure it is our George but have run out of alternatives. He was George William Baxter, and is thought to have traveled to Australia but I am not sure to which State, or when. I believe he died in 1941 in Australia. Does anyone know anything about the Castlehead ship - what type was it and to where did it sail?

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 10 August 13 23:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am coming to this correspondence a bit late, but hoping that there is someone out there that might still have some information. I too may have an ancestor on board the Castlehead in Middlesbrough in 1891 census, same page as jellybean's G Mitchell. George Baxter, b 1874 in Rolleston, Staffordshire. Not definitely sure it is our George but have run out of alternatives. He was George William Baxter, and is thought to have traveled to Australia but I am not sure to which State, or when. I believe he died in 1941 in Australia. Does anyone know anything about the Castlehead ship - what type was it and to where did it sail?

OK So we have a starting point is he the George Baxter with parents George/Louisa in 1881 census ref RG11/2754/23/15?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaamac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 11 August 13 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Keyboard, thanks for your message. Yes, same person. I have a lot of information on his family - parents, brothers sisters etc but of him, nothing much more - not 100% sure the 1891 census recording of George Baxter on the ship Castlehead in Middlesbrough is correct but I have not seen any record of another George Baxter born in Rolleston in 1874ish so I think it really must be him. I was given a date of death in Australia by his nephew of 7 Dec 1941, but no proof, nor any knowledge of where exactly in Australia. I also found a George William Baxter on the Ship Orissa bound for Rio in 1896. Could be him, but trail went cold. Any ideas would be welcome