Author Topic: COMPLETE Wortley Tennis Club  (Read 1081 times)

Offline en2gen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COMPLETE Wortley Tennis Club
« on: Thursday 27 January 11 18:22 GMT (UK) »
This is one of my most prized photos because it turns out I am related to 90% of the people shown. However, we cannot seem to track down the original, which was about 3x2". This copy is a digital photo from an enlargement done many years ago (technology is much improved these days). But, it is all I have and I wonder if there is any hope of improvement?

I am particularly interested in the couple to the far left. The man is holding a tea cup and the woman is seated wearing a small hat. These are the only photos the family has of this couple and it would be nice to at least be able to clip their faces enough to add them to my family book.

Any help with improving the overall quality of the photo will be much appreciated. I know I'm not giving you much to work with in this case. Sorry!

Louise
(California)

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
Re: Wortley Tennis Club
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 January 11 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Lovely photo, somewhat unusual outdoor shot.

Photo taken about 1889-1890 or so.

The lady with the visible buttons in the front row is wearing (I think) a style of hat known as Three Storeys and a Basement :D Looked like an upturned flower pot.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Counting my Blessings...not the years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 January 11 23:26 GMT (UK) »
One from me ...love the fact that the little boy at the back is resting his foot on the shoulder of the chap in front ! Kids don't change really do they ? ;D
Looks terribly English  ;)...they're drinking tea too !
Reynolds Johnson Chapman Goodyear Wright   Demmon Maddison Jackson Bush Lingard<br />Lincolnshire Northants,Essex.   Soutar  McKenzie Stuart Watt Banff, Coupar Angus, Glen Livet, Broughty Ferry, Coatbridge, Airdrie Lanarkshire and Saskatchewan, Hamilton Wentworth, Canada. Phillips. Coyne- March Cambs, Islington,Hackney 1st Lincolnshire Regt 1914

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople

Offline en2gen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 January 11 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Do you know, I never really noticed the little boy's foot before. This sepia tone is much easier to look at and I think it is clearer. So, thank you....big improvement.

Louise