Author Topic: moore family of belfast  (Read 10685 times)

Offline beresford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
moore family of belfast
« on: Sunday 17 April 05 08:27 BST (UK) »
i have two sets of moore's in my family tree and both are ggrandmothers.

mary moore born c1843 father thomas moore a labourer
married john beresford in 1865 at time of wedding place of residence was lisnevenagh witness to the wedding were james beresford ( john's brother)  and elizabeth moore which i guess was mary's sister.

a link to this moore's is the fact that james (john's witness) married mary's sister margaret moore in 1872 both couples wed in the presbyterian church by john h orr, this time margaret was living in whitehouse.

in 1901 and 1911 re census frances ann moore (sister to mary) was living with the family first in disralie st then in cornwall st and present at the birth of my grandfather was a agnes moore ( poss mother or another sister) which was also in whitehouse.

other moore

jane moore born c1854 worked as a reeler( father was david moore profession was a stonemason) married william hanna born c1863 worked as a gardener( father james hanna profession a publican) in 1894 at st ann's belfast at time of wedding they lived in henry st, they also had two children by the this time my grandmother margaret jane hanna born 1880  at glasshouse terrace and david hanna born 1885.

mary's son thomas alexander beresford  married jane's daugther margaret jane hanna in 1901 also at st ann's belfast.

they in turn had 12 children
beresford, moore, hanna, o'boyle, wall/s, mclarnon, gormley and other related names--from, donegore, antrim and Belfast, address, carrickhill place, Sydney st west, Tasmania st, lisnevanagh and islandreagh

Offline margarita

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: moore family of belfast
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 April 05 16:06 BST (UK) »
Have you seen Jean Mc Carthy's website ?

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 April 05 14:48 BST (UK) »
i have two sets of moore's in my family tree and both are ggrandmothers.

mary moore born c1843 father thomas moore a labourer
married john beresford in 1865 at time of wedding place of residence was lisnevenagh witness to the wedding were james beresford ( john's brother)  and elizabeth moore which i guess was mary's sister.

I am sure that I have been told already and ought to remember but where is  Lisnevenagh. Am I a bit muddled or did a couple of these folks work as servants on an estate ?

Best Wishes,

Christopher

Offline saz1401

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 May 05 00:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaita
What is the address for Jean McCarthy's website
please is it a rootschat one.
Just discovered I may have links to Moores too!
Have found a distant cousin in Canada!!

Thanks saz                      ;D
antrim, donegore, ballycraigy, doagh, ballysavage,  carnmoney, ballyhenry, belfast, mallusk, hydepark names - twigg, gault, robinson, stevenson, todd, kirkpatrick, porter, mayne, topping, McDowell, douglas

Offline beresford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 May 05 11:48 BST (UK) »
hi christopher

lisnevanagh is or was a townlands of the grange of shilvodan.

(see message shilvodan and nilteen)

what i was looking for was to find out if these were big estates or villages with small farms.

wedding certificate for moore and beresford just states for the place were they lived  as

lisnevanagh and islandreagh, and that they were servants.

looking at an old map of northern ireland on the UHF web site it looks as if nilteen is between  templepatrick and donegore,  and shilvodan is in the middle of aghagallonntrim, drummaul, and connor.

i was hoping that someone might know a bit about these places or at least where i can find info on them.

thanks
( maureen)

for margarita

yes thanks i've been all through jeans web site

for saz

if you put belfast street directory in your search engine it should link you to her page
beresford, moore, hanna, o'boyle, wall/s, mclarnon, gormley and other related names--from, donegore, antrim and Belfast, address, carrickhill place, Sydney st west, Tasmania st, lisnevanagh and islandreagh

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 May 05 18:20 BST (UK) »
hi beresford

Reading through my "Ordance survey memoirs fo Kilbride"
might be total off subjet but says "early settlers were of respectable class in asmuch they brought capital with them  .Prevantent names Barefoot ...corruption of Beresford

Steve
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 May 05 18:27 BST (UK) »
sorry left this out

Kilbride is in 1836 bounded by Connor in the North North east by Rashee East by Doagh South by Templepatrick and the grange  of Nilteen on the west by Donegore

Hope this helps

My family were here at the same time

Steve
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline beresford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 May 05 17:56 BST (UK) »
hi steve

thanks for that, i will contact the beresford family society and ask if they have heard of that spelling of the name.

beresford

Offline Marcus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 June 05 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Beresford, 

I am trying to trace/look for Catherine Moore, Dau, of Robert Moore, a Bootmaker. 

She married William Steel on 14 Jan. 1903 at St Enoch's Church in Belfast. 

Do you recognise any of these names at all?  I'd love to hear from you. 

Regards, 

Marcus
Berks                Smith
Dorset & Wilts  Chiveralls
Dorset              Tizard, Clark
                         Roberts, Miller,
London             Hesse, Finch, Cole,
Cumberland      Foster
Durham & Dumfriesshire   Carson
Berwickshire     Spiers/Speirs
Dundee             Alexander
London            Grigson,  Willington